Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST for years, is Solo 1000 noticeable improvement?

kreativecid

Finishing up 8 pounds of WST. Shoot 5" 45acp and 9mm 1911, lower PF, always Bear Creek moly (135RN, thinking of 147g, and 200swc or 230RN). Like everything about WST: clean, smoke free, have years of data.

But Solo 1000 is tempting because the grass is always greener on the other side, right?! Can anyone compare the softness of the two especially in 9mm? Is Solo1000 clean and smoke-free like WST?

Or would this be a lateral move at best?

A bind and I tested a bunch of powders (when they were more available) in 9 and .40.

E3, titegroup, solo 1000, clays, and WST. WST felt the worst out of the bunch for both of us in 9mm. It felt like a small firecracker going off in your hands compared to the others.

Couldn't do a comparison on smoke as we were shooting plated bullets but I have used solo with various coated and moly bullets. Very little smoke.

You bring up a point I didn't think of: availability. It's been so long since I purchased powder. I've been dealing with the 22LR availability (always seem to find inventory at non hoarder prices, knock on steel billet). Guess I should do a search for what's out there and at what price. Thanks for the reply!

A bind and I tested a bunch of powders (when they were more available) in 9 and .40.

E3, titegroup, solo 1000, clays, and WST. WST felt the worst out of the bunch for both of us in 9mm. It felt like a small firecracker going off in your hands compared to the others.

Couldn't do a comparison on smoke as we were shooting plated bullets but I have used solo with various coated and moly bullets. Very little smoke.

Solo 1000 is more accurate in my guns than WST, but then, AA2, 231/HP38, Red Dot, and Bullseye are even more accurate.

Perceived recoil is just that--perceived. You have to determine what feels best to you. I prefer the speed of getting back on target of a bit more snap, whereas most want a gentle push. You need to find what works best for you.

Like Solo 1000 in 9mm minor using heavy bullets. I doesn't meter well, light flake powder and fills the case.

Don't think you could get enough Sol 1000 in the case to use 115 gn bullets. Soft shooting fairly clean accurate.

Solo 1000 slows rapidly when it heats up, need to load for the seasons.