Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking into a new 9mm

chetc

presently i have 3 automatic 9mm, i want to get one more and possibly sell one, let me say what i have now, a like new Berreta 92FS purchased 20yrs ago, a Ruger SR9C about 3 mos old and a new Glock 17 gen 4 about a month old mainly i do target shooting, looking to see if i can step up i accuracy, i haven't shot the 92FS in 20yrs, been only shooting Ruger and the Glock i am shooting the Glock a tad better at the moment, so i went to the local gun shop looking, the owner shows me 3 9mm's the Walters PPQ, Walthers PPx and the H&K VP9, i have been hearing good things on the Walthers, but then i picked up the PPQ i noticed there was slop when i grabbed the muzzle end side to side neither my Glock or my Ruger has any, so the Walthers turned me off on looking any further, the H&K VP9 was tighter. would these guns be considered moving up or going backwards on what i have now, i noticed all 3 of the guns i looked at today seem to have a high feeling like what i am saying the center of the barrel seems higher from the grip compared the Ruger and the Glock, would this be a issue with muzzle flip to get back on target as compared to the lower profile gun, any input would be appreciated, if none of these choices would be an improvement over what i have now, suggest something other i can look into, my next choice was going to be a CZ75.

Chet

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look at the CZ P-09. They retail in the $450 range and are available. Check out the videos below of a P-09 shooting groups at 100 yards and 200 yards. Also you can do some basic upgrades swapping out springs from Cajun Gunworks. A fully worked up P-09 from Cajun Gunworks is about $700. Either way you will be happy.

100 yards

200 yards

Well OP, if you are trying to figure out which 9mm best suits you, I would try out as many different types and styles of pistols you can during the sae range visit so that you could do a direct comparison.

Since you have tried the PPQ, Glock, and the VP9, you might as well give the TP9 SA a whirl.

I tried many different pistols over the years and my experiences lead me to favor the 1911 and CZ75 style of pistols. I have handled but not shot the P07/P09 yet but they also seem to fit my preferences.

I am another Glock guy and have been interested in the HK VP9 (basically a PPQ with slightly better ergos), SIG P320, and the CZ P-09. I think I narrowed it down to 1 of these and maybe you can follow my reasoning and it may help you in your decision.

I do not like the mag release on the PPQ M2 as it sticks out and the frame is strangely wide in the area where it meets the trigger guard. The trigger is great.

The VP9 has those stupidly long slide release levers which I tend to not like, plus it has the euro style mag release which I just do not think I am as fast with or could be as fast with. The trigger is good but I feel that the average PPQ trigger is a bit better than the average VP9 trigger.

The P-09 and P320 were/are the front runners for me. The P-09 seems cheap but mags approach $50 and the CGW parts that I would want in there add over $100 to it. The P320 I have seen for the same price as the P-09 but it looks to be usable with just new sights. I haven't found a P-09 in person but I have found P-07s and I really like the omega trigger as far as DA/SA goes, but let's be honest, DA/SA sucks. I would rather run a single action with safety or a partially precocked striker.

I really like the concept of the P320, especially being able to change slides and frames. I think it has a lot of potential, plus it seems to be pretty accurate.

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

Nice shooting, Brisix. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I'd have trouble doing that at 35 yards - matter of

fact, I already have had trouble doing that at

35 yards.

:cheers:

I can't take credit for that. Just posting someone else work. :ph34r:

I have been having a lot of fun with the P320. The modularity is a pretty cool feature if you like to tinker. Grips (what would be the frame on any other polymer gun) run around $40 so it makes for guilt free modding.

8uzYufCh.jpg

The gun sits higher in my hand than a Glock but that hasn't led to an issue with muzzle flip for me. As an extra undocumented feature you can ride your weak hand thumb on teh takedown lever almost like an open gun's thumb rest and the trigger clicks and resets for each dry fire trigger pull even after the striker has been released.

I am still waiting on uncaptured recoil rod and lighter recoil spring ordered from Gray Guns and it's still running the stock trigger but I feel competitive enough with it as it sits.

This was my first match of the year (14 degrees outside) and first match with the P320.

Edited by alma

I have been having a lot of fun with the P320. The modularity is a pretty cool feature if you like to tinker. Grips (what would be the frame on any other polymer gun) run around $40 so it makes for guilt free modding.

8uzYufCh.jpg

The gun sits higher in my hand than a Glock but that hasn't led to an issue with muzzle flip for me. As an extra undocumented feature you can ride your weak hand thumb on teh takedown lever almost like an open gun's thumb rest and the trigger clicks and resets for each dry fire trigger pull even after the striker has been released.

I am still waiting on uncaptured recoil rod and lighter recoil spring ordered from Gray Guns and it's still running the stock trigger but I feel competitive enough with it as it sits.

This was my first match of the year (14 degrees outside) and first match with the P320.

HMM ! are you shooting professionally or related to Rob Leatham, that is some great great shooting, will look at that gun, does it have many mods other than grip tape

Chet

HMM ! are you shooting professionally or related to Rob Leatham, that is some great great shooting, will look at that gun, does it have many mods other than grip tape

Chet

It's still a new gun so it has nowhere near the options of a Glock or an M&P. Sights use the standard P226 dovetail so there are a few good options there.

Springer Precision and Talon are making precut grip tape. Springer Precision has two types of plus zero basepads with some +5s on the way. I have seen two other companies with prototype base pads for the P320. Gray Guns has uncaptured guide rods available that accept srandard 1911 recoil springs. Springer Precision has a new guide rod coming as well.

