Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking into a new 9mm

chetc

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm a fan of cz products shoot great out of the box, 1911's in 9mm are a sweet shooting guns presently surprised with the rock island stuff. at a price point a couple hundred less than a springfield it's no akai custom gun but will do the job. not much of a fan of plastic guns anymore.

If this was me I would maybe try to sell the Ruger and Beretta and then purchase a Dan Wesson PM9 (if we are still saying strictly 9mm) or another caliber 1911 just to mix it up and do another division.

You probably won't find anything "better" than the G17 gen 4 (I would argue anything you find would be a sidegrade) because it is accurate enough and you can just plop in an extended mag release, recoil spring and maybe guide rod, sights, connector, and grip plug and be good to go. Not counting the sights since you would need to get some on basically any pistol you look at, you would be spending around $60 to have a very capable pistol.

Automatic = Autoloader it is not the same as magazines versus clips

all the firearms refered to by the poster are, in fact, SEMI-automatic which makes calling them auto(matic) as complete a misnomer as calling a magazine a clip. It is simply wrong.

I own an sp01 Accu shadow, Glock 34 and SA 1911 9mm. Love all three guns. They each have their pro's and con's. If I had to pick one for target shooting, the accu shadow would win, Glock 34 a close second and the 1911 third.

Edited by cakedog02

I dropped in a zev tech fulcrum trigger kit in my g34. It is an amazing trigger. Really improved my accuracy. After that I was surprised how competitive it was with the accu shadow. The big difference, though, is that the accu shadow has practically no recoil. That gun just eats the recoil and stays flat. The g34 has noticeably more recoil but with the fulcrum trigger and TTI fiber optic sights I am almost as accurate.

If you can save up your pesos I would recommend an accu shadow. Otherwise, I would recommend a gen 4 g34.

Edited by cakedog02

Automatic = Autoloader it is not the same as magazines versus clips

all the firearms refered to by the poster are, in fact, SEMI-automatic which makes calling them auto(matic) as complete a misnomer as calling a magazine a clip. It is simply wrong.

That would be fully automatic not automatic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_firearm

Edited by matt7184

What's worse than derailing a thread with semantics, is being completely and utterly wrong.

Automatic = autoloading. A pull of the trigger means a round is fired, the case is ejected, and a new round is chambered. This is not new terminology. As stated above, the 1911 was referred to as an automatic, and .45ACP is named as such to indicate that it is a rimless cartridge designed for automatic pistols, not the older .45 Colt designed for revolvers.

Someone even linked the Wikipedia article for a semi-auto, stating: "Additional terms sometimes used as synonyms for a semi-automatic pistol are automatic pistol, self-loading pistol, autopistol, and autoloading pistol."

There is no 'wrong' term. 'Semi-automatic' was simply coined well after the others so that a layman would not think that something like a 1911 was a 'machinegun' (technically machinepistol, but said laymen would not know that term, either).

Lots of great 9mm's on the market right now. I handled a sig 320 didn't like the feel i think it was not the largest grip available , but still. trigger was just wierd.

K100/excalibur intrigues me so i have one on the way

the Tanfolgio Stock 1 is in stock and real close to a stock 2.

Glock, SIG, HK's... too... this is a VERY vast market place.. good luck with your decision.

Pretty hard to beat a CZ P-09 for both price and accuracy. It has 3 backstraps to choose from and the triggers with CGW's parts are amazing.

Excited to add: I'd much rather have a DA/SA trigger. Do the math, in a 10 stage match you will most likely have 7 DA trigger pulls out of what, maybe 270 total rounds? As opposed to 270 striker trigger pulls? No thanks

Edited by zhunter

Good news and clarification.....Ohio Governor signed H.234 into law doing, among other things, recognizing other States CHL's even if no reciprocity exists. It also "Brings Ohio’s definition of “automatic firearm” in line with the federal definition, limiting it to only any firearm designed or adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function." Have a nice day all.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually picked up a Grand Power K100 X-Trim all of the Come with 4 back straps 3 front sights, I must say i am quite fond of the gun, this after having Tanfoglio's glocks beretta's shooting a few sigs, handling a Sig 320.

It should definitely not be overlooked.

Please let us know how you like it. I handled Robert King's and it's definitely interesting. It was really surprising how little force is required to unlock the barrel.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually picked up a Grand Power K100 X-Trim all of the Come with 4 back straps 3 front sights, I must say i am quite fond of the gun, this after having Tanfoglio's glocks beretta's shooting a few sigs, handling a Sig 320.

It should definitely not be overlooked.

Please let us know how you like it. I handled Robert King's and it's definitely interesting. It was really surprising how little force is required to unlock the barrel.

The k100 etc come with a heavier spring in them. I have the light mouse fart spring in mine.

Truthfully there are so many great guns on the market right now. My list of wants keeps growing.

To put it simply I think it's one of the best made factory guns out there at this price point. Like king an said his has the light spring in it those come the x calibur not the k100's at this point recoil is less than most polymer gun shooters are used to. I am sold looking forward to the 40 and 45 models coming.

The K100 at $300 from JG Sales is definitely a steal.

I started the sport as a total noob 3 years ago and made B class in less than 2 years, all while shooting the K100. And I did not really train hard, just one steel match a week and 2 USPSA matches a month.

If you have a good budget then a CZ would be a good idea but, as a few others are saying, the X-Calibur is a very solid platform for the price.

I know someone who is also very happy with his Walther PPQ (not sure I personally like the pre-formed grips).

Other solutions: Tanfo, Glock, FNH are other options.

Now it's up to you :) Try them if you can.

Edited by NicVerAZ

I love my 5" PPQ (it's also pretty tight) and am more accurate with it than any other polymer 9mm I've shot and similar to my results with a CZ75. You sure it wasn't the PPX that was sloppy? The X is a totally different gun, made by a different factory and is 40% of the price of the Q and does tend to have some slop. I find that in general I'm much better with a 5" gun than a 4.5" or shorter slide. Probably something to do with my eyes and sight radius. The glock G34 also shoots pretty nicely.

• 3 months later...

Anyone have any experience comparing the FNS-9 5" and the PPQ M2 9mm 5"? I've been wanting to get another poly gun ever since I sold my M&P and I'm wanting to try something different, I narrowed it down to these two and would like some feedback before I make the plunge.

Thanks