Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 TCM

Nealio

So I've been wanting a 22 TCM since Armscor started making guns chambed in that round. But of course the odds of a Tanfoglio 22 TCM barrel are very slim.

So I thought what if you got a 22 TCM 1911 barrel, took the OD down a ways on a lathe, bored out a .45 Tanfoglio barrel, and pressed the 22 TCM in there. It would be like sleeving a barrel.

Random thought of the day

I'd prefer to bore out one of the narrow frame .41 AE barrels from CDNN Cheaper Than Dirt. Armscor has announced a Glock 22 conversion kit at the shot show. They also sell Tanfoglio pistols. So, we can wait for them to do the right thing or take matters into our own hands :-)

Edited by USAFA82

So I've been wanting a 22 TCM since Armscor started making guns chambed in that round. But of course the odds of a Tanfoglio 22 TCM barrel are very slim.

So I thought what if you got a 22 TCM 1911 barrel, took the OD down a ways on a lathe, bored out a .45 Tanfoglio barrel, and pressed the 22 TCM in there. It would be like sleeving a barrel.

Good idea in theory, but the .45 slide would need worked.. the wrong ejector, and wrong springs, and wrong chamber... I have 2 of the RI 22TCM's. They are based off of the RI 9mm 1911's... I have an idea I am working up to get a .22TCM barrel onto the witness... itsa little more indeapth than your original idea. but once done, it would be a drop in barrel for a 9mm slide.

Good idea in theory, but the .45 slide would need worked.. the wrong ejector, and wrong springs, and wrong chamber... I have 2 of the RI 22TCM's. They are based off of the RI 9mm 1911's... I have an idea I am working up to get a .22TCM barrel onto the witness... itsa little more indeapth than your original idea. but once done, it would be a drop in barrel for a 9mm slide.

I don't think you read what I wrote.

Yes, you would need a compatible slide, but I think Nealio didn't mention a .45 slide, only a .45 barrel to allow more room for the .22 TCM insert.

Yes, I never mentioned a .45 slide. Its obvious you need a 9mm breach face. :)
The .45 barrel is so I could eliminate some of the machining needed to bore out room for this "sleeve".
Edited by Nealio

I don't think you read what I wrote.

Yes, you would need a compatible slide, but I think Nealio didn't mention a .45 slide, only a .45 barrel to allow more room for the .22 TCM insert.

Yes, I never mentioned a .45 slide. Its obvious you need a 9mm breach face. :)
The .45 barrel is so I could eliminate some of the machining needed to bore out room for this "sleeve".

Iyoure right i miss read it.. but there is going to be a lot of work besides boring out a .45 barrel to sleeve it.. then the breach is going to have to be plug welded and rebored for the chamber. I think it would just be easier to mill out the whole barrel... but thats just me..

The 22 tcm is a great cartrage! You may be able to ask Fred Craig if he would build a tanfo? I know he built several sti based before armscor picked up the round. The only issue is armscor (last time I looked) doesn't/didn't sell tcm barrels only. I had a hi cap 9/22tcm I put a 38 super barrel in and had a 3 caliber gun :-) I loved it till I sold it for my lim pro.

You may also have to severely lighten the slide. The glock kits I've seen did this. The glocks had diff ammo they drilled a bit shorter. I would bet if they did one with a glock 20 as a base it wouldn't need this. For tanfo I would just run 38 super mags. The one I had used a 5lb spring as an fyi.

Armscor says they are developing conversion kits for 1911s and other firearms. Glock is the first out the gate. They are licensed to build a version of the narrow frame Tanfoglio called the MAP/MAPP. So, I expect to see Tanfoglio barrels chambered in 22 TCM eventually :-)

I hadn't heard of this cartridge yet, but have been interested in using 5.56 brass for 9x23mm winchester loads for a long time, and really like the idea of also having a smaller caliber cartridge I can make brass out of 5.56 for and use in a Tanfo. The fact that it out-performs 5.7 really seems like icing on the cake. Shoot, just the idea of being able to make 300 blk out, 9x23, 22tcm and 5.56 from the same cheap, shot-once brass makes me a little giddy

I hadn't heard of this cartridge yet, but have been interested in using 5.56 brass for 9x23mm winchester loads for a long time, and really like the idea of also having a smaller caliber cartridge I can make brass out of 5.56 for and use in a Tanfo. The fact that it out-performs 5.7 really seems like icing on the cake. Shoot, just the idea of being able to make 300 blk out, 9x23, 22tcm and 5.56 from the same cheap, shot-once brass makes me a little giddy

You can also make 7.62x25 Tokarev out of 5.56 brass.

