Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trubor Trigger Problem

pbcaster45

I posted some of this in the reloading section but maybe it's got a better chance in General Gunsmithing.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=208784

Sometimes when I load a magazine in my STI Trubor 38 Super the trigger locks up. Here are the symptoms:

1. Trigger will not depress with loaded magazine.

2. Works normally when operated right handed (I'm left handed)

4. When the trigger jams it will work if the trigger pad is depressed on the left corner

HOLD IT! Just noticed this one! (Should have noticed this at the range!)

5. I've got three magazines

a. 17 round magazine does this every time

b. 20 round original magazine does it intermittently

c. 20 round extra magazine from Brownells does not do this at all!

The reason it worked with an empty magazine was because that's the good one!

I'm still stumped but I'm getting somewhere! :blink:

Edited by pbcaster45

I had the same problem with my Trubor a while ago. The trigger bow was bent. Actually I think I bent it out of shape by squeezing the hell out of it against the grip safety. It was fine with certain mags and intermittent with others. There was just enough variance in the mag bodies that some hit the trigger bow and some didn't.

So I straightened the bow and gave it a little clearance inside the front edge; that's where it was hitting the offending magazines. It's been perfect ever since.

I also disabled the grip safety. :)

Yes, it's a new gun. I was starting to wonder if the trigger bow might be the problem, looking up through the magazine well it looks good. I mean the sides of the bow look good, haven't looked at the back where it meets the grip safety. The fact that touching the trigger on the corner frees the trigger makes me think that might be the problem. Could burrs on the magazine holes cause problems too?

Edited by pbcaster45

I had a similar problem with my STI Open gun. I bought some new mags and that is when the problem started. Turned out that the hole/slot for the mag catch was a bit too small and this in turn would no allow the mag catch to seat fully and would lock up the trigger. If you have other STI mags and they don't have the same problem then I would be very wiling to bet that this is the issue. I had to open up the rectangular hole a bit and then the trigger worked as it should.

Here is the post from when I had the problem

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=182627

post-43369-0-48646200-1422905807_thumb.j

This is the slot I had to open up a bit, height wise. If you have mags that don't show the trigger problem, measure that slot, then compare it to the mags where you have the issues. If remember correctly, mine were only off by a few 1000ths but it made difference enough that the mag catch wouldn't fully close.

I just got in another 140 mm magazine from Brownells and it causes the trigger to jam too. I'm more and more convinced that the magazines are binding up against the trigger bow. I might try marking the magazines with something and see if they develop a rub mark from the trigger. Or maybe I'll just take the trigger out like Raymond suggested and check the fit.

This thread sounds similar, except my trigger bow is binding on the sides when a magazine is inserted.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=187675

"trigger bow is at minimum tolerance and the magazines are at maximum"

Of course it's a new gun... maybe I should just send it to STI.

Edited by pbcaster45

You def need to pull the trigger out and look at it. Look for burrs with the grip, I will sometimes take a few strokes in the trigger bow channel and then lightly apply some oil to the trigger bow. Look for the bow to be straight that goes around the mags. If you don't feel comfortable send it STI or a local gunsmith.

Sound like the mag catch as others have stated. Try all the above solutions. Also, remove the slide and look into the frame from above; grip like you would when shooting and press and hold the trigger to see if it is bowing into the mag channel. Just process of elimination. Let us know how it turns out, might help someone in the future. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure it's the trigger bow. In the photo the trigger bow is not flush with the frame on the right side. I think its making contact with most of my magazines and binding the trigger. Should be able to fix it using a stirrup die. I could just send it to STI but it looks pretty easy to fix.

CloseupofTriggerBow.jpg

StirrupDie.jpg

• 1 month later...

I ended up sending the gun back to STI for warranty work, got it back yesterday (three weeks). They adjusted the trigger bow and it no longer binds - can't wait to take it to the range! Didn't cost me a dime, they paid the shipping too!

I had a chance to check out the Trubor this weekend and it's all good. Tried it with N105 and all I can say is "Wow!" The stuff I've heard about N105 was all true.

Bullet: Hornady 125 gr. HAP (#35572B)
Powder: VihtaVuori N105 9.5
Primer: Winchester Small Rifle
Case: Starline 38 Super +P
LOAL: 1.240
Recoil Spring: Factory 8 lbs.

IMG_0230.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have ad the same issue. All mags worked in my Edge but a few would t in the steelmaster . Trigger bow was at min tolerance and mags were at max causing the bow to hit the front of the mag not letting the trigger release. I replaced the trigger and problem solved. The fine folks at STI knew what was wrong before I could finish explaining my dilemma .