Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To popple or not to popple

jetdriver71

See what happens when I don't keep up on the news? LOL I stand corrected. Thanks. I guess I could say he was doing pretty darn good without them but that isn't quite the same thing. Shay, Eddie and I are buddies. He tried popples and didn't like them. Went back to the Trubore with a modified comp. Between him getting picked up by STI and his new venture I'm not sure exactly what he will be running in 2015. Haven't talked since he got back from SHOT.

edited to add I should say that I added two small popples a year or so ago like the photo of Max's latest and I like how it feels. That said I haven't jumped up in the standings.

Edited by Neomet

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See what happens when I don't keep up on the news? LOL I stand corrected. Thanks. I guess I could say he was doing pretty darn good without them but that isn't quite the same thing. Shay, Eddie and I are buddies. He tried popples and didn't like them. Went back to the Trubore with a modified comp. Between him getting picked up by STI and his new venture I'm not sure exactly what he will be running in 2015. Haven't talked since he got back from SHOT.

edited to add I should say that I added two small popples a year or so ago like the photo of Max's latest and I like how it feels. That said I haven't jumped up in the standings.

Lol

Actually there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which gun Max uses at any given match. I actually think he throws the one with the trubore barrel in the mix still.

As for barrel holes, being fairly new to the open game, I've only shot my own which has no barrel holes. Based off what I've seen, however, is that it probably only matters if you're at the top levels of this sport and can feel or take advantage of little changes to the gun. The average guy is going to go out and finish somewhere behind the top guys anyhow. I would just leave it up to the builders recommendation at that point. EG does just fine with his V12 or V8 Tanfo.

Take Lesgar and Max for example, two different builders with two different philosophies on barrel holes, yet they are both always at the top of the results.

Edited by robb315

True. It just boils down to the basics. Grip, sight pic, trigger control, stance. No majic gun or bullet huh. However I do expect to place somewhere in the top 10 with my 5k plus gun right ?

Top 7 at least. Haha.

Exactly, pick a gun, pick a load and then go practice and learn it.

I think I'm going with Brandon's recommendations on the barrel holes (3). Now the hard part. Powder. If anyone knows where some is available that would be great. I have some 7625 left over but I thought I read Hodgdon discontinued that powder. It's no longer listed on many of the websites I've visited selling powder. Anyone had any experience, good that is, with longshot? Or VV105?

If you are getting a gun from Brandon, please listen to what Brandon recommends. I am sure him and his team have done very extensive testing with what powders work best for them. SV has some of the world's top shooters shooting their guns, just listen to them.

I think I'm going with Brandon's recommendations on the barrel holes (3). Now the hard part. Powder. If anyone knows where some is available that would be great. I have some 7625 left over but I thought I read Hodgdon discontinued that powder. It's no longer listed on many of the websites I've visited selling powder. Anyone had any experience, good that is, with longshot? Or VV105?

It sounds like you're shooting 38 super right? I haven't done a ton of load development on Longshot, but it worked pretty well in my 38, not nearly as well in 9mm.

n105 is awesome, but bulky, if the holes are too big you probably wont make major with a 115, maybe 124, can't go wrong with 3N38.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Hello: Like I said if the comp is designed correctly you don't need barrel holes. Kinda like this one. Thanks, Eric

Can you articulate how this comp is correctly designed (port sizes, sequence, shapes) or differs from comps that are not properly designed? We need details to understand what's right and wrong with some comp designs. Thank you.

Hello: Mine has a "V" shaped port to divide the charge into 2 vectors. The ports are also angled forward to push the gun forward and down, it also reduces impact on the hands. You are starting to see more comps now with angled ports because they work well. Even STI is doing it. Powder, slide weight, barrel weight, recoil spring choice, mainspring choice and angle of firing pin stop also come into play. Get it all correct and the gun will shoot flat, soft and be back on target quickly. Thanks, Eric

Jack, I'm not exactly sure what you were trying to say there, but I edited my response for clarity: Longshot did not work well for me in my 9mm because it hit the point of diminishing returns right at 164PF in a 5.1" barrel with no holes.

Each powder reacts a little different (and not necessarily in relation to their relative burn rate) when pushed past it's limits of compression ratio; long shot 'gave up' much earlier than others in a similar range.

Here are my thoughts on "popple holes": they give some added down force, but at the expense of velocity, so you need more powder to get the same velocity, the general rule is more powder, more gas, flatter gun, but if you need to go to a faster powder to get enough in the case to make major, or you go to a 124gr bullet because 115s are just too violent, you're going backward, so in my mind, for every barrel length/twist combination, there is a perfect balance of holes where you can still use a whole case full of the slowest powder you can get your hands on with a 115gr bullet.

Now, given the popularity of fast(er) powders like Autocomp, CFE pistol and Silhouette, as well as 124gr bullets, I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with me. There is also a lot of personal preference involved in between the balance of flat and soft.

In the end, I've found my times are not greatly varied between my flattest gun and my flippiest gun, but are more influenced by the overall weight of the gun (trigger pull travel/weight also seems to have an impact) and above all else, the ability to get through an entire match without a single malfunction.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Neomet, except Max does run holes...

The only top level shooter I know that doesn't run any is Eddie Garcia. I Am curious if he will start running them now that he is on his own.

This. Or you can swim upstream.

Edited by Shadow

Hello: Mine has a "V" shaped port to divide the charge into 2 vectors. The ports are also ANGLED FORWARD to push the gun forward and down, it also reduces impact on the hands. You are starting to see more comps now with angled ports because they work well. Even STI is doing it. Powder, slide weight, barrel weight, recoil spring choice, mainspring choice and angle of firing pin stop also come into play. Get it all correct and the gun will shoot flat, soft and be back on target quickly. Thanks, Eric

Maybe you mean angled rearward to push the gun forward?

Hello: Mine has a "V" shaped port to divide the charge into 2 vectors. The ports are also ANGLED FORWARD to push the gun forward and down, it also reduces impact on the hands. You are starting to see more comps now with angled ports because they work well. Even STI is doing it. Powder, slide weight, barrel weight, recoil spring choice, mainspring choice and angle of firing pin stop also come into play. Get it all correct and the gun will shoot flat, soft and be back on target quickly. Thanks, Eric

Maybe you mean angled rearward to push the gun forward?

Yes I'm curious about this as well? A port angled forward will push the gun in the opposite direction, just as a port facing up pushes the gun down.

This is for a 38 super comp.

38 gives you more case capacity so you can afford to waste more powder out holes in the barrel although once charge weights get over 10gr, the gun can feel pretty violent.

In my favorite quote from Matt Cheely he said some short guns with holes are very flat, but so violent you can't see the dot lift, it just explodes, then reappears.

I've got a gun or two like that :)

In my favorite quote from Matt Cheely he said some short guns with holes are very flat, but so violent you can't see the dot lift, it just explodes, then reappears.

Hahahahaha... I absolutely love that! True, true, true.

I run a SC gun w/4 large poppies holes, 4 angled comp ports and 2 L&R end ports angled rearward. I have learned that you don't settle on just making major. It's an Open gun try everything, then you will know what your gun really likes. Cheers guys, great info here.