Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Latex vs. Nitrile gloves

Justin C.

For those who reload and wear gloves to prevent or decrease lead exposure, does anyone know if Nitrile is more protective than Latex gloves or vice versa? Maybe it doesn't matter and both are equally protective. Maybe good handwashing after reloading is just as good as gloves. What do you know about this?

I looked into it, you have to get the lead on a mucous membrane to be absorbed. Your lungs count, so you don't want to breathe any in. The dust off of the tumbler is something to avoid breathing. Touching it with your bare hand is not a problem, picking your nose afterward is. So is handling food with dirty hands (that includes coming back from matches munching on burgers and fries from the drive thru) Spent primers (and all the associated crud) are supposed to be particularly hazardous.

I never wear gloves but I am absolutely insane about washing up after reloading or shooting.

I requested a test in January and the Doc said I was fine (he didn't give me a number).

Edited by aceinyerface

Unless you are just one of those overly cautious types you don't need gloves to reload. Heck I drink and eat while I reload, and it doesn't seem to bother me or cause my lead content to go up. I blow my tumbler out in the garage every time I switch from Walnut to corn cobb. Nadda. My lead count was really low when I had it checked after reloading for 4 years or so. I think the worst is shooting indoors as far as lead is concerned.

As with a lot of what the government tells us is bad it is almost impossible to get enough in your system unless you eat and swallow it. It does effect children faster, but that is due to them chewing on the lead chips,flakes along with the smaller body systems they have and faster traveling time in a smaller body.

Nitrile are better for chemicals and other grease based material, I do use the nitrile gloves when doing some tasks with reloading. But mostly to keep my hands clean. And easier clean up. I also wear them working in the shop and on vehicles. Can't beat them, After painting banners, and signage for years,with lead based paint. Along with the solvents some of which are neuro-toxions As they became widely available I started using them. With the Harbor Fright nitrile,s on sale every other month and the discount coupons for 20 or 25% you can't beat em. The heavier weight are better, less tearing and more puncture resistant.

I can say that I know a couple of strippers that would palate the brush on the palm of the hand for 30 years and no increase in lead levels. But started using gloves anyway made clean up easy!

It is a personnel preference thing.

Edited by glenr

Nitrile are more resistant to solvents than latex. Clean your guns with traditional cleaning solvents using latex gloves, and odds are, the gloves will fall apart before you finish. With nitrile gloves, you can probably reuse the same pair for multiple cleaning sessions. Either should be fine for keeping your hands clean...as long as they hold together.

I work in one of the country' largest indoor ranges, have reloaded thousands of rounds a week of lead ammo for years. All I do is wash my hands like I would before dinner. I take annual lead test and have no more lead then a non shooter. Everyone shows some lead exposure due to dust on the roads from the lead gas days.....

Even all the quail, dove and grouse I've eaten with some missed bird shot never hurt a thing...just be prudent. I'd guess gas spilled on your hands filling up your car is much more dangerous. The ONLY range officers we have that test high are the ones that do not wear their mask during cleanup,,,,they get fired.

C

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy

Everyone shows some lead exposure due to dust on the roads from the lead gas days.....

I'd guess gas spilled on your hands filling up your car is much more dangerous.

Leaded gasoline hasn't been available in the United States for 20 years, it is hard to believe that roads have much lead dust remaining on them, they have been repaved and washed down thousands of times.

As already stated, lead does not (practically speaking) get absorbed through skin, so gloves are not needed.

Besides the already correctly mentioned washing your hands before touching your mucous membrains, there is another very effective way for lead to enter your body - fumes, while shooting indoors.

There you are talking about some SERIOUS absorption, so never shoot indoors without the fan running. When outdoors, try not to breathe the smoke either. Most primers spit out the lead compound that gets absorbed like crazy - lead styphnate.

In general, it is not the metallic lead, but its organic compounds that are the worst. For instance, smelting is pretty harmless.

Edited by Foxbat

• 2 weeks later...

I use nitrile gloves often when I'm cleaning guns, but not when reloading.

I haven't even seen latex gloves in a store for a number of years. Seems everywhere has pretty well switched over to nitrile, due to latex allergies. That being said, I haven't looked all that hard for latex.

Although latex seems more stretchy and fits more tightly to the hands, giving a better fit.

Once my box of nitrile runs out, I might see if I can find latex on Amazon. The post about solvents eating them has me wondering a little, but it's not like they cost a whole lot.