Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone clip springs in 10rd mags?

darkvibe

Living in New Yorkistan I shoot L10 with 10rd mags In a G35. Even after a couple of years they are fairly tight on a closed slide reload, although better than when they were new. Anyone shorten springs? How much did you clip off And still have it feed reliably?

P.S. Living in NY sucks.

That crossed my mind. I was hoping someone might have tried it so I didn't ruin springs experimenting. I realize not many people use 10rd mags though.

I guess I will be the guinea pig. I clipped one coil off and it seems to help reloading a little. I think if I could clip 2 coils off it would make a real difference but I don’t think there is enough spring length to clip another coil off. I will see if it feeds with one coil clipped tonight.

I might also see if there is any part of the bottom of the follower I can trim/file to get a little more slack.

I didn't have time to shoot my modified mag very much. I ran one full mag through the gun that had one coil clipped and the bottom of the follower shaved off. I cut some material off the 2 legs that go inside of the spring and the back of the follower. I'll do some More testing before I say it works. Definitely loads easier. If it works I'll post pics in case someone else has this question in the future.