Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Precision Rifle Match

JFlowers

I am waitlisted into Woody's Match. One of the issues with the PRS and LR matches in general is that matches are so limited in the number of shooters they take its a hard fight to actually get into them.

I will be at Woody's regardless, if just to watch and learn.

I will be at Woody's regardless, if just to watch and learn.

That's a good thing to do regardless of shooting sport. It's really tough to know what something is all about until you actually see it and get a chance to talk with some people. It can also save you a ton of time and money if you determine it's not for you.

Edited by Graham Smith

I know exactly how you feel.

Its your first match and you don't know what to expect.

I remember being very concerned that I would embarrass myself.

Make up your mind to shoot your best game with whatever skills you possess and let the chips fall where they may.

Think of it like an NFL pre-season game. They are keeping score but it doesn't mean anything. It's just a tune up.

This will be a learning experience.

After the first one, you will have a much better idea of how to prepare and you can make list of do's and don'ts.

I sat down the next day and made notes about how I needed to change my equipment, my ammunition, tactics, etc.

We are all competitors by nature and want to do well, but set that aside this time and just soak it up.

Tls

Edited by 38superman

Totally agree with 38Superman. Sometimes I am too competitive and it can take the fun out of things. At my first DMM match, I didn't do that well, and was pretty pissed off about it. Realized that even though I didn't do as well as I had hoped, it was a lot of fun. It was very challenging. That's PC for "it was hard as crap" so I had no reason to be mad. Went back, worked on my gear and skills, went to the next match and came up about ten places. Kept working and again at the next match came up about ten more places. Over the winter, I decided to jump in hard, built a new rifle, and signed up for PRS matches. I still have to remember to have fun, cause that's what it's all about.

Okay, somebody clue me in. I've never been to Woody's but I know its one of the regional shoots for the PRS.

I also keep hearing references to Designated Marksman matches.

When are these held and are they set up for teams or individual shooters?

Tls

Based on the 2014 Schedule, Woodys holds 7 matches each year...

1 is a National PRS Match, that's March 7-8, 2015.

3 DMM Matches. That stands for Designated Marksmen Series, a local TEAM match. They are held May 9, July 25, Sept 26 this year.

3 were Individual Precision Rifle local matches, but they are not on the 2015 calendar (as of yet).

Plus, Palmetto 3 Gun has said it will be hosting some local/club level DMM and Individual Precision Rifle matches in the Carolinas this years.

Hey J, I may be up for a DMM match. The first one may be full already. Do you know if it is or not? For those who haven't shot Woodys, it's a natural terrain type farm, shooting over hayfields, using various props and what ever evil tricks they can think up. Makes for a fun day. DMM matches usually max out about 600 yds, but don't take that to mean that it's easy. It is a team match, both you and your partner shoot all the targets with a time limit. Individual matches go farther on a couple stages, but positions are tough, and will really let you know where your shooting skills are. Most of my longer range stuff was shot off a bench, didn't help me too much once I got bitch slapped on the first stage. I am a quick learner though!

If you are up for teaming up, drop me an email at jameslenwoodflowers@gmail.com. I can promise you that you will get to enjoy watching me get bitch slapped by a stage or three! Maybe we get get down to Pappy's 100 yard range one day and shoot together. I have been trying to sneak down there on Friday Mornings (I work M-Th) but so far its been cold, rainy, or serious winds.

I don't know if the May match is full yet or not. Without a partner, I had not signed up.

Are you going to shoot the match in Butner on the 21st?

Edited by JFlowers

James- I'm not shooting at Butner, but I'll be at Bang Steel in Va on the 28th. Heading down to South Carolina Official Training Ground in Lauren's SC in a couple weeks to dial in some long range dope. I have a very busy weekend, but I'll check on the first DMM match at Woodys and see if it's full and let you know.

LSnSc, keep us posted on the matches down that way. Always looking for new opportunities to embarrass myself!

Steve - I am spending the 16th on the range at Palmetto Gun Club (Charleston) working my rifle, then Butner on the 21st. Maybe sometime in March our schedules will mesh and we can get together and shoot some before the May DDM or any matches at Palmetto 3 Gun.

You can reach me direct at james.flowers at oracle.com or (704) 756-8139.

Palmetto 3 Gun is doing at least two team DM style matches and a precision match or two. We are finalizing our schedule now. We may do an individual DM style match as well.

Is there anymore information out yet about these Palmetto 3 G DM style and precision matches yet? Or a website with more info?

Steve, J Boyette posted on Carolina Shooters that there were still places open for the Butner Urban Sniper match if you are interested.

Hopefully between Woodys, Palmetto 3 Gun, Boyette's Urban Sniper Match and Frontline Defense's Action Sniper Match, NC will have a lot of Precision RIfle matches to shoot in 2015.

mwx40x40, have you shot the Cherokee Gun Club Tactical Rifle match?

Steve, J Boyette posted on Carolina Shooters that there were still places open for the Butner Urban Sniper match if you are interested.

Hopefully between Woodys, Palmetto 3 Gun, Boyette's Urban Sniper Match and Frontline Defense's Action Sniper Match, NC will have a lot of Precision RIfle matches to shoot in 2015.

mwx40x40, have you shot the Cherokee Gun Club Tactical Rifle match?

I have never shot one of these type matches , but may have an interest in them. Are they bolt gun friendly? Just sounds like something I might like to try.

James, I've got emails out to Woody and Dave to see if slots are available. If they are full, do you want to start looking at the next DMM match? Also, are you planning on shooting their regular individual matches? I need to just give you a call, but things are crazy busy at the house this week.