Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Process for cleaning brass for reloading

Mike41

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wash and tumble my brass with stainless steel media. But a standard vibratory tumbler is sufficient. I skip the lube and use carbide dies for all my pistol cartridges.

You should try the lube,it's like putting your Mach.on ball bearings..

I first run walnut with a teaspoon of mineral to clean the brass overnight, (the oil loads the media and it last alot longer), then again in corn with liquid car polish. I find no need to lube straight wall cases, 9mm, 40S&W, .45acp, but use a dry mold release on my .357 SIG cases.

Usually my process goes something like

1. Leave in brass bag in trunk or back seat for several months
  2. Tumble in corn cob media
  3. Hit the media separator. Try not to breathe.
  4. Put in ziploc bag, go watch Longmire for 2 hours
  5. Remember I was going to load ammo, set up press
  6. Look at can of lube. Think about how everyone says lubing pistol is nice, then think about how annoying rifle is. Save lube for rifle.
  7. Load ammo.

1.Wet/ Stainless Pin Tumble (1 TS of powdered lemishine, 1 TBS of dish soap)

2. Allow 48 hours to air-dry on towel

3. Lube clean cases with w/ homemade Isopropyl/ Lanolin case lube (about 4 squirts for 500 pieces in 1 gallon zip lock bag)

4. Load

5. Place finished rounds on towel and spray with 91% Iso Alcohol and rub for a few minutes to quickly clean lube off.

I also have Carbide dies but like everyone else has mentioned, do yourself and your press a favor and use case lube!

Do you deprime before cleaning?

What is a good tumbler to get?

Is there any difference in the type of case lube?

Mike

For dry media tumbling, no.

I use the giant Lyman one.

I prefer Hornady One-Shot for ease of application, and it's slick enough even for Lake City 7.62, but price is a downside.

Do you deprime before cleaning?

What is a good tumbler to get?

Is there any difference in the type of case lube?

Mike

1. No

2. The cheapest one that works.

3. Hornady one shot is less messy but I just skip lubing the cases since I use Dillon Carbide dies.

I also use carbide dies.

Tumble, then place brass in heavy duty gallon size zip lok bag.

I squirt about a 2 second burst of Hornady Oneshot into the bag and roll the bag to spread the lube.

I set bag aside for several minutes and then the pistol brass is ready to load.

+1

And if you wet tumble, be sure to get those cases dry...I know some guys that forgot that step. Wet powder = no pewpewpew.

1. Dry Tumble with corn media and Dillion Case Polish for 30min-60min using Frankfords Aresenal Tumbler.

2. Seperate using Dillion Small Media Seperator

3. When I am ready to load I spray Dillion case lube into a ziplock bag and tumble the brass inside. It is night and day difference to lube pistol brass.

I also wear a lead rated resperatory when tumbling the brass and do it outside.

I once thought about going super fancy with cleaning brass. Then I realized it just needs to be clean enough to reload and I need to spend my money, time and effort getting gooder :cheers:

Edited by brisix

dump range pickup brass in 5 gal bucket to store

tumble in crushed walnut media for 3 hrs when ready to load

spray cases with homemade case lube

dump into 650 case feeder & load

tumble loaded rounds in crushed walnut for 15 mins to remove lube

shoot & repeat

Some folks have quite involved and elaborate reloading processes but I'm convinced a lot of them are more into reloading then shooting .... :roflol:

Put it in a 5 gallon buck of water with lemon juice and liquid soap. Swish, swish, swish around....

Pour over a screen, rinse, let dry.

Then put it in a tumbler with crushed walnut from the pet store. Add some dryer sheets lightly smeared with turtle wax.

Seperate...

Spread on a cookie sheet flat, light spray with One Shot. Roll your hands over the brass to eavenly coat and your good to go.

I wash and tumble my brass with stainless steel media. But a standard vibratory tumbler is sufficient. I skip the lube and use carbide dies for all my pistol cartridges.

You should try the lube,it's like putting your Mach.on ball bearings..

My Rock Chucker doesn't have any issue with 9mm or 44 mag with carbide dies and no lube. If I had a progressive press I might use lube.

Usually my process goes something like

1. Leave in brass bag in trunk or back seat for several months
  2. Tumble in corn cob media
  3. Hit the media separator. Try not to breathe.
  4. Put in ziploc bag, go watch Longmire for 2 hours
  5. Remember I was going to load ammo, set up press
  6. Look at can of lube. Think about how everyone says lubing pistol is nice, then think about how annoying rifle is. Save lube for rifle.
  7. Load ammo.

So there are like 18 different opinions on how to clean your brass. I like this one the best, because it is the most realistic.

I just ran a reloading class and they were using a Rockchucker press with carbide dies for 9mm. It was as smooth as butter. No need for lube.

I run a Dillon XL650 with 9mm carbide dies and no need for lube either.

You will save a lot of money not using One-Shot lube, but all of all of the lubing products, One-Shot is the best, by far. Save that stuff for your rifle cartridges.

As for a vibratory case cleaner, I use the Dillon CV-2001. It is simply amazing. It runs so smooth and cleans a ton of brass at one time. I also use the Dillon CM-2000 case/media separator and it makes removing media an absolute breeze. Before these items, which are expensive, I have used several different case cleaners. These are the easiest. If cost is of concern, check out the smaller versions, the CV-750 and the CM-500.

I do the same as many above.

Pick up brass

Separate when i get home using the the colored plastic things over a5 gallon bucket

When I need more brass, I tumble all my brass by caliber in Dillon large tumbler with walnut lizard litter. I usually add some nu finish and dryer sheets cut down on dust.

Tumble 4 hours or so .

Separate media in rotary separator.

Remove dryer sheets.

Add an old towel to separator, and turn a few seconds to remove dust from the shells.

Put in large detergent bucket

Using an old 45 bullet tray, shake in bucket until filed with 9mm.

All cases are usually mouth up. Inspect mouths for cracks, and sort out 380, 38 super, and 9x21.

Turn over onto old primer box, and sort out brass I don't reload.

Aguila, Amerc, Ammoload, A USA, CBC, IMT, LY, and anything with a triangle goes into a junk bin.

Herters, S&B, WCC and other NATO brass goes into another bin. These have right or crimped primers.

Anything I don't recognize or don't have experience reloading goes into another bin. Once i get enough, I run 30+through my press and see how they load. I pull a couple bullets and see how tight the crimp is.

Everything else trends to be the big 4 plus others i find work well. They all resize without too much effort, and primer pockets are not to tight.

I resize wo lube. Any case or primer that feels tight, I pull and inspect. I can tell when i have blazer brass by how easily the primer seats.

The extra sorting step takes me 15 min to do 1k brass. I save that much time on the press though because all the brass is gtg. I haven't needed to with .40

I vibrate 2-5 hours in a 50/50 mix of walnut cage litter and Lyman green media, in a 15+ yr. old Midway vibrator, depending on how scuzzy the brass is and how loaded up the media has become. Surprisingly little dust. I'll add a used dryer sheet when the media is looking tired.

Eau de Ballistol for lube; once or twice a year I put a few squirts of Ballistol on an old shop rag. I grab handfuls of cleaned brass from the bucket with the rag and rub the cases into the loading bin.

The rag also helps remove residual media dust. It gets stored in the clean brass bucket when not in use.

I only use One Shot on bottle neck cases.

I think a lot of the choices are made by the amount of available time to the user.

This is an excellent point -- it's not super hard to figure out how to produce excellent results, but time and money are generally limiting factors (otherwise we'd all be wet stainless tumbling, and shooting jacketed bullets with VV powder).

dump range pickup brass in 5 gal bucket to store

tumble in crushed walnut media for 3 hrs when ready to load

spray cases with homemade case lube

dump into 650 case feeder & load

tumble loaded rounds in crushed walnut for 15 mins to remove lube

shoot & repeat

Some folks have quite involved and elaborate reloading processes but I'm convinced a lot of them are more into reloading then shooting .... :roflol:

I wonder how many folks use stainless steel media and sort their brass by headstamp ...