Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sorting through head stamps in 40

b1gcountry

Well I would still do the same thing. I do it this way because I never worry about my ammo going bang or the chornograph. And to do 1K it only takes me about 3hrs or less.

did you ever have any mixed brass ammo not go bang or chrono? Load to 170 PF and forget about it.. Just seems like you are worrying too much about nothing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I would still do the same thing. I do it this way because I never worry about my ammo going bang or the chornograph. And to do 1K it only takes me about 3hrs or less.

did you ever have any mixed brass ammo not go bang or chrono? Load to 170 PF and forget about it.. Just seems like you are worrying too much about nothing.

I never have had a problem never will LOL

If that gives you confidence in your ammo, and you are willing to do it, then our opinions really don't matter.

I am curious about how many of the cases you wind up trimming? I have always assumed the cases would not have stretched much.

I trim them all to a uniform length. You are correct they don't stretch much if any but they are numerous length variations that are sometimes surprising.

I'm pretty new to reloading but for my 9mm I only load WIN, R-P, FC, and Blazer. I also dont load anything marked +P. I know it probably doesn't make a difference but it gives me trade fodder.

Isn't some Blazer made with aluminum cases?
I am sure he is tossing the alumin-eeum

• 2 months later...

I am new to reloading, less than 1000 rounds so far.

I was having trouble with the primers. About 4 or 5 rounds in a hundred I would get one that would not seat fully. Sometimes just over half the needed depth. The primer would jam up my press, (Hornady AP progressive) because the primer was sticking out and catching on the base plate. I could sometimes rotate the press back to the priming position and press harder on the handle and get the primer to seat. Sometimes this took several tries and sometimes it took considerable force.

There were some that I could not get seated with out really "Leaning" on the handle. These I set aside.

In researching the problem, thinking it might be a primer issue (Winchester small pistol) someone mentioned some brass being tighter than others. The brass I am using is mostly once fired from my gun (Glock 27). There is some range brass mixed in.

I decided to check the head stamp on the eight rounds I had that I could not get the primer seated into. Of the eight rounds seven were Herters (Cabela's) and one was CBC. I'm not sure who or what CBC even is.

My solution now it to sort the brass after cleaning. Then I'll set the Herters and CBC aside and load it later. I am going to remove all the dies and powder measure from the press and except the seating/decapping die. After I decap the brass I'll use a primer pocket reamer and then try seating the primers.

I haven't tried this yet because I need to pick up the primer pocket reamer this week.

So for now you can put me in the sort brass category.

Edited by tedbeau

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I sort Brass by make: Winchester, Federal , PMC etc.

I reload for: 40 OPEN (1290fps PMC) , 40 Limited (950fps Winchester) & 40 IDPA (135pf - Federal & FC).
My IDPA gun mags can only feed factory length.

This way I know just by looking at the headstamp which load it is. (yes I do mark the boxes too),

but loose rounds in the bottom of the Range Bag are easily identified.

I sort Brass by make: Winchester, Federal , PMC etc.

I reload for: 40 OPEN (1290fps PMC) , 40 Limited (950fps Winchester) & 40 IDPA (135pf - Federal & FC).

My IDPA gun mags can only feed factory length.

This way I know just by looking at the headstamp which load it is. (yes I do mark the boxes too),

but loose rounds in the bottom of the Range Bag are easily identified.

That's a great method that one day, when the laziness subsides, I would like to try.

On a side note, I'd love to hear about that 40 open load formula.

• 1 year later...

I am going to bring this one from the dead as I am getting tired of stupid  CBC and S&B 40 brass and I dont feel like starting new thread on this.

I am going through 6k  5gallon Homer bucket of 40 brass and they make press run very hard on sizing (I lube cases too) and it translates into OAL variation on bullet sitting station.

I ignored it first, but I think I will start from scratch and SORT the damn CBC and S&B out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering how/where you all get your used brass from.  Do you just go to ranges and ask them for their brass or when you are shooting there, do you ask the guy sweeping the floor if you can have the brass they are sweeping up?  Most times when I'm shooting at a range, the guy just sweeps it up and puts it in bucket or a pile and that is that.  This was before I was reloading.  Now that I'm starting on reloading, I'm wondering if the range keeps it or sells it or doesn't care what they do with the brass or what.  I have seen people get picky about them sweeping up and get even mad when they have swept up someone's brass because they wanted it for their own reloading.

I hear about some of the people in this thread getting brass from police ranges and stuff.  Do they just go to the range and ask to buy the brass or just request it and it is given to them or ?  I'd love to get as much brass as I can.  Heck, I'll be happy to sit there and sort through it if I have to (sorting caliber) just to have the brass to start out with.  For my first reloads, I ended up buying once fired and new brass, but I really don't want to do that all of the time.  Plus, I know I can reuse my own brass, but that is only going to happen X amount of times and then that brass has to be 'retired'.

I'm just curious as to how you guys get all the brass that you get to do your reloads.

On 4/30/2017 at 2:09 PM, Bkreutz said:

I buy mine from here http://www.sagesreloadingsupply.com/

He is local to me, but ships USPS flat rate and I believe the shipping cost is included in the price. (I've had brass shipped to me, and also had friends pick it up, local doesn't mean "convenient")

Thanks a bunch for the link.  Wow, pretty good deal from what I see. :)  I appreciate the info.