Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone add weight to the stock to balance the shotgun better?

Tuflehundon

One of my shooting buddies went to a skeet range to get fitted for his 3 gun shotgun. The changed stocks, and changed the comb (angle) of his stock. One thing the instructor also recommended, was to add weight to the butt stock since the guns we use in 3 gun are very nose heavy, especially when loaded with 10 or 12 rounds. Kinda made sense to me as I did the same thing with my rifle. I added a MagPul UBR stock because it's heavy and balanced the rifle better.

Instructor said the gun should balance 4 1/2" in front of the trigger guard when empty. Mine balanced several inches ahead of that. Took some lead fishing weights I had, wrapped them in a rag and put them in the stock. Then took extra cloth and shoved it in to keep the weights from moving. I added 7.9 ozs. Still need to add a little more to the rear to get it to balance were he said, but I have to say it felt like a different gun. I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but doing dry fire practice and loading practice I like the way the gun swings and feels with the added weight. I will likely get some more weights to put in before shooting to to get the balance point were he recommended.

He said to use lead or steel shot in a heavy duty zip lock bag and also to shove some rag pieces in first so the weight is as far back as possible. I don't have any lead shot, might have to pick some up.

Worst case if I decide I don't like it, I can always take it out.

Try it. It’s all in how you want the gun to shoulder, swing and feel. All things being equal a heavier gun will have less felt recoil.

I once added weight to the stock of gun I was using to shoot Skeet. Sometime later I took the same gun on an all day walking / hunting trip and forgot that I had added the extra weight. By the end of the day one arm was 6” longer than the other!

For sporting clays I have two Browning O/U shotguns. With a 30" barrel it balances nicely so no changes needed. With a 32" barrel it was a little nose heavy.

On the longer gun I pulled off the butt pad and stuck a handful of 45 cal 200 gr lead bullets into the stock. I found that too much added weight made me get too far ahead of high crossing birds. Reduced the number of bullets until I got it just where I wanted it.

I placed the bullets in a plastic bag and wrapped the whole thing in duct tape. Hasn't come apart after many years of use.

For 3 gun I use a MKA 1919. No matter how many rounds are in the box magazine and it balances right at the magazine.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Try it. It’s all in how you want the gun to shoulder, swing and feel. All things being equal a heavier gun will have less felt recoil.

I once added weight to the stock of gun I was using to shoot Skeet. Sometime later I took the same gun on an all day walking / hunting trip and forgot that I had added the extra weight. By the end of the day one arm was 6” longer than the other!

The added weight isn't much of an issue to me. Carried an M60E3 (18lbs) and an M240G (24lbs) as a Marine. My 3gun AR is right around 12lbs empty as well.