I was thinking about the barrel sleeves today and had a brain storm. As long as we are turning down barrel blanks and rechambering them for exotic rounds, why not cut them a little bit longer and add a threaded extension for compensators or suppressors?

So, if the sleeve is stepped at the chamber, the threaded extension would lock the sleeve in place.

You can also make 7.62x25 Tokarev out of 5.56 brass.

Good to know. Anyone ever try seating a spitzer bullet instead of a round nose in those?

J.D. Jones did, he called it 7.63 Mini-Whisper. It was made for suppressed use in single shots with a 200gr bullet. JDJ has a huge family of cartridges that are basically existing cartridges slightly modified to run heavy bullets at subsonic velocities, (ever hear of 300 Whisper? aka 300 Blackout, story for another time perhaps...) If you ever want to be entertained, study his work and google things like the 950JDJ. I should mention the Mini-Whisper is technically based of the 30 Mauser case, that's neither here nor there though.

• 2 months later...

I have a tcm. The models that were shipped tcm only. Rock island had stopped manufacturing the tcm /9mm combo for a while. The tcm case is actually a shortened .223. It's rim base is .374. The smaller 9mm round in the .374 breech face gave reliability issues in some of the pistols.

I think, and think is big word for me. I think I would hunt a .38 slide, or have a 9mm slide breech face opened up to the correct diameter.

Next I would look into ann eaa .22 barrel and have it chamber for the tcm. Providing you can find the correct reamer

I have a 38 slide and a 22 tanfo barrel as well as a 22tcm 1911 barrel. I'm not seeing a good way of making the 22lr tanfo barrel work and I'm not sure I'd trust it to deal with the pressures of 22tcm, anyway.

Working on putting together a Commander Caspian double-stack in 22tcm for now, planning no modifying its frame and the 38 super tanfo mags to work so I can use them in both guns. Any advice, guys?

I have a tcm. The models that were shipped tcm only. Rock island had stopped manufacturing the tcm /9mm combo for a while. The tcm case is actually a shortened .223. It's rim base is .374. The smaller 9mm round in the .374 breech face gave reliability issues in some of the pistols.

I think, and think is big word for me. I think I would hunt a .38 slide, or have a 9mm slide breech face opened up to the correct diameter.

Next I would look into ann eaa .22 barrel and have it chamber for the tcm. Providing you can find the correct reamer

Eaa .22 barrels are fixed and thus are missing the lugs to lock into the slide. They also have the 22 TCM 9R which is based on a true 9mm Luger case

Actually the 22tcm 9r is the same brass as the the 22tcm, loaded with a shorter bullet to meet the same OAL as 9mm. From my measurements, you would not be able to make 22tcm brass even from 9x23 brass, as it would be too short, so it would basically require the 5.56 brass.

Actually the 22tcm 9r is the same brass as the the 22tcm, loaded with a shorter bullet to meet the same OAL as 9mm. From my measurements, you would not be able to make 22tcm brass even from 9x23 brass, as it would be too short, so it would basically require the 5.56 brass.

Oh I mis-interpreted what I had read, my bad.

No biggee. I'm guessing other than being a shorter bullet it may be setback further to, as the case capacity seems to be affected, ie they are showing the 35gr bullets in the 9r to be lower velocity than the 40gr in the regular 22tcm.

Oh I mis-interpreted what I had read, my bad.

I think you have your information wrong... one of my best friends is an RI Dealer... he is still ordering and receiving brand new 2015 RI .22 TCM/9mm 1911 Tacticals and MicroMag Target models weekly. he can't keep them in stock here.

Bud's Gun Shop

Edited by slimpartywagon