Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buffer and spring help

tnorman

With my jp low mass bcg I had to remove weight from my buffer. Ended up replacing the weights with a chunk of fuel line. 3oz seemed to be a final good weight which I think just happens to be right around the same weight as jp's buffer. I just ordered taccoms adjustable ultra light buffer yesterday. I hear good things about it and it's cheap. No matter what I believe you will at min be playing with your buffer weight. There are several ways to get the job done though.

I haven't bought a low mass bcg yet but I'm looking at getting the voodoo when I do. I did replace 4 steel weights from my rifle buffer and drop the weight to 2.9 oz with some delrin rod. Cost about $2. It did let me use less gas. Recently switched it for the Taccom ULW buffer. Don't have many rounds through it yet but so far I like the results. For the price it is worth a look.

• 3 weeks later...

Buffer doesn't necessarily contribute to felt recoil as much as it speeds the cyclic rate up. It can be counter productive to where the recoil impulse is "sharp". The adjustable gas block will do far more to reduce what you feel in the shoulder. Tune it to just lock back on an empty mag with your load and then open the system like 1/4 turn more for insurance. Then you know you're dealing with just the cyclic weight. Now watch the reticle movement with multiple shots. Is it a slow bobbing of the reticle and brass coming out at the 5 o clock? If so a lighter buffer will speed things up and reduce the bobbing. If the brass is kicking out at the 2-3 o'clock position that typically means the bolt is cycling too fast which means all kinds of other issues.

Hope this helps...

• 4 months later...

Today went out with my new set-up for the first time. I feel like the ejection is 4:30-5:00 as the shell casings were getting dented.

Nordic 18" - Rifle Gas

SJC Titan Comp

JP Adjustable Gas - Adjusted to allow bolt to Lock

Whiskey Arms LBC AL Carrier

JP Enhanced Bolt

Stock Rifle Buffer Spring

Empty Rifle Buffer.

My next step in my head was to go with a Reduced power spring (TTi) and bring the gas down further to slow the carrier down and still allow for lock-up but I also though adding weights back into the buffer would maybe again slow down the carrier and bring the ejection further up. Am I thinking about this backwards?

It strips a full 40rnd P-Mag with TTi base (45), with authority, so i feel there is some room to go down on the spring.

3G-Rifle_zpsgloxhp4u.jpg

Thoughts?

-S.Bader

Edited by Bader3245

I have the Whiskey Arms LBC and run an empty rifle buffer that comes in just over 2oz. and a JP 25% reduced buffer spring. 18" intermediate gas barrel with the gas tuned and a Lancer compensator and the reticle doesn't move. I may need to go back and add a hair bit of weight to the buffer or step up to full power buffer spring to slow the cyclic rate. I love how the gun runs, but a few mags don't feed fast enough. My Pmag 40 and my Pmag and Lancer 30's run fine, but my GI 30's and my Pmag 20 don't always feed. My guess is that it is cycling too fast for them.

No useful thoughts for you but if your the S. Bader that just registered for the Winnequah match next Sunday I can bring a TTI spring for you to mess with if you like.

That is indeed me. Is this a spare spring, that you would part with if it worked?

No useful thoughts for you but if your the S. Bader that just registered for the Winnequah match next Sunday I can bring a TTI spring for you to mess with if you like.

That is indeed me. Is this a spare spring, that you would part with if it worked?

I certainly could be convinced to part with it. It'll cost you a few hugs though...

If your brass is dented with a low mass BC, your gun is over gassed and the extractor is loosing control of your brass with the higher cyclic rate. The dent occurs as the bolt returns & kicks the brass forward striking the ejection port and then flips it out of the gun. JP has a great Gas Gun video that explains this really well. The fix is to close the gas down till it doesn't lock the bolt back on last round and then start opening it up 1/4 turn at a time till it locks back. Give it another 1/4 turn open and it should be fine with most factory loads & stop denting the brass.

If it still dents the brass, you can fine tune it more with a lighter buffer and go through the gas adjustment again. Less gas with a LMBCG and lighter buffer, adjusted for the correct cyclic rate, should stop denting the brass and give you a smooth running gun with virtually no recoil impulse.

Hey Bader3245, I forgot all about messing with the spring yesterday. I had an abysmal match and was in such a bad mood I spaced it out completely. ..

HA, You and me both. I was actually running real well until an embarrassing mistake ended my day a little too soon.

I actually have a TTi Spring arriving tomorrow that I will take to the range on Friday. I appreciate you seeking me out and bringing it with you.

Rifle ran REALLY well though its first 4 rounds ever, should be interesting to see how much more gas I can pull out with the TTi spring.