Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking into a new 9mm

chetc

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any experience comparing the FNS-9 5" and the PPQ M2 9mm 5"? I've been wanting to get another poly gun ever since I sold my M&P and I'm wanting to try something different, I narrowed it down to these two and would like some feedback before I make the plunge.

Thanks

Have you looked at the Grand Power series, It's polymer,

As for PPQ theya re pretty sweet in features, they are a little wide at the top and don't fit me quite right. I have not got to try an FNS yet, the HK VP9 is pretty cool too.

• 1 month later...

Well, I said screw it and found a cert someone was selling for a fns longslide and picked it up. So I'll be doing my own comparison since there is a Walther ppq m2 I have access to. I'll throw down a quick comparison when I get out to the range.

Well, I said screw it and found a cert someone was selling for a fns longslide and picked it up. So I'll be doing my own comparison since there is a Walther ppq m2 I have access to. I'll throw down a quick comparison when I get out to the range.

Comparison yet?

I have the PPQ 5" and love it. I saw their youtube discussion and I didn't get much from it except Matt Hopkins couldn't hold it and Candice didn't really appear to really know why she liked it. That model was also the shorter version.

The trigger is slightly unusual for a plastic gun with a long pull, very nice break and very short reset. It is somewhere between 3.5-4 pounds out of the box.

The slide has been lightened for the extra length, only in different places than the XDM and G34. I really like the look of it. I wouldn't have to worry about getting stuff stuck in the slide.

It had a problem with magazines dropping without pushing the magazine release because of a very light magazine release spring. I took one stronger spring out of a random spring pack and fixed that in 2 minutes. Not everyone was having that problem though...depended on the shape of your hands, I thought.

I changed the sights with Dawson's right away. The ones on the gun work, I just like the fiber better.

The problem Matt Hopkins had was fixed with a Talon grip for <$20 bucks and I love the feel of it. When your hands get sweaty, the funny little "stippled characters" on the grip don't help and it's hard to hold. The Talon grip is actually more comfortable and completely fixes that problem.

Other than that, it has just a little less (.1 inch) sight radius than the 5.25 XDM. An XDM holster can be used for it, but I now have a custom Kydex one. That Bladetech XDM holster would never pass the dowel check, even with my former XDM in it.

Of all the guns I looked at, this appeared to be the best compromise...didn't need a new trigger out of the box, had the long sight radius I was looking for and felt comfortable in the hands.

I discounted the FNS because the grip was too aggressive for these old hands, it needed trigger work, and there wasn't much aftermarket support for it. The price was right and it already came with three magazines though.

Edited by robport

• 2 months later...

Finally got a little trigger time on the two pistols side by side. Both 100% stock aside from sharpie on the sights to make them a little better to look at. The trigger difference is insane on these two pistols, it's actually a little bit baffling to think that one company some how figured out how to make a striker fired trigger actually worth a damn and no other company can manage it. The ppq is great, super comfortable and seems decently accurate although I didn't have the time to put several groups on paper but I did well enough to keep it in the head box of an ipsc target at 15yd. Not a fan of the sights situation, though sharpie helped, I like a wider front sight for how I shoot. And the one big issue I found is how tight the chamber is, there is actually a ring at the mouth of the ejected brass where there is a visible step in the chamber which, I believe caused a couple failure to extract issues with some weaker 115gr Ammo and a couple that didn't go into battery on my 135gr bayou hand loads. Which is a little bit disconcerting considering that the 135 bayous have run in everything else (m&p, glock, sti, shield, fns, and a XDm)

Fns has a better set of sights after the sharpie treatment but again that's opinion and preference, the trigger is stiff and has a considerable creep with enough finger control (when I would use trigger finger and thumb to control trigger press at home when I was doing a little dry firing) and it's way heavier than the ppq, I will eventually try the DIY trigger polish on it but for now it sits stock. In my hands the gun is definitely more accurate than the PPQ I was able to pull one inch (basically cutting out the A in the ipsc head box) with some 147 flat points that I found. I also shot a 1/2 steel challenge with it and pulled my fastest time in smoke and hope (2.60 not max Michel, but it's fast for me). I feel like the grip is good and fills my hand but the PPQ is a little more comfortable but the texture on the FNS is definitely better for grip and rip shooting. My beef with the FNS is the location and size of the mag release which got depressed on a couple draws from my middle finger on my strong hand wrapping up and around on a high grip and pushing it in. This led to a couple of amusing moments of my dumbfounded look and my mag on the ground. The gun fed, shot and ejected everything that I put in it which was a plus.

All in all I would say the FNS is a better comp pistol once you get used to the trigger with better accuracy and sights and the PPQ is a better newbie/plonked pistol due to how comfortable and easy to shoot it was due to the trigger ease (just couldn't make up for the chamber issues and not quite as good of accuracy).

I'll probably take the time eventually to do a proper bench accuracy test on both of them is a few different types of Ammo but for now I'll stick with the FN and work on the trigger at some point.

The PPQ has a shorter chamber (not quite as short as the CZ). Your hand loads were too long for the PPQ. The step you are seeing in the brass is because the PPQ chamber is stepped. It doesn't hurt anything and shouldn't cause any issues. The stepped chamber (I believe) was the original spec for the 9mm chamber. The HK VP9 is another gun that uses the stepped chamber.

Sorry if that made it sound like I thought I was dangerous, I more meant that I'm not super enthused about a pistol that is that touchy with ammunition especially since I load the 135's at or below saami spec for similar bullets and I think one set of the 115's was as long possibly a couple thousandths longer since it was a much pointier bullet.

• 3 weeks later...

Fwiw I've never had a failure to extract in my ppq and have run around a thousand rounds through it (all factory ammo). I did have it fail to return to battery a couple of times. Both times just a slight bump on the back of the slide locked it up and it ran fine for the rest of the day. Not sure of the cause and haven't had it happen in the last several range trips.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally had a chance to fiddle with a p320 the other day and I was very surprised at how un-siglike it was. No obnoxiously long trigger, not super top heavy, and comfortable it was. I definitely wouldn't mind getting my mitts on one, just those sights need something.

I finally had a chance to fiddle with a p320 the other day and I was very surprised at how un-siglike it was. No obnoxiously long trigger, not super top heavy, and comfortable it was. I definitely wouldn't mind getting my mitts on one, just those sights need something.

Sights can always be replaced

uBnmWlzl.jpg

Edited by alma