Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 holster for IDPA

Clay1

Clay, my wife and I drove 90+ miles yesterday to shoot an IDPA match also. I think there is an IPSC match today that I may just shoot. The Blackhawk holster is legal. So is the Blade-Tec. I use the Uncle Mike double mag pouch.

I am a major whiner. Did you like the new Ken look? What a happy face. Sure wish some of us members could have interviewed Bill Wilson instead of the "hired hand".

I had a little bit of trouble this morning at the USPSA match with getting it all together, but I still really enjoyed myself. I liked the comments by Ken and bluntly surprised that they published them in the TJ.

Just put the sights on a target and pull the trigger then smile. Life is too short for all my whinning. I have to move on. As long as no one asks me about holster rules, I can (kind of) get past it. If you bring it up though I will fill your ears full of whinning because I am STILL PO'd and do plan on shooting more USPSA this year than anything else. I still like to pull a trigger at any match though because trigger time is trigger time. Match pressure is also match pressure and hard to duplicate at the range - just the facts. Have fun and shoot straight all.

I ordered a holster today and 4 mag pouchs. I know that I can only use two of them in IDPA, but I wanted 4 for USPSA.

I ordered a Comp-tac locking paddle. BIG PAUSE

Greg said that he could make it so it would be IDPA legal and fit my Wilderness CSM (combat shooters model). He said that if it didn't work out I could return it. That's about the best deal that I know of. He said he would take it back in exchange for another holster that he sells or just give me my money back to buy a different product from someone else. Bought the pretty chainmail pattern one. Don't know if I can hit a thing, but I am going to look damn good missing. B)

Just got(9 Mar 05) the Safareland 5186 which is the replacement for the BW approved 5183. The 5186 is the same holster as the 5183 near as I can tell and WILL pass the no light test. Brownell's has them and they are not expensive. The 5186 is also made for the Glock 34.

I'm good to go for SSP with my way under 39oz Glock 23 and a holster that will pass the light and the 3/4" test. :)

Hello all

Been lurking here for some time, guess its time for me chime in.

I just got the Blackhawk CQC holster in today, and as I see it, it's not going

to be legal for IDPA.

There is a gap between the outside of the backpiece and the inside of the holster, and the front edge is more than 1 3/4" below the breech face (1911).

It is a nice holster but I don't think it will fly

Mike, I don't know what a 1911 holster looks like, but my Glock holster is only 1 1/8" below the breech face. There is about 1/16" gap between the back plate and the holster. That could be fixed easily by removing a bit of plastic. On the other hand if Bill Wilson says this holster is not legal then he can kiss my lilly white a__. It will be time to move to another shooting sport. :angry:

The CQC holster seemed nice to me and it was fast too. Others have thought that it would be legal since there is no light in the belt channel, but like you said there is distance between where the belt goes and where the holster starts. Like you I didn't think that one was going to make it. The carbon fiber one without the serpa will make a nice holster for USPSA.

Go to this site: http://www.uspsa.org/. On the left side of the page there is a "where can I find a match" tab. Click on that and enter your zip code. You might be pleasantly surprised how many clubs are in your area where you can use that holster, pull a trigger and leave the range with a big smile on your face.

Any better ideas for my G34?

Last year the number one holster at the nationals was the Comp-Tac locking paddle.  Oh, by the way - it's illegal this year.  Take the most popular holster at the nationals and make it illegal.  I won't go off again.  I'll stop here.  Just tell me what to spend my money on this year.  Thanks guys

You need to get leather gear. Being from the Bay Area, I am familiar with leather, so I now have legal leather for all my IPDA guns and have retired my previously legal kydex because there is so much air to be seen. Hmmmm..... I detect a bit of bitterness and sarcasm, but it's not real as I love to spend money :rolleyes: BTW Milt Sparks gear is great and they are only a couple of months back ordered. The Sparks Bruce Nelson is the way to go IMHO unleas hq outlaws leather and goes back to Kydex next year.

Being from the Bay Area, I am familiar with leather...

Ain't touchin' that one, nuh-uh. :D

I'll back up Buff's recommendation of Milt Sparks. I've got the BN55 (the Bruce Nelson one he's referring to) for my Commander, and it works well and looks good. If you want a straight-drop holster you can check out Rusty Sherrick too http://www.c-rusty.com . His turnaround time and prices are about the same as Milt Sparks.

Remember, showing up with leather gear is good for style points - even with a Glock!

Clay1, to get back to you original question: I have a Glock 35. My holster is a Blade Tech Belt Holster (not TEK LOK). Their web site states it is IDPA legal and I have checked it against the new rule book and it appears to meet ALL the criteria. I use a old Don Hume 1 1/2 " belt that is just a hair thicker than 1/4 of an inch. Using the one of the supplied rubber spacers at the bottom of the belt slot snugs it to where the belt has to be forced into the slot.

I really like how it fits the G35 and its easy to draw from. I actually made a mistake and vbought a IWB holster and a pancake holster originally. Less GAMEY. The IWB just wasn't comfortable and required a bigger pants waist. Not very fast scrapping the gun againt my side. The pancake was just about as bad. Being new, it just didn't want to give up the gun and the barrel end was always sticking me in the thigh.

Came home from an IDPA match - within the last 10 minutes actually - and my Comp-Tac locking paddle and 4 mag pouches were waiting for me. It' s gorgeous, chainmail pattern, and the best part is that there is no and I mean no light in the belt channel area. I'm finally ready to go with a legal holster. If I get my rear out of bed I can shoot again in the morning, but given that I left the house today a little after 1 PM and just got home at 11:30 pm, I might be pushing it a little if I run out first thing in the morning again. Oh well, live life dangerously and have fun. I just have to get my wife to start shooting with me and soon - especially if I keep shooting every Saturday and every Sunday.

So, did the company modify the holster to make it legal for you?

If I may ask so delicate a question, are you an ectomorph, mesomorph, or an endomorph (built thin, medium or large)? It'd help me to know whether the holster would work for me.

:P

Kevin, sorry for the no response for a while. Even though I subscribe to the post I don't get notified that someone responds by email for some reason. I have to manually check everything that I posted to and I don't always check for a while. The holster came fast' ordered it from Greg on Tuesday and it was at my house in Wisconsin on Friday - Super Wow factor!

The holster and the mag pouches are beautiful in two ways. First they just look plain good with the chainmail, but with a light behind me and looking in a mirror there is no light in the channel. Greg actually asked my build and what belt I was using so that he could build it for that. I'm a short, fat guy: 5'6" and 180 - don't tell the wife will ya.

Greg custom tweaked it for me and I am just super happy with the product and the service.

So happy with the product that I bought my wife a locking paddle today. It's not on the web site but they make one for women that is a little drop and offset called a Diva. Even though it is basically a one of kind of custom thing, they sell them at the same cost.

What do you guys think, do I know how to treat a women or what? She got a G34 for Valentines day and now her birthday is in a few days and I bought the gear for her and a new turkey gun. Believe it or not those are her guns and maybe she will let me touch them once in a while, but the girl is having fun with the guns. Twenty fours years together in May - must be love.