Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New RL550 Owner: Do Shellplate/Bolt Need Lube??

I'm a first time reloader.:)

I bought a used RL550, it is probably 10-15+ years old...however, it is in exquisite condition and was VERY well cared for by its previous owner.

I lubed the MAINSHAFT and squirted some 3-in-One oil at the linkage joints. I did several dry reloading runs without primers/powder, to set up the dies and get a feel for the press' functioning.

A few things were sketcky: the LOW PRIMER WARNING BUZZER wasn't reliably going off (after you press down on the black actuation lever on top...even after a new battery and cleaning the battery contacts). The Spent Primer Catcher Chute (the little chute that flips up/down and directs the spent primers to the collection bin)...it sometimes gets stuck in the 'closed' position and will not drop back down again....the part has a very odd surface... it looks as if it is white powdercoated...perhaps it is corroded. One edge of it rubs against the Primer Slide when the shellplate platform is lowered. Finally, a little Shoulder Washer that fits over the powder measure rod and inserts in the return bracket was missing.

I called Dillon and new parts are on their way for free: Low Primer Warning Module, a complete Roller Bracket Assembly (includes spent primer catcher chute), Shoulder Washer. The customer service was superior and mirrors the testimony from the endless stream of very happy customers. Count me in that stream! :)

I do have a question about press lubrication. Do you lubricate the SHELLPLATE BOLT so that the INDEX SPROCKET and SHELLPLATE spin freely on it's lubed shaft? Is it necessary?

Also, do you in any way lubricate (graphite powder or other???) the SHELLPLATE PLATFORM which the brass cases slide across as they go from station to station...or will lubing this part just introduce potential contamination?

I love this little machine and am impressed by it's design and the quality of it's fabrication. :wub:

Thanks a bunch for any tips or advice you can offer a new owner.

Cheers,

Lovegasoline

I'm new to reloading and learned to use my new 550 on my own. First couple of batches were very problematic, especially with the primer slide. Took the advice from others on this forum and bought some Liquid Wrench lock lube. I have the aerosol version w/PTFE. Coated the whole primer slide and the shell plate. The stuff evaporates quickly and leaves a slick finish. Everything works much smoother. I loaded 500 rounds this weekend and didn't have any problems with the primer slide.

Lube your RL550B as follows:

Use 30 weight motor oil on the main shaft.

Use wheel bearing grease to grease all the pivot pins.

NEVER use any aerosols, especially WD-40 or Break-Free, as they strip the grease out of the pivot pins.

The easy way to tell which pins are dry is as follows:

Remove the set screw in the bottom of the shaft.

Push out the cross pin at the bottom of the shaft. This pin connects the shaft to the back of the crank.

Now, pivot the crank on the lower pivot pin. Next, pivot the link arms on the upper pins. Finally, push up on the bottom of the shaft with the palm of your hand.

This tells you which pins need lubing.

If the upper pins need lube, then contact Dillon for a punch and an alignment tool. :ph34r: