Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Process for cleaning brass for reloading

Mike41

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50/50 mix of walnut and corn cob is what I use. Works great.

I've heard of the 50/50 mix before. What does it accomplish?

Walnut cleans better for most however corn cob makes brass shine better so, for many, it's the best of both worlds. You have to try it to see if you like it better. I didn't see much difference just more dust so went back to just corn cob.

Edited by Dirty Rod

I have a winter brass week here at my house. when the weather is bad (for the south), I'll gather my brass that has been reloaded 3+ times during the year and wet tumble with SS media after I have de-primmed them. and then tumble with Nu Finish polish and mineral spirits for two hours.

When I reload I spray a little Dillon case lube and all is good. with about 10K rounds of .45/9MM this does take all week, but I'm good for another year.

Edited by Canine582

I use walnut first without polish. I only use the walnut for three cleanings and discard. Then I use corn cob with a 50/50 mix of NuFinish and mineral spirits added ( two caps ) and I use the corn cob for up to five cleanings. This has served me very well for years.

Edited by Canine582

I stainless tumble my brass and toss it in a food dehydrator for a while to dry out. Sort out the crimped/tight primer pockets and get rid of the trash brass (just like b1gcountry). Put all my loadable brass into a bucket where it sits until I am ready.

I have a jobber here in town that sells me (known him for a long time= at his cost) walnut and corn media for a very low price. I buy two large bags at a time 40# and can afford to change out frequently.

Beside the walnut breaks down more than I would like and puts a lot of the lead dust in the air (outside) as I'm separating it in the brass tumbler, even with dryer sheets.

Edited by Canine582

I always deprime before wet s/s pin cleaning... then I use my CED brass dryer to insure all my brass is dry & shiny clean inside & out and I do use One Shot to lube my cases.... my Dillon 650 stays clean, I think this process will enable my press to last longer before having to be rebuilt..

I fold a large bath towel so that I have four thicknesses of cloth. Lay towel out on loading bench and put brass 10-12 pieces at time on towel and roll them back and forth a couple times with the palm of my hand. I can clean a hundred pieces of brass, well enough to suit me, in 2-3 minutes. I repeat this process after sizing to get what little of the spray lube that is left.

This is brass that I have loaded, shot, and then picked up and is not very dirty.

I load and shoot the same 200 pieces of brass 5-7 times during the course of a month and leave it on the ground at the monthly match. Doesn't make sense to me to run my tumbler that much with that little brass in it.

I always deprime before wet s/s pin cleaning... then I use my CED brass dryer to insure all my brass is dry & shiny clean inside & out and I do use One Shot to lube my cases.... my Dillon 650 stays clean, I think this process will enable my press to last longer before having to be rebuilt..

What makes you think that?

It's still going to make the same number of cycles.

well, to answer your question.... have you ever just deprimed pistol brass ? I do it regularly... after depriming about 400 rounds notice how much crud will be under your press & all over .... i put a bath towel on the floor .. its covered with crud.. that crud is kept away from my 650.. my press is just as clean when i finish loading as it was when i started.....

I have a Dillon case feeder & Mr Bullet feeder.. i surmise by keeping all my equipment clean it will work a lot smoother and last longer..

Edited by cecil

Everyone has their own objective. No, I don't just deprime pistol brass. I use my press to make the most ammo in the shortest amount of time and that doesn't include depriming and then coming back to the press.

But, if your towel on the FLOOR is covered with crud, how is that crud going to end up on the press?

My process for pistol brass is as follows:

-Wet tumble with SS pins, Dawn, and Lemishine for 3-4 hrs

-Rinse then air dry for 24-48 hrs

-Load it up

I keep telling myself I will try lubing pistol brass but never think about it until after the fact.

If you pick up freshly fired brass what do you need to do before reloading?

Wash?

Tumble?

Wash and tumble?

Nothing - just reload if they are not muddy?

Mike

I've always used dry tumble, Decided to try WET WOW! what a deference. With dry would tumble a load for 4-5 hours, with wet same amount of brass 1 hour. I drain dump on cookie sheet (turn oven to 250 THEN turn off before you put brass/cookie sheet in oven) a little lemon shine & squirt dawn your good to go.. When I dry tumbled in the garage it seemed there was always dust all over cars. I've been saved.

Wash?

Tumble?

Wash and tumble?

Mike

I've always used dry tumble, Decided to try WET WOW! what a deference. With dry would tumble a load for 4-5 hours, with wet same amount of brass 1 hour. I drain dump on cookie sheet (turn oven to 250 THEN turn off before you put brass/cookie sheet in oven) a little lemon shine & squirt dawn your good to go.. When I dry tumbled in the garage it seemed there was always dust all over cars. I've been saved.

How long's it take to dry?

Wash?

Tumble?

Wash and tumble?

Mike

How long's it take to dry?

The reason I let the oven get to 250º and turn it off BEFORE I put brass in I just leave it there don't need to check it the oven cools down it's done 30 minutes (don't leave the oven on no need )

Step 1: Pick it up from the range.

Step 2: Sort by Caliber.

Step 3: Wet Tumble 40 minutes

Step 4: Universal Decap.

Step 5: Wet tumble 1hr

Step 6: 9mm & 40 SW I separate the Winchester and Starline HS. All other HS go into 9mm Bucket or 40 Bucket. 45 ACP Seperated by LP or SP

Step 7: Load I use Dillion Dies but still use One Shot to make it smother.

Recently changed my system after my lead level hit 21. Doc kind of freaked out a little.

About 5 months ago, I changed to a system where I wash the brass to get the dust off.

1. In the garage, I put brass in tumbler with dry media. (wearing mask)

2. Remove brass and wash in water.

3. Put brass in glorified food dehydrator sold as CED brass dryer.

4. Once dried, I move the brass into my reloading room, where it gets lubed before use.

It seems to be working. Lead level has fallen to 14 and my doctor isn't as freaked out.

I use to tumble using 50/50 corncob and walnut. I recently switched to washing. I bought a cement mixer, add 5 gallons of brass, 5 gallons of water, 1 cup of cascade dishwasher detergent and 1.5 hours later, rinse, dry and I'm done. The end result is just as good as tumbling if not better. The brass isn't as shinny as tumbling but darn close. I will say the brass inside the case is cleaner. Don't have to worry about media being left in the brass, etc. I will also say I WILL NOT go back to tumbling. The time savings is incredible. Cleaned 5 gallons of 223 brass, 5 gallons of 9mm and 5 gallons of 40 S&W in one day and had time to do other things. That's good for half a season if not more.