Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drawing from a holster for steel challenge

Jrb305

I'm going to start shooting in the local steel challenge matches this year. I just bought an STI Steelmaster and a Safariland 014 holster.

My question is: After you make ready, must the safety be on when holstering the pistol and flipped off when drawing?

I'm going to start shooting in the local steel challenge matches this year. I just bought an STI Steelmaster and a Safariland 014 holster.

My question is: After you make ready, must the safety be on when holstering the pistol and flipped off when drawing?

YES! And be careful to not blow your foot off by taking safety off too soon.

^^^^

What they said. Personally, I'd recommend that you don't disengage the safety until the gun is out of the holster and pointed at least 10 feet or so away from you. If you practice this it become second nature and doesn't slow you down...or at least not more than a DQ. Drilling the ground within 10 feet will get you sent home at the Steel Challenge.

A few months ago I was on the clipboard on classifier CM06-03 "Can you count." It is a ripping stage that is all about the speed. A shooter who was pushing his limits was in the box and at the beep he plowed a bullet in the dirt not two foot in front of the box. It happened fast and there was no way an RO could have stopped him. Of course he was DQ'd. After it happened we were talking and he basically admitted he was clicking the safety off as soon as he grabbed the gun in the holster. :surprise:

Also, with the 014 it shouldn't touch the trigger...but if it does you want that safety on! There is a vid out there in youtube land of a guy shooting himself in the leg on a draw. You don't want to experience that!

I just wanted to expand a little on what the others said as there is good reason why you want that safety on until the gun is pointed in a safe direction and nobody wants to see someone get hurt.

Thanks for the info. I figured as much. The safety on the gun is super smooth and in the little bit I practiced I didn't skip a beat. I'll see how it goes while actually trying to place the first shot on target.

Two more things Jrb,

1. Do not put your finger in the trigger guard untill your on target.

2. Gear up at home and do some dry firing.

Put on your holster, put a target on the wall, practice your draw and clicking the safety off at the right time. Start slow and dont hit the safety with your thumb by accident in the holster.

I'm not sure if you know already but you have to start with your hands above your shoulders.

Be safe and have fun.