Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak hand shooting

Onepocket

Shooting weak hand will really help you shoot two handed -

you are forced with weak hand to control the trigger - the

slightest mistake with the trigger will make you miss big-time.

Practice the transition from strong hand (the draw) to your

weak hand - learn where to put your fingers of the strong

hand to make it easier to secure a proper grip with the weak

hand as quickly and easily as possible. With an EMPTY

gun at first.

And, control the trigger.

Practice when and how you prefer to remove the safety -

strong or weak hand? When do you feel comfortable

removing the safety?

BTW, the recoil will tend to push the gun a little to one side,

so you'll have to aim a little right or left to hit the target, if

you're shooting a gun that recoils.

PRACTICE, slowly and safely. :cheers:

You'll be amazed at how much this will also improve your

two handed shooting.

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

Dry fire

Practice the draw and transfer the gun

I heard a tip once that I tend to use which is to grab the gun a little lower on the grip on the draw so you can get the weak hand grip faster. This works much better with a magwell equipped gun. I can grab the magwell with my hand

I shoot NRA Action Pistol which requires a weak-hand string at 10 yards on one event. To strengthen my weak-hand shooting, I go to our bi-weekly Bullseye match and shoot it weak-hand only. That has helped more than anything else I've tried to strengthen that part of my shooting.

Just something worth trying, IMHO.

Alan~^~

I was at Nationals one year, shooting the Standards course. Mike Seeklander was to my left. I use to suck at weak/strong hand.

Mike tucked his chin into his shoulder when shooting weak/strong hand. Then I had a long conversation with Taran Butler about it. Taran said to always practice what your are not good at doing in a match. Next, I shot a lot of .22 rounds at paper plates. Finally, I had access to a 4 inch .22 plate rack-UNFORGIVING on technique.

Just to brag, at Rio Salado one year, I shot Kyle's Standards course, I tied a National Champion for that COF and I am just a B shooter.

Here is my approach:

1. Tuck the chin into the shoulder and I pretty much lock my arm to reduce muzzle flip

2. Aim at the edge of the A zone respective of which hand you are using

3. Practice with a .22 and learn visual patience with trigger control-I do not tilt my gun, straight up and down just like freestyle

4. Practice with paper plates-start at 7 and work you way to twenty.

5. Practice with more paper plates

One thing that has helped me with either strong or weak hand that i haven't seen mentioned is to make a fist with the other hand and pull it up into your opposite chest and keep tension on it. It seems to create a girdle of muscles between both arms and your chest that help to keep the gun steady. And you don't have the other arm just hanging/swinging around like a counterweight.

I also tilt the gun inward just a bit because when I hold each arm out in front of me but with my forearms relaxed, that's the position my hand seems to be in as opposed to using muscles to twist my forearm bones (radius and ulna?) just to hold the gun straight up. Plus they do it on tv and it looks cool. ;)

I try to start and end each practice with group shooting, I begin at 7 yds with slowfire free style, then SHO and finish with WHO. Goal is to be able to shoot the same points WHO as freestyle. Move back and keep the same goal. I can shoot the same points WHO with my revolver as free style, just slower. If you have a revolver use it to dryfire weakhand. Watch the sight and focus on controlling the movement as you squeeze the trigger.

Paul

One thing that has helped me with either strong or weak hand that i haven't seen mentioned is to make a fist with the other hand and pull it up into your opposite chest and keep tension on it. It seems to create a girdle of muscles between both arms and your chest that help to keep the gun steady. And you don't have the other arm just hanging/swinging around like a counterweight.

Very solid tip. While gripping with both hands and going out to extension, you create good muscle tension across your chest, back, and core. Getting your hand up and tensing your core helps re-create much of that lost tension.

Back in the day when I shot PPC, our team would get together for practice and, about once a month or so, we would practice nothing but off hand shooting. The biggest issue I see nowadays with people shooting offhand is lack of trigger control. When required to shoot with your offhand only (as in Action Pistol) I will 2nd the practice of making a fist with your strong hand and putting it in the middle of your chest and 'blading' yourself a little more than usual toward the target.