Blake Tech and Comp-Tac have holsters for the P320 as do several custom kydex makers.

Rob Burk and Gray Guns both have trigger job work available for the P320; however, there are no drop in trigger parts at this time. Gray Guns has promised some in the future.

In addition to the aftermarket support SIG should be making alterative triggers and slide releases available for the P320 shortly.

Here's my issue with the P320: They kept the worst thing about the P250. Other than the DAO...personally, I like DAO (for some purposes), and the P250's is quite good.

Anyway, the worst thing, to me- the idea of 'modularity.' While it's great to be able to swap out grip frames like you mentioned, the whole 'modular' aspect never really caught on, for the same reason that it NEVER does in the US- conversion kits cost as much as just buying a whole new gun. I was hoping that in the P320's case, they would at least swap to a better 'FCU' design...something CNC'd, like my P290 has. Instead, they gave us another one of those icky stamped steel rattletraps. I owned a P250 and just found it hard to have any confidence in that design.

I would simply add that the OP needs to decide on striker or hammer-fired first. For the latter, the K100 is pretty much impossible to match in the $500 range. Even compared to striker guns, I think its SA trigger is superior.

Here's my issue with the P320: They kept the worst thing about the P250. Other than the DAO...personally, I like DAO (for some purposes), and the P250's is quite good.

Anyway, the worst thing, to me- the idea of 'modularity.' While it's great to be able to swap out grip frames like you mentioned, the whole 'modular' aspect never really caught on, for the same reason that it NEVER does in the US- conversion kits cost as much as just buying a whole new gun. I was hoping that in the P320's case, they would at least swap to a better 'FCU' design...something CNC'd, like my P290 has. Instead, they gave us another one of those icky stamped steel rattletraps. I owned a P250 and just found it hard to have any confidence in that design.

I would simply add that the OP needs to decide on striker or hammer-fired first. For the latter, the K100 is pretty much impossible to match in the $500 range. Even compared to striker guns, I think its SA trigger is superior.

The 320 kits are $300 and include night sights and a mag so they are a pretty good deal. Say you get the full size and want the subcompact, you just buy the kit and are good to go for $300 and essentially have 2 guns (or 3 if you consider you can put the full size slide on the subcompact frame).

The equivalent for a Glock would be getting a 17/34 and a 26 and then you are at well over $1100 with sights while the SIG would be around $800-900

I really like the concept of modularity because the flavor of the month is always changing and being able to change with it is a good thing.

I just got a tanfoglio witness elite match. It's really accurate and I'm loving the single action trigger. You can swap slides and have 22lr, 9mm, 40s&w, 45acp, 10mm, and 38 super on the same frame. It's a cz clone. So if you like the ergos on them it's a good way to go. That also make them in DA/SA.

i am going to sell my 9mm beretta 92fs. ,have a chance to pick up a used gen 3 glock 17 at a steal, and put an aftermarket 6" barrel on it,and still be under 500.00 any thoughts on which would be a more accurate target shooter how would this do for target for example as the witness model or some others that were mentioned

chet

If just accuracy and cost are your primary criterion then look at the SIG P320. It's pretty ridiculously accurate out of the box.

Did I just read that you were considering a Glock 17 with a 6" barrel? Barrel length alone won't help you in the accuracy department.

thanks Alma

i just had the feeling an aftermarket 6" barrel would enhance accuracy over the other guns mentioned. ok the glock 17 is out with the 6" barrel. well cost is a factor trying to stay in the 650max range

Chet

For improved accuracy on a Glock 17 you could look into a BarSto or KKM barrel. This especially holds true if you get the slightly oversized gun Smith fit models.

I prefer the BarSto as I have found the KKM's very tight chamber to be a bit too particular with my reloads if there is any case bulge. Not a deal breaker but you definitely want to case gauge your match ammo carefully.

The accuracy advantage of a longer barrel for gun games has more to do with the increased sight radius. If that's your goal then look closely at something like a Glock 34 or 17L(not Production legal).

Edited by alma

presently i have 3 automatic 9mm, i want to get one more and possibly sell one, let me say what i have now, a like new Berreta 92FS purchased 20yrs ago, a Ruger SR9C about 3 mos old and a new Glock 17 gen 4 about a month old mainly i do target shooting, looking to see if i can step up i accuracy, i haven't shot the 92FS in 20yrs, been only shooting Ruger and the Glock i am shooting the Glock a tad better at the moment, so i went to the local gun shop looking, the owner shows me 3 9mm's the Walters PPQ, Walthers PPx and the H&K VP9, i have been hearing good things on the Walthers, but then i picked up the PPQ i noticed there was slop when i grabbed the muzzle end side to side neither my Glock or my Ruger has any, so the Walthers turned me off on looking any further, the H&K VP9 was tighter. would these guns be considered moving up or going backwards on what i have now, i noticed all 3 of the guns i looked at today seem to have a high feeling like what i am saying the center of the barrel seems higher from the grip compared the Ruger and the Glock, would this be a issue with muzzle flip to get back on target as compared to the lower profile gun, any input would be appreciated, if none of these choices would be an improvement over what i have now, suggest something other i can look into, my next choice was going to be a CZ75.

Chet

Sorry Chet. None of the firearms you mentioned are available the the general public in Auto. Semi-auto yes. Sorry. It's like calling magazines...CLIPS. makes me ears bleed. :surprise: