Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun free float rail for 3Gun; Evo, Keymod or MLOK

USASkeet shooter

I am trying to decide on a new forarm for my 3gun setup. I am currently using a Daniel Defense Ambush rifle that comes with a 12" MFR that I would like to sell and replace with something a bit longer and maybe more versitile for accesory mounting options without adding much more weight.

I have especially been looking at the Samson Mfg Evolution series 15" rails as is seems they are widely used in the 3gun community so they must be doing something right and they seem very comfortable.

I am looking for suggestions on wether I should go with the standard Evolution rail, or if the diversity of accessories offered for the Keymod or MLOK would be worth the added expense?

Also open to suggestions of other modular rails.
Thanks!

The list of choices is long. There are many good options out there, many opinions about which is best. A good place to start narrowing your search criteria is length, diameter and as you mentioned, whether or not a given type of mounting system is desirable.

For 3 gun rifles, most have nothing more than a sling mount on them, if that.

I would sit out the m-lock and keymod debate as of now. One of the two options will reign supreme but as of now it is too early to tell who. Fortunately in 3 gun you won't be hanging blenders and the like from your rails. Occasionally a sling and possibly a light. I would handle as many rails as you possibly can and purchase the one that feels best to you. Like thehotrodpig said the Midwest rails offer quite a bit of value especially if you desire slimness and lightweight. I have one and for the dough they're tough to beat....

I have a 12" Midwest Industries G2 and like it, really light weight and have tons of real estate, the only thing I have ever used it for though is a bipod and sling, but neither were for 3gun. Good value for the money and enough space to attach anything and everything.

I started with the Troy Alpha 13" rail on my gun. Nice and lightweight with a good tactile feel to it. I've since switched to the Samson Evolution 15" mostly because it fits over the Adams Arms XLP gas block (and I had a coupon code for a hefty discount @ AA.) I like the Samson; its light, has a good feel, and is plenty long.

As a side-note, Samson is located in my home-town of Keene, NH, so I feel it necessary to support them whenever possible especially given all the support they give to the game of 3-gun.

+1 on the nordic. For the price its probably impossible to beat. It is kinda heavy though, especially compared to my AP custom which is super duper awesome and ultra light however they are rather proud of them.

I've got the MI SS Gen 2 on one upper, its light and small diameter feels good in the hand. Downside is the small diameter makes it impossible to get certain gas blocks underneath. Another upper I have a Rainier Arms Force on. Its still very light and most any low pro gas block will fit. They now have a mod 2 that is even lighter. I had a Samson on an upper that I sold. Felt in the hand like the Rainier just a few ounces heavier. I wanted to shave off as much hand guard weight as I could to help balance the rifle better.

I've got the MI SS Gen 2 on one upper, its light and small diameter feels good in the hand. Downside is the small diameter makes it impossible to get certain gas blocks underneath. Another upper I have a Rainier Arms Force on. Its still very light and most any low pro gas block will fit. They now have a mod 2 that is even lighter. I had a Samson on an upper that I sold. Felt in the hand like the Rainier just a few ounces heavier. I wanted to shave off as much hand guard weight as I could to help balance the rifle better.

I emailed Midwest with my concerns about the hand guard ID and I received a email back with a diagram indicating that it's 1.7 from the bottom of the handguard to the top of the rail. The 1.3 which is stated on their site is a left to right measurement.

I emailed Midwest with my concerns about the hand guard ID and I received a email back with a diagram indicating that it's 1.7 from the bottom of the handguard to the top of the rail. The 1.3 which is stated on their site is a left to right measurement.

Not a lot of room to spare, and with the Carbon Arms gas block side to side you need a bit more. Its a great rail and can be had for much less than some others.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I am hear taking notes and expanding my options.
Now that I look at them, in addition to the samson, I do like the midwest -Lightweight M-lok, the Rainier Arms Force Mod 2, and the AP Customs Ultralight Tac. All of them seem to be very comparable and would be good options

I just bought a Daniel Defense V11 with the Slim Rail keymod hand guard. I really like. Its lightweight and very versatile. And the slimmer hand guard feels nice and points well.

Belive me, if the V11 was out when I bought my ambush, I would have certainly gotten that one instead! Basically I am switching out the exact things that they changed between the two (Longer hand guard, different trigger, rifle gas system. I just need to sell my parts first)

Another recommendation for the Ranier Arms Force. Lighter than Samson and NO movement, which was not the case with Samson. OEM barrel nut has only so much surface area.

@mpom, I didn't notice movement or flex in the Samson but I have not held or minipulated many of them. Does their thermal bushing or whatnot, that goes around the barrel nut, does that not extend the serface area enough?

Thanks again guys and keep 'em coming

Thank you everyone for your responses! I am hear taking notes and expanding my options.

Now that I look at them, in addition to the samson, I do like the midwest -Lightweight M-lok, the Rainier Arms Force Mod 2, and the AP Customs Ultralight Tac. All of them seem to be very comparable and would be good options

I just bought a Daniel Defense V11 with the Slim Rail keymod hand guard. I really like. Its lightweight and very versatile. And the slimmer hand guard feels nice and points well.

Belive me, if the V11 was out when I bought my ambush, I would have certainly gotten that one instead! Basically I am switching out the exact things that they changed between the two (Longer hand guard, different trigger, rifle gas system. I just need to sell my parts first)

Another recommendation for the Ranier Arms Force. Lighter than Samson and NO movement, which was not the case with Samson. OEM barrel nut has only so much surface area.

@mpom, I didn't notice movement or flex in the Samson but I have not held or minipulated many of them. Does their thermal bushing or whatnot, that goes around the barrel nut, does that not extend the serface area enough?

Thanks again guys and keep 'em coming

The movement I noticed is only an issue if you have iron sights. I have irons as backup as gun serves 2 purposes, home defense and 3G. Noticed the shift in alignment between red dot and front sight post when front of handguard was pushed side to side. Not there with RA Force, plus Force is lighter and cheaper! Samson is OK, RA Force is much better, in my opinion. My guess is its made by Seekins for RA, just a hunch.

I've been running the Samson evo on my rifles for several years. They are great. I haven't had a huge need to remove or add accessories. My sling swivel is always on. I guess a guy could add and remove rails for lights and lasers for the night matches and a bipod for open division. I get tired of switching rails and such so I just built different guns for every division/match. The one thing I really like is a top rail for my Dueck defense offset sights.