Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pump Gun?

pisgahrifle

In HM division (Heavy Metal or He Man), you will be right in step, but in any of the other divisions (Limited, Tactical and Open), you will be at a bit of a disadvantage, especially when there is a lot of stand and shoot as fast as you can stuff.

--

Regards,

If the goal is to take home metals, then the 590 is at a disadvantage. If the goal is to try the sport and get better at it, and have fun doing it, then go for it.

Regardless, try it and see. Like me, you will probably shoot the 590 a while then switch to a semi-auto.

There is something to be said for being good with the pump and beating some semi-auto shooters. ;)

Lee

As a pump gunner, I am content with myself if I beat half the auto-loader guys.

If there is movement and space between targets, the disadvantages are a lot less and sometimes nonexistent.

I think select loading on a pump gun is a lot easier than on an auto...especially if you slug up and miss, you can just put another slug in the tube before you cycle the action where as with an auto it would have already chambered a round of shot.

A buddy and I frequently torture ourselves by shooting our 590's in 3-gun matches.

I have the heavy bbl A1 model with Surefire tac-light foregrip and he has the standard, heatshielded model.

We don't really feel disadvantaged until there's poppers at 15+yds. The cylinder choke just spreads out too much to be effective. Frequently 2-3 shots are needed to knock down just 1 steel at that range.

It's fun having to "work harder" than the semi-auto guys, but someone who has equal skill and a properly set up semi-auto will kick your butt.

We don't really feel disadvantaged until there's poppers at 15+yds.

Tactical 00 buck shot. Even out to 25+ yards, puts them poppers DOWN :lol:

For those ranges sensitive to having 00B (even reduced loads) shot at their poppers, there is always tactical #4 buck and various birdshot loads which are more in the 3 3/4 dram eq. range which will do the job. I alway carry a box of such just in case, even with me shooting an 1100 CM now.

Lee