Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Lock Back Failure

Baer45

I have a couple of semi custom 1911s that the slide fails to lock back on after the last shot even after I shoot them with different brands of new magazines including WC...what is the first thing the pistol smith will look at to fix after making sure it's not a magazine problem?

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy

I have a couple of semi custom 1911s that the slide fails to lock back on after the last shot even after I shoot them with different brands of new magazines including WC...what is the first thing the pistol smith will look at to fix after making sure it's not a magazine problem?

Marine Corp

I'm guessing you are not the original owner here for either of these? If so, JMike's suggestion x2.

Competitors cut down the slide release so it will not catch open on a 1911,

I might also add you can probably diagnose the problem yourself. Unload the pistol, remove the slide and put the slide release back into the pistol. Take an empty magazine and insert it into the frame while you look at the inside of the frame and slide release. You should see the follower push the slide release up, which would in turn lock the slide back after the last shot fired.

I also like Allan's idea about the shok-buffs.

Edited by JMike

I'm the owner of these and other 1911s. One is 38 Super. I'm going to follow the ugh edition of taking the slide off and looking at what is going on. I hate to run a bill if there is a simple fix..thanks for the feedback....c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine Corp

If it's not the slide stop, mag follower or mag spring:

If it's a new gun (not broken in) it's probably short stroking. Use will cure it. You can also try a lighter recoil spring and see if it improves.

Go to Wolff Spring web site and buy a recoil calibration pack. This is how I got my Government 9mm to lock back properly. Just installed a tad bit lighter spring.

i tried adding the link for easy to find, but being a newer member it won't allow it.