Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which gun(s) rule CCP?

bigdawgbeav

I realize that IDPA must draw the line somewhere but as I read the rules they have ruled out the Colt Commander with it's 4.25 barrel?

Not just the Commander but the Beretta 92 compact which is also 4.25".

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wanted to shoot my SIG P228 in this division. The barrel is under 4" but the width is 1.5 inches in one spot at the decocker, slide stop and the grip in that area. I am thinking of getting extra parts and sanding the grip down and taking a dremel to the slide stop and deocker to get it to fit.

Has anyone tried the new HK VP9 to see if it will fit in this new CCP idpa box?

According to the specs.. the VP9 fits the bill... (almost exactly)

4.09" barrel (4.1 is max)

1.32" wide (1.375 is max)

I'm wondering if 1.32" is the gun at the widest point, which should be at the slide releases.

Kool Aid wrote; "Expect to see some frankenguns sneak into local matches when folks figure out that a lot of compact uppers will fit on their full-sized SSP/ESP frames and still make dimensions."

Hey..I resemble that remark :) Those CZ guns with full size frames and compact uppers were named Semi Compacts or Jerry's Specials and were sold by CZ at various times in the CZ75's past.

I'm shooting one and don't consider I'm "sneaking" it into a local match. Using the word "sneak" implies you think it's an "illegal" IDPA gun. Can you cite (or is it site?) a reference? Decent used Uppers aren't all that easy to find..I know, .

Edited by Odessa Straight

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished "tuning" my new CCP gamer gun. Kimber Pro Carry HD. Full size steel frame. 4.0" cone barrel. A 200 gr. LSWC bullet screaming along at 635 fps is just visceral. The recoil is brutal. Hope I don't shatter my wrist bones.

Jim, I shot my G23 in Montgomery for 3 of the 6 stages. I shot it better than my G35. I even got a bold number on one of the stages. I think I am going to have Josh cut the slide on the Kimber for an adjustable rear sight. I don't care for the look of the fixed rear it came with. That old slick grip G23 does shoot pretty nice though. All this gun stuff is interfering with my Mustang supercharger project.

• 3 weeks later...

I know a lot of folks are trying to come up with 'gamer guns' for this CCP division, but I figure it's a great place to shoot what you carry to gain some serious practice, and I'm not sure it's really going to hurt you.

I shot a 105 CCP Classifier yesterday with the gun I carry daily -- S&W M&P 9c with Advantage Tactical sights. That's not too far off from what I do with my SSP/ESP M&P 9mm. I made SSP MA with that gun a while back with a 93 (that's when SSP MA was somewhere around 98... not sure I could make MA today at 91).... and know I can't make ESP MA at 89.... "Distinguished Senior" has some disadvantages.

Why not trot out what you wear daily and have some fun with it? I lot of folks shoot a big gun in matches and carry a little gun in Real Life. What's not to love about a division that lets you shoot your carry gun?

I talked to a shooter today whom I know well. Shoots Glocks. SSP MA. Said he shot a 85 CCP Classifier with his G19. I have no reason to doubt him. He also said that was the best Classifier he had ever shot.

• 3 weeks later...