Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To popple or not to popple

jetdriver71

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have like 16 holes in my 38SC...I fill the case up with 3n38 scrap off the top and Jamb a bullet in it....its pretty awesome.

lol, my 38 super load for my gun with 12 holes and 2 chamber comp is not far off. let's put it this way. there's no chance of a double charge!!!! 10.4gn of 3N38 is not hard to miss when looking into the case. With a little higher load I would not need to bother with a powder measure. just fill up the case and away we go... :)

David Rey did a good write up on the subject. It was a Brazos gun as Brazos sponsored him, in short the holes improved his time on the timer. There isn't anyone that is more methodical than he. He was a GM at the time.

Personally I don't like the holes, too much concussion, however, on a Bedel set up I had to drill it and push the PF up to take the flip out of it.

Eric, Mr HELLO, and I both did a lot of comp testing a few years ago, I shoot a Dawson comp in 9 major with no holes, whatever Eric is shooting will definitely work.

I've had the opportunity to shoot a couple of the Akai guns, they are as close to cheating as you can get IMHO. When I win the lotto I will get 2.

SVI also makes a great gun, as does Brazos, Benny Hill, and for 9 major Sailors custom guns.

If the gun builder says drill then go with the holes.

Hello, new open shooter here,, currently shooting shorty 9mm Major. My question is, if shooting 9mm is there no need, or possibility for popple holes

because of case capacity?

Shorter barrel, more holes, lighter bullets, these are all factors which work against you making major.

A full length 38 with no holes has the most options with regards to bullets and powders which can make major, on the other hand a short 9mm with holes might only make major with a whole case full of Autocomp under a 124. Does that make sense?

I'd say a short barrel is a bigger hindrance than holes or the case (38/9).

Holes in a 9 mm, U could but take it one hole at a time. My logic is if the gun is comfortable to shoot its good to go. If it is too violent then work with the loads and recoil spring if that fails possibly a comp change and finally start drilling. For some configurations like a TruBore or Grandmaster, I immediately start drilling 2 #3 holes.

Full case try 10 grains of AA#7 in 9 mm.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that each has its merits but it really depends on what you as a shooter are looking for. Are you wanting a soft shooting gun? Or do you prefer a gun that is snappy? I think getting the feel correct is going to be way more important. You may have to go through a bunch of guns and powder/bullet combinations before you find what you are looking for. When you do find "The one", success is going to come much easier, and you will have a lot more fun which is what got you started in this sport in the first place.

• 2 months later...

Absolutely agree. And I have shot with him running his comp design and before I knew who made his comp I asked him who made it because his gun was soft, flat, and ran like a sewing machine... Was kind of cool when he said it was his design... So I can attest it works very well and looks great!

I love all this info, but HATE it when people get rude. :ph34r:

Really no need to do anything but ask questions, or reply

to questions with YOUR experience.

No reason to get personal or rude, IMHO.

Eric has been a member for the past eight years, and has

contributed some excellent ideas in that time - I personally

look forward to his contributions.

And, I've heard some excellent reviews about his comp. :bow:

Lot of personal opinions on this particular subject - no

reason to criticize someone else's opinion.

And, Eric has not become rude in response to rude

postings. :bow: :bow: :bow::cheers: :cheers:

I just picked up a new CK Arms gun in 9 Major, and it has 3 popple holes and a Cheely 4 port comp. I've been using 124gr MG with 7.2 gr of Autocomp in my old gun, (custom 6 port comp, no holes), and I didn't seem to lose any velocity. It still chronoed around 1390-1400 fps. Should be good for 172-173 FP, same as before.