Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX Extreme Mags

orangeman711

Glad to be of assistance, Al. Guess I've just been lucky so far with the TTI basepads and old style SV tubes - 6 for 6 have worked with no stoning or filing on the tab.

FYI - I forgot one thing. The MBX follower is a noticeably thinner and flatter design than the Grams follower (lacks that little curved half moon on top of the Grams), but it is also noticeably wider. The length appears to be about the same. The MBX follower has a textured/rough finish top as opposed to the Grams which is smooth material.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

had my first fail on the 140mm 40sw mag shot a local match and had 2 nosedives.. used it for the first time, the spring on the mag was so soft .. ill shoot it for practice first before i shoot it at a match again.

had my first fail on the 140mm 40sw mag shot a local match and had 2 nosedives.. used it for the first time, the spring on the mag was so soft .. ill shoot it for practice first before i shoot it at a match again.

Its just the shooting gods' punishment for not shooting Open. Nothing to worry about bro'. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered 4 of these for my 9major open gun. I shoot them through 7 stages at Old Fort Shootout this past Saturday..lots of mud, rain and water. My buddy then shot my gun with them on Sunday, so together, we put roughly 500 rounds through them over the two day period. They performed flawless thru both days. They are a great product, at a great price! Thanks Adrian!

I have this issue as well. I found the bottom of the barrel was hitting the front of the mag, creating a ding. The bullets are getting caught on that ding. I talk to Adrian and he said that it seems to be an issue with kkm barrels being a little longer. Adrian is replacing my mags. Another person I was shooting with had the same issue and is running the same barrel, but he took a little off the bottom of his fead ramp to correct it. I'm not brave enough to do that.

I used my 40 for the first time today in practice and had the same problem several times. I too have a kkm barrel and it's good to hear someone else has already discovered to reason for it. The 9mm magazine worked perfectly.

I got some of these MBX mags in .40 and 9mm. The 9mm mag is a 170mm big stick and I gave it to my buddy to test out in his Open gun. He could get 30 rounds in it easily and it loads in the gun without any issues. He has used it at least 15 times now from fully loaded with zero issues shooting 9mm major rounds in Open.

I have been using the .40 mag in Limited on my 2011 with a Phoenix Trinity Grip. I can easily load 21 rounds in the magazine and it loads in the gun just as easily as my STI 20 round magazines. Every time I have used the mag I crammed 21 rounds in it and it has functioned flawlessly. I have probably used the mag 20 times by now and the spring is still feeling pretty good even when cramming 21 rounds in it every time. I have a KKM barrel in my gun and noticed that the front edge of the magazine tube was getting dinged by the bottom portion of the barrel feed ramp, so I whipped out the dremel and removed just enough material on the front edge of the mag tube to clear the barrel feed ramp.

I double checked both mags in the EGW Mag gauge and they both easily fit with a little extra room. I give these mags two solid thumbs up for being fully functional, high capacity and legal right out of the bag. I will be ordering some more to add to the range bag.

Edited by CHA-LEE

As for the guys having Nose Dive feeding issues, its time to start looking into your reloading practices or feeding tuning of the gun. Out of spec or poorly reloaded ammo, or poor feeding tuned guns are going to jam regardless of what mag you use. There are no "Magical" magazines out there that are going to function 100% of the time if you are feeding it crappy ammo or have a poorly tuned gun.

Charlie, there are more of these than you probably have read or know of. Most of the ones are from people who have shot thousands of rounds and no issues. Throw in new mags and all of a sudden, issues. Not saying it's the mags but since that's the only factor that changed in the equation, that's what to look at first, right?

BTW, I love my MBX mags!

If people have "Tuned" their mags to function properly with their crappy ammo or improperly feeding tuned gun, then sure they are going to have feeding issues when switching magazines.

I can't speak for everyone, but the majority of the shooters I have seen facing feeding issues are producing bad quality reloaded ammo. Their reloading practices are total crap and they don't case gauge anything. Crap in = Crap out. Then a smaller subset of shooters have mechanical feeding performance issues due to a poorly tuned gun or their ammo isn't mechanically tuned to function properly in their gun. In both cases the common theme is that the shooters are not paying attention to the fine details of tuning their gun or ammo to function properly or they have horrible quality control on the ammo they are reloading.

There isn't much that can be done for these shooters. Reliable high performance competition guns require attention to detail and quality control. If you are not willing to or capable of maintaining a certain level of attention to detail or producing good quality ammo then you probably shouldn't be shooting those kinds of competition guns. There are plenty of off the shelf production guns that will function with really crappy ammo.

I am sure that many Gunsmiths have been thrown under the bus by lazy shooters trying to feed crappy ammo through high end competition guns and they don't work reliably. Why someone would pay $3,000 - $5,000 for a Limited or Open competition gun then proceed to feed it crappy ammo is beyond my comprehension, but it happens all the time.

I can't speak for everyone, but the majority of the shooters I have seen facing feeding issues are producing bad quality reloaded ammo. Their reloading practices are total crap and they don't case gauge anything. Crap in = Crap out.

Can you explain what total crap reloading practices are? I want to make sure when my 2011 is finally finished I am doing it the right way. I have my 650 all set up and 99.5% of the ammo out goes thru my case gauge's without problem and runs like a scalded dog in both my M&P 40 limited and CZ sp-01's without fault but I have heard that 2011's can be picky.

would you please expound on this for me so I am doing it right please.

I can't speak for everyone, but the majority of the shooters I have seen facing feeding issues are producing bad quality reloaded ammo. Their reloading practices are total crap and they don't case gauge anything. Crap in = Crap out.

Can you explain what total crap reloading practices are? I want to make sure when my 2011 is finally finished I am doing it the right way. I have my 650 all set up and 99.5% of the ammo out goes thru my case gauge's without problem and runs like a scalded dog in both my M&P 40 limited and CZ sp-01's without fault but I have heard that 2011's can be picky.

would you please expound on this for me so I am doing it right please.

I am not going to list all of the ways you can screw up in reloading ammo as the list is long. A universal method for validating that your ammo is mechanically correct from a dimension perspective is to case gauge every single round after you load it. If it fits into a case gauge without any resistance, then it should mechanically be setup properly. But even that can be screwed up if you are using the wrong dies, crimp, or whatever else.

If your ammo is case gauging properly that is only half the battle. The other half is ensuring that the OAL, Crimp, and Bullet Profile are setup to mechanically feed properly in your custom 2011. Every 2011 is built to unique specifications and every gunsmith has their proffered way of setting them up. So there is not a "One size/method fits all" recommendation that I can give you. I would suggest you contact your gunsmith and get their recommendation on what ammo setup will function reliably in the gun they are building for you.

Edited by CHA-LEE