Poll - G34, SP-01 or P09 for production and 3G

Nebwake

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For 3GN and clubs with similar rules, all pistol starts are with an unloaded chamber so DA first shot is no factor, it isn't used. Having a nice big serrated slide surface to rack the first round in is a factor. So is being able to reliably, quickly safe the gun and dump it in one motion.

For high mag capacity, low purchase cost & trigger-tuning cost, easy racking, and quickly dumping a safe gun, I like the P-09 with the decocker. I've only messed with one at a gun store but used the decocker several times: it's idiot-proof and falls right under my thumb. The Shadow and similar guns by contrast have ambi-safeties that can be very sloppy from side-side and require you to push the left side UP. I've tried (empty gun) to dump my Shadows at home using my trigger finger to hold the right-side lever up "just in case" and it doesn't reliably keep the gun safe, because of the parts slop.

Man thats pretty unanimous towards the 34! Looking at mags alone, the glock saves me $100! Them damn cz mags must be made of platinum.

Why would you use cz mags when mecgar makes better mags that last longer for $25?

If you really like glock, they probably work fine. I personally prefer the feel of a cz or 1911. For uspsa, I think it's a no-brainer to go with cz. For 3-gun, the point about the safety is valid. It's one less thing to worry about when abandoning a gun (and who wouldn't want to abandon a glock, lol).

Sorry guys, my sentence was poorly worded.

I meant, if you put a GUN WITH a safety on the table, there's a possibility of it coming off.

Since the Glock has no manual safety, that possibility doesnt exist. Sorry for the confusion.

Man thats pretty unanimous towards the 34! Looking at mags alone, the glock saves me $100! Them damn cz mags must be made of platinum.

Why would you use cz mags when mecgar makes better mags that last longer for $25?

If you really like glock, they probably work fine. I personally prefer the feel of a cz or 1911. For uspsa, I think it's a no-brainer to go with cz. For 3-gun, the point about the safety is valid. It's one less thing to worry about when abandoning a gun (and who wouldn't want to abandon a glock, lol).

Mecgar doesn't P09 mags or P07 mags (that are sold as Mecgar) so you can only buy the pricey factory ones that are around $45

Whats the deal with the sp01 safety? Is it a poor design or what? I have only played with the decocker model in the gun store. Does the extended safety solve the issue?

Not really.

The pivot poin on it is all kinds of weird. The ledge is not exactly positioned properly either. You have to use more of the base of the pad of your thumb rather than the tip of your thumb to disengage it.

For 3 gun there is a reason most shooters do not shoot the CZ. . The safety lacks a positive Detent and I've seen them come off from just laying them on their side. I vote for Glock 34 for the simple reason that you can never be DQ for not having the pistol on safe.

If you're really in love with the SP01 you could do the 'drop mag, rack slide' maneuver, adding maybe 1.0 to your time. Otherwise yeah, I can imagine the shag shifting on the pistol dump's rug remnant & that being enough put the Shadow off safe. With a G34 you'd just have to be sure your safety trigger pops forward. Some Glocks with the heavy trigger spring don't do that every time.

from what you described on the features and such you should go with the G34 unless theres a chance you want to look at some 2011's since you like 1911's, you asked what the "others" people were voting for, I don't know about others but for me it was the 2011

If i was only going for 3 gun i would get a 2011, but here locally there is only a few 3 gun matches. We rotate 3gun, steel and uspsa every 2 weeks. So i want a gun for production as well (i will still shoot my 1911 in steel)

If your doing double duty between 3G and USPSA, why not a 2011 in .40 SW? Can run .40 major and shoot USPSA Limited and run .40 minor for 3G. That way you are always running the same gun/mags with same capacity (instead of being limited to 10 in production). 40 minor recoil is a mouse fart IMO and if you are getting it from Atlanta/Freedom/Universal the price difference between 40 and 9mm is negligible, especially since you say you prefer 1911s

If you are going to stick with your poll choices I would do the same thing with a Glock, and its what I do with my XDM. Run it 40 major when I shoot USPSA, and 40 minor when I shoot 3 gun. I have found that I don't miss the extra couple of shots a 9mm would give me since a vast majority of the time you have time to do a reload on the move long before you get get low. At least that has been my experience.

Edited by Iggy42

Yea I think I will end up with a G34 simply because of cost. Even though I had a chance to fondle a CZC shadow target that my LGS had in stock (they had 12 come in!!) that I really didnt want to put down. There was just the SLIGHTEST bit of grit in the double action trigger, but im sure that it would get smooth after break in. BAd thing is they were 1379+tax :blink: which isnt a bad price for what it is I guess, but man its more than this enlisted soldier with 2 kids in daycare can afford !

I got my 34 g4 a few days ago and it's pretty nice. I put 50 rounds through it so far. It's no 1911 but I can get use to it. The trigger is positioned lower than the trigger on a 1911 frame so that's gona take some getting use to. All in all I think it's a good deal for an affordable 3 gun pistol.

Edited by louu

You know, i started to price together everything guys are doing to glocks these days for production and you can EASILY get above 1300 with mags, trigger, springs and rods, after market barrels ect! Even more for 3 gun with basepads and magwells!

Yea i played with a p09 the other day and was decently impressed. The safety seemed to be in the wrong spot for my grip though. I found a g34 all done for a very resonable price for whats done to it. Worst case if i dont like it, i wont lose much if anything on it if i sell. Beauty of buying used ;) if a used p09 pops up ill probably have to snag one up. I think im going to go shoot one once the local indoor range gets them up for rental.

However, to get started with a cheap trigger, sights and 3 more mags its super reasonable, especially with blue label pricing ;). Perhaps down the road ill snag a cz for production, or maybe a ts for limited ;)

Just as an FYI, CZ does Mil/Leo discounts. A P09 is cheaper than a G34, an Sp01 is a little more. The P09 mags are more expensive and the SP01 mags are about the same. There is also extra power safety detent springs if you really feel the need to throw the gun into the dump box.

CZC basepads are the same cost as TTI, though doesnt come in as many colors

Trigger work is about the same cost but you end up with a nicer trigger on the CZ imo

Holsters are more limited with the CZ

Glocks are far less complicated