Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CNC G0704/BF20, LinuxCNC, Mesa Cards

kevinj308

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what my feed and speed software said too. It's pretty easy to stall out my spindle motor with that large of a tool though, just being super cautious until I get more time with it. Smelling the windings in my spindle motor as it stalls is kind of a bummer lol.

Yes - thread milling is awesome! Especially if you need to do a thread you don't have a tap or die for. Especially for blind holes. Especially for large sizes that you may not even be able to turn the tap without a 4 foot cheater bar. Especially for specials that there is no tap or die for. Especially for small holes you can't afford to break a tap off in. If you break a thread mill, you just dump it out and keep going. Especially...well you get the idea.

I took a .0036 pass to even up a slide that looked off a little and it left nothing but ripples that I blocked out with 320 and a piece of marble. then buffed, ran the cutter at 850ish and fed from right to left into the cutter rotating clockwise at a feed of around 15in per min

I took a .0036 pass to even up a slide that looked off a little and it left nothing but ripples that I blocked out with 320 and a piece of marble. then buffed, ran the cutter at 850ish and fed from right to left into the cutter rotating clockwise at a feed of around 15in per min

I'm really sorry to hear that Daniel! It's tough to say without being there, but maybe double the rpm? Or more if you've got it. Does it max out at 2300rpm?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did a little engraving with F360. Was pretty easy once I figured it out.

Insert a jpg of the image, use calibrate to fit the intended area, sketch the lines with tsplines, then trace under the 2d drop down in cam.

Rotated the image a little too to better fit the target area.

It wouldn't do the text with all the fonts on my pc for some reason. I googled that and its a known issue, but probably pretty low priority. So I had to use another cad program for the text.

post-13722-0-01717200-1434900126_thumb.j

In a busy shop I could see having a separate machine just for engraving. The speeds and feeds are so slow it could tie up a more productive spindle for a long time.

About 20min for the above, 2ipm @7k rpm. Then a clean up pass with the facing mill to take the burrs off.

The engraving tool did leave quite a burr, Not sure if that's normal or I need to adjust something. Maybe just a dull tool.

• 3 weeks later...

Anything you'd change on your CNC mods? Is there a straight plug and play?

The only thing I'd change is the Z stepper, I'd go to the next bigger one. Not a big deal, just wouldn't mind more z oomph.

Plug and play I don't know, there wasn't when I was building mine. There might be now.