Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best open pistols ?

zipollini

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BoyGlock" data-cid="2341891" data-time="1424693115"><p><p>Exactly! How thick do you want it?

As thick as it can be to cut down on flex. Just a tiny bit of flex at the mounting point is greatly magnified where the optic is mounted.

You can see your optic flexing?? STI does make a wide frame

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BoyGlock" data-cid="2341891" data-time="1424693115"><p><p>Exactly! How thick do you want it?

As thick as it can be to cut down on flex. Just a tiny bit of flex at the mounting point is greatly magnified where the optic is mounted.

STI slides are plenty thick enough to run a screw into. This is why there are (or should be) 5 screws. Slow mo shows that everything flexes anyway.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BoyGlock" data-cid="2341891" data-time="1424693115"><p><p>In comparison to the Tanfoglio frame the STI is much thinner in that area, which is why most STI mounts have 5 holes drilled instead of the 4 on the Tanfo.

Well, the reason for the five holes is the split in difference in the original three holes that was started with the Serendipity mount/holes. When they went to single-sided, they had to either stay with three or split the difference with the spacing left between the three (.750) so two more holes in the middle were added to keep it rigid. You can run with three and some older mounts did but five holes separated at .375 made more sense anyway.

In fact, I broke off a screw in the frame one time and ran mine with four screws for a long time without any ill effects.

STI slides are plenty thick enough to run a screw into. This is why there are (or should be) 5 screws. Slow mo shows that everything flexes anyway.
I wasn't saying that it doesn't get the job done, only stating that I prefer the thicker frame for less flex. All steel has a certain amount of flex and as logic dictates a thicker frame is going to flex less than a thinner one. The Tanfoglio frame is visibly thicker and uses a larger screw diameter for increased strength and more gripping force due to the higher torque capacity of the larger fasteners.

STI'S frame are made from 4140, that grade of steel is pretty amazing stuff when read all the things that it can be used for. If the frames did not flex they would crack more often because there is no give. Aluminum is stiffer then steel and cracks easier than steel, that's why there are 5 holes not 3. It not the frame that causes the cracks it's the mount.

Hey just to clarify I do like my STI and I do feel it is the best open gun I have had to date. I understand that the steel does flex and I posted that earlier in this thread. My point is that I would like the steel to be thicker in that area especially since it is on the most expensive gun out of the ones I listed in my post on my personal impressions of each gun. So when I spend anywhere from $2500 to upwards of $5000 on a full custom build using the same frame I prefer something that is better than "adequate". Infinity may have a stronger frame than STI and the CK Arms offering may be as well but I don't know because I have not seen one in person. I was comparing it to the Tanfo frame which is much thicker, I will post some pics if I need to just to prove my statements if need be.

Thousands of shooters shoot STIs with a cmore mounted on single sided mount and for the most part aside from broken screws it works. I didn't say that it doesn't work as it obviously does. Do I think that adding a few ounces of steel in this area of the frame to thicken it would be beneficial? Yes. Just because something works doesn't mean it can't be improved upon, and I feel this would be an improvement. My opinion is just that, an opinion and nothing more. If you agree then cool if you don't then that's cool too. I'm sure that a couple of extra ounces isn't going to make the gun unshootable once the buzzer sounds lol.

I Shot a Tang/Witness Silver cup in 9x21 for years back when it was 175 PF. That gun took me a long way, but the weeknss in that gun at the time was the frames cracking at the slide stop. I made sure that all my practice was with light loads and I only pushed her on match day. that being said she took me a long way. Now I have my 2011 and love it. The 2011 is the 350 Chevy of race guns, plenty of parts, many gun smiths can work on them. The EAA/CZ .... not so much. I like both I have owned both My hands are actually a bit on the smaller side, the silver cups fit me well the gold cups with the slightly bigger frame did not. Slight modification to my 2011 grips and it fits like a glove. Ask to shoot a few of the different guns you see at the range. Many great builders out there as well.

i love the looks and feel of the tanfo/cz guns and wouldn't hesitate to buy an open gun in that platform. but over the years I've known several people to have reliability issues with open tanfos. (i think because of the uspsa major power factor is a little higher than ipsc) if you stay on top of maintenance I'm sure it'll work just fine. I would go with a used sti to start with or that new sti dvc if you want something new, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with any of them.

2011 platform seem to be where everyone ends up, so like the guys have all said, start there if your serious. We are in the midst of testing comps and porting and the preliminary results show two kinds of open set ups.

1:Soft shooting= gun bounces a bit and may recoil up and to the right, but is softer in the hand (just comp or comp with poppel holes)

2:Flat shooting= gun has a straight up and down lift that is short but hits the hand a bit harder (v ports and comp or break)

Some folks will like one or the other, i think testing will show the flat guns to be faster for the top shooters but i don't have any hard data on that just yet

Best

My 2cents: I started off with a kimber 1911 in idpa then moved right into open with a Bedell open gun. Beautiful gun but I didn't like the polymer grips. I wanted more weight to the gun. STILL had an aluminum grip tha had problems with cracking. It all changed when SV started making steel grips. I got my hands on an SV limited gun and haven't looked back. I now have an open build within SV which should arrive in Sept.

Dan Bedell, SV and Akia custom all offer metal grips. You can't go wrong with any of these custom guns. I prefer SV.

• 2 months later...

Why is soft and flat together not an option? If you're redirecting the gasses, why isn't it possible to tune so that forces are being negated instead of increasingly violent?

Because the "violence" comes from not only the recoil force, but also the sound, heat and light, combined with the force of the slide impacting the frame and many other factors.

You can have soft and flat together to a degree, but in my experience more weight/length comes with it; there are a million and one trade offs to be made and only you can decide what you prefer.

Seems simple enough to tune the slide impact, stroke it, up the spring rate a bit. I'm certain the gun would be more happy with less of a violent metal on metal impact.

The blast, yeah. The SVI IMM poppleholes gun gave me a headache in a few shots, but damn if it wasn't amazing for those few.