Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DB9FS - A great new production gun, that isn't, yet...

Sorry I have been neglecting this thread a bit. I do have some updates to post, so I'll try to to find some time to do so soon. I ended up just getting more magazines directly from DB at $25 a pop, it wasn't any worse than anywhere else. Let me find the photo's of the Beretta mags and I'll post em for you.

I have also made a custom kydex holster for it, and made a custom steel guide rod that allows the use of 1911 recoil springs. I "machined" it out of a grade 8.8 bolt by chucking it up in my drill and using files, a dremel and sand paper. Actually came out really well! I'll post pictures soon.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you ever figure out the light primer strikes? I had a couple also today trying to figure them out

Not certain, I went back to the range and was comparing a few guns, this one included and sent another 40-50 rds down range, all went off first strike. The gun is surprisingly quick. Recoil is obviously a little snappy because the gun is pretty light but I feel like the sights come back on target really fast.

I took mine completly apart the other night cleaned everything down to springs and pins. Polished the firing pin a little put it back together went to the range yesterday. 500 rounds no issues at all. No light strikes, FTF,FTE or anything

Went boom everytime. Cycled flawlessly. Great gun for the price and looks

• 2 weeks later...

I just took mine out to the range for the first. Had one FTE, and that was on the last round. Had one weak primer that failed to fire. I was using mostly Perfecta by Tulammo from Walmart FMJ. Shot 100 rounds of that. About 30 rounds of TMJ from Washougal River Cartridge company out of Washington State. All 115 GR. The two issues I had where the slide not fully going into battery when the slide released and sometimes when I inserted the mag, the slide when go into battery without releasing the slide stop. Other than those two things, the gun performed flawlessly. Point of aim was dead on. The trigger and reset were good. Overall I am very impressed. Gonna give the gun and mag a good cleaning. Great gun for $244 bucks.

I owe you guys this target to show the accuracy mine was giving me. This was 10 shots at 21 ft rested on my range bag. I was aiming center of the target. Load was my hand loaded 124gr coated bullets with 4.0 gr WST.

post-33893-0-19062100-1431367349_thumb.j

One thing I tested was the base pads from the SP01 magazines. They are very similar and fit these magazines, but they just aren't quite long enough... Could be serviceable if it is all you can get your hands on or afford though.

post-33893-0-60334700-1431368620_thumb.jpost-33893-0-20393500-1431368627_thumb.j

Then I did a little stippling. Think I am going to continue on the sides just haven't had the time yet. The part I did on the front and lower back strap is designed to imitate my 2011 and Tanfoglio Elite style grips. Its substantially more grippy than the factory texture!

post-33893-0-33010600-1431368748_thumb.jpost-33893-0-71426000-1431368754_thumb.j

Then I made my custom guide rod out of a bolt from the hardware store. I am really happy with how it turned out! It also allows me to use 1911/2011 springs. It added a little weight to the gun too which helps a bit.

post-33893-0-32697000-1431368851_thumb.jpost-33893-0-87102000-1431368856_thumb.jpost-33893-0-52769400-1431368868_thumb.jpost-33893-0-25520200-1431368874_thumb.j

Most recently I tried making a kydex holster for it, because that is the one thing that DOESN'T EXIST ON THE MARKET YET.... It was my first time working with kydex, it was challenging but I learned a lot. Took a lot of pointers from the Bladetech holsters I have. It ended up ok, but the way I tried to make it dropped and offset, just ended up making it floppy...

post-33893-0-85097400-1431369050_thumb.jpost-33893-0-24873200-1431369057_thumb.jpost-33893-0-96824000-1431369063_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

Well after all this time it is seeming less and less likely that this gun is ever going toake it onto the production gun list, but hey it was cheap and has been a fun project gun!

I did jus go and stipple a little more of the grip. It feels pretty darn good now. I chose the locations to stipple based on my other 2011 and tanfo competition guns. I'll try to get pics posted tonight.

Could you cut the bottom front of the frame back to match the base pad ?? Looks like if the front were straight it would match up pretty well.

Possibly, I ended up picking up a 4 pack of mags directly from Diamondback for a hundred bucks so that was a simpler solution then going and modifying the frame...

Well after all this time it is seeming less and less likely that this gun is ever going toake it onto the production gun list, but hey it was cheap and has been a fun project gun!

I did jus go and stipple a little more of the grip. It feels pretty darn good now. I chose the locations to stipple based on my other 2011 and tanfo competition guns. I'll try to get pics posted tonight.

Its on the IPSC list, not sure why it hasn't made the USPSA list?...

• 1 month later...

Honestly, no... Since it never became USPSA production legal, I havn't invested too much more time into it. From the pictures above you can see I did a little more stippling on the grip, but that's about it.

The holster I made for it also is a little on the floppy side, so until I can find something a little more ridged, from and actual manufacturer, or make it myself, I probably won't compete much with it. From what I hear you can use M&P holsters for it, but based on the difference in trigger guard shape, I have trouble understanding how that can be...

If anyone out there has one of these DB9FS guns and an M&P holster, try it out and let us know!

I still love the feel of the gun, but haven't had a lot of time to put rounds down the barrel. Not to mention I just recently became a DAD, so I expect to have nearly no free time for... the next 18 years...jkjk...but seriously.

• 3 weeks later...

I grabbed one if these the other day along with an uncle mikes holster for a full frame glock, the gun fits prefect in it.20151204_143047_zpseq6lpt8b.jpg

I love the feel if the gun, hoping it shoots well enough to get me started in idpa and some local 3 gun stuff next year,but we will see how it does at the range hopefully today or tomorrow

Edited by Cody_2130

Which holster model exactly is that? Model number? I could have sworn I tried holsters for the glock 17 sized frames and their .45 counterparts and none of them fit properly (enough). As I recall the main issue was the rail, so it could be possible certain brands of holsters leave more or less room for the rail...