As a side note and somewhat related, I've been an LEO since 1978 and qualify yearly. Over the years I've seen a trend of getting away from any meaningful offhand shooting. We used to have to shoot barricade from the 25 yard line and if you shot from the right, you used your right hand and if you shot from the left you used your left hand. It could be 2 hand grips but the side of the barricade dictated which trigger finger you used. This was a good practice and I understood the principle of presenting the least amount of target exposed from behind a barricade. Now they will let you shoot with either hand from either side and only require a 6 shoot string from 10 yards with offhand only in 10 seconds. I suppose I understand the reasoning behind it, but over the years I've seen a real decline in the ability of people who can shoot fair with their offhand. Not good, but just fair. I know that my feelings also stem from my competitive side of shooting. Why should they be any better if they aren't required to?

By the way, I still qualify with my left hand from 25 yards just because I can.

Old Man Rant OFF. Carry on....

• 2 weeks later...

Since I switched from a glock to the CZ 75, my weak hand shooting has gotten much slower. I assume its due to the weight of the CZ. Transitions are tougher, feels like I have an anvil in my hand, lol.

• 1 month later...

I was at Nationals one year, shooting the Standards course. Mike Seeklander was to my left. I use to suck at weak/strong hand.

Mike tucked his chin into his shoulder when shooting weak/strong hand. Then I had a long conversation with Taran Butler about it. Taran said to always practice what your are not good at doing in a match. Next, I shot a lot of .22 rounds at paper plates. Finally, I had access to a 4 inch .22 plate rack-UNFORGIVING on technique.

Just to brag, at Rio Salado one year, I shot Kyle's Standards course, I tied a National Champion for that COF and I am just a B shooter.

Here is my approach:

1. Tuck the chin into the shoulder and I pretty much lock my arm to reduce muzzle flip

2. Aim at the edge of the A zone respective of which hand you are using

3. Practice with a .22 and learn visual patience with trigger control-I do not tilt my gun, straight up and down just like freestyle

4. Practice with paper plates-start at 7 and work you way to twenty.

5. Practice with more paper plates

When you say "aim at he edge of the A zone respective to the hand" You aim at the left perf of the A with the left hand and visa verse for the right? Is that to compensate for the trigger Pull?

That's interesting :closedeyes:

• 2 months later...

This is very difficult for me. I don't practice it enough with live fire, but I do more with dry firing. But for me, I still get that rush when the timer goes off that makes me shake a lot more weak handed. My red dot becomes about a one-inch long blur that I try to time the middle of the blur with the A-zone. Maybe too much coffee, but it's annoying how much I shake the gun weak handed. :blush:

Lots of good advice above. Here is another tip that I didn't see mentioned, shoulder strengthening. I do shoulder exercises with dumbbells and it has helped considerably for my one handed shooting. Along with forearm exercises so I can grip the gun harder without trying. It will be much easier to hold 3lbs worth of gun steady when you have good shoulder strength.

Edited by MrPostman

the best technique I've ever seen for shooting either SHO or WHO is by Mike Seeklander ... its a little too difficult to expalin adequately here so I'll jut recommend gettting his viedo that goes with his book. It is a significantly better and more consistent technique then the popular "turn the gun sideways' ganster ghetto technique a lot use ....

Buy a left hand rig and use it. Become a left hand shooter (If you are already right handed) I had surgery on my right hand a couple years ago and did this. I shot slower but I shot clean matches. Using the left hand rig brought back the weak hand skills I had developed shooting PPC.

gzo; sorry for the late reply. Yes.

I don't cant the gun and although when shooting a .22 plate rack POA and POI are the same when I am in a match, I see a slight tendency to push or pull the trigger. So my shots are a little off center and a at 20+ yrds and aiming at the edge still has my rounds in solid in the A zone.