Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak hand shooting

Onepocket

When you say "aim at he edge of the A zone respective to the hand" You aim at the left perf of the A with the left hand and visa verse for the right? Is that to compensate for the trigger Pull?

"2. Aim at the edge of the A zone respective of which hand you are using"

That's interesting :closedeyes:

Strong hand - I aim at target center and my accuracy is good (slow, but good).

Weak (left) hand I have to aim at about the left perforation line and that is usually good enough.

The best two shooters I know personally (one revolver) both aim at center of target regardless. I need to re-watch the Ben Stoeger DVD but I'm pretty sure that he aims at target center, he has other tips on transitioning the gun to weak hand and etc., it is a good watch if you get opportunity.

I think my aiming left with left (weak) hand has to do with my crappy trigger control and a too weak grip.

Edited by IHAVEGAS

Compensating your aim to left or right of target only masks the problem. Dryfire a lot and regularly until it feels natural and automatic. Practice will teach you everything about the technique.

Edited by BoyGlock

• 6 months later...

Bring elbow down a bit and then practice.

Very little practice can yield huge gains against the competition.

I mean little, like 15-20 rounds a session. Covering draws and transfers and multiple shots across a couple targets. It just doesn't take much to gain a lot WHO.

Bring elbow down a bit and then practice.

Very little practice can yield huge gains against the competition.

I mean little, like 15-20 rounds a session. Covering draws and transfers and multiple shots across a couple targets. It just doesn't take much to gain a lot WHO.

that's a LOT compared to most people, lol.

one method i recommend is injure your strong hand in some catastrophic manner that requires surgery, maybe cut a tendon or something. Then you can spend a couple months where you can ONLY train and shoot weak hand. It will help your strong hand shooting too, by giving you more fundamental awareness of trigger control and what the sights are doing.

Having endured the 8th surgery of my life in 2015 with a complete recovery I can tell you unequivocally that the above is not on any recommended path to shooting greatness I'm aware of ... :)

Edited by Nimitz

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a tip from a champion shooter to not try gripping the gun too hard during support-hand-only shooting. The recoil isn't going to be under anywhere near the degree of control we have with two-handed shooting, but our accuracy is what's important.

Having endured the 8th surgery of my life in 2015 with a complete recovery I can tell you unequivocally that the above is not on any recommended path to shooting greatness I'm aware of ... :)

lol, yeah, I don't know if I would choose to do it, but if you happen to sever a tendon and some nerves (like I did in october), I guess you can cry about it, or you can make it a positive. For sure, I have come out of it shooting better than I ever have and improving more quickly, even tho my finger is still only semi-functional.

Well actually that was surgery #4 for me back in 1997 when I tried to cut off my weak hand index finger with a table saw .... I may be dumb but I'm quick. When I felt the saw hitting my bone I managed to jerk my finger off the table. makes for an interesting X-Ray where you can see this nice, clean 1/8" cut kerf right through half the bone above the 2nd knuckle ....

My weak hand trigger finger is fused. It is impossible to pull the trigger straight back. At 10 yds I aim at the middle of the C. WHO is usually just a classifier skill. As long as your trigger pull is consistent I wouldn't worry about about where you aim.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to avoid WHO and SHO shooting. I figured that for the percentage of times that you encounter a stage that requires it compared to the number of stages where you are able to use both hands it wasn't worth dedicating my limited practice time and ammo to it. I am now a believer that practicing what is more difficult can have a big effect on that skill and others associated with it also. As has already been mentioned, developing skill at shooting WHO will also improve your freestyle shooting. It develops minor muscles that don't usually get much work with two handed shooting. Those minor muscles help to steady/balance the gun. This will help to steady the sights when you transition from target to target between acquisition of a sight picture and trigger pull. It will also give you confidence which can translate into more relaxed firing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Stance is also important. For weak hand stance, i pretty much use my same free-style stance and just concentrate on the draw, pistol transition from strong to weak hand, and then make sure my strong hand fist is firmly against my chest.

For strong hand shots, I tend to want to keep my same free-style stance, but really have to concentrate/focus on changing feet position so that my strong side foot is more forward. Then the weak hand/fist gets pressed into my chest while shooting.