Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What dies for precision spr reloading .223 do you use?

Djstorm100

I use RCBS dies not. But been thinking about getting Redding match or competition set dies as they produce fast less run out. Yes, this a semi and yes there are many different things that can effect shot placement because it is a semi. But looking to extract more out of my rifle through dies.

I do load on a Lee press, would there be any benefit in going with a Redding type single stange or RCBS perhaps?

I have no trouble hitting targets with it at competition but these are 1 moa or 2 moa targets at distance.

Hornady sizing die and Forster micro seating. Can't beat the Forster for me. I'd use them for pistol if they made them. Good price too. I was told that the Forster works best for seating compressed loads but I couldn't prove it. Just know it's very precise and places the bullet straight every time.

The standard Forster set is extremely good. The micrometer seater is nice, but not a necessity unless you need to load different OALs for multiple guns. The standard seating die has the sleeve to help with concentricy.

Not much to gain from switching presses. Potentially could benefit from floating the dies.

I definitely recommend Zediker's Handloading for Competition.

Redding copied Forster's design and charges more for it. Great dies but I have found no reason to believe that the Redding is superior, although they seem quite proud of them. Nothing wrong with them. If I wanted to load a caliber Forster didn't produce and Redding made it I wouldn't hesitate to purchase them, although for that kind of money I would also look at Whidden.

No problem. Another plus with the Forster is the neck honing service. Because you are going to be using a semi you are going to want to run the expander ball on the decapping spindle, however, once you take some measurements on your brass you can have the neck honed to minimize the work you are putting the brass through.

if you have the dies honed, its essentially the same thing as selecting a busing die and only running one bushing. You would need to run one kind of brass for best results. The idea is to open the neck up so you just size the OD of the neck just enough and the expander ball expands just enough. this works the brass a little less and should help to keep things a little more concentric.

To get away with no expander, you would need to settle on one thickness of brass. However, most dies resize brass way too much- you could have it honed out so that the thinnest brass will still adequately hold a bullet, and then run the expander to bring it back out to final dimension.

It has been brought to my attention that the new dimension Hornady dies have a sleeve in the seating die, similar to the Forster and Redding. The sleeve is probably one of the better things you can do to seat bullets in a concentric fashion. I haven't tried the Hornady dies but may pick up a set to try, for a caliber I won't be keeping long term. Forster doesn't make dies for the caliber this gun will be rebarreled to, so I either need to settle in on Hornady dies or go for much more expensive custom dies.

I have used all kinds of rifle dies and these comments apply to rifle dies only. and I will start by saying that I prefer the redding FL bushing dies for FL sizing and I prefer the foster seating die with micrometer for seating. I FL size everything and I don't see a need to neck size anything. One must keep in mind that you must have good brass to get low runout (loaded ammo), and low runout is the measure of performance that you are looking for when it comes to your sizing and seating system. Nothing you can do is going to help you seat a bullet straight in crooked brass. Your press will also factor into loaded ammo concentricity, or runout. As long as runout is .002 or so, everything is OK.

RCBS gold medal has an opening in the side, a sliding sleeve and a micrometer adjustment, this helps for seating flat base bullets. The sleeve only supports the case neck, not the whole case.

The Hornady system, in my opinion is not the most desirable as only the neck and bullet are supported. I have used these dies in .308, they work and have won 1000yd matches with ammo loaded with these dies. the Hornady factory FL die is on the tight side and is closer to a SD die. The expander is egg shape and this does help when you pull the button back through the case neck. The hornady decapping system is robust.

Foster dies have a system that supports the whole case and with their seating plug design, support a wide variety of bullets. The foster FL die has a floating button system and you can get a carbide button.

I have not used Dillon rifle dies.

With whatever die system you use make sure to use plenty of lube and well clean your cases. For .308 make sure you get lube in the necks.

I'm liking the RCBS GM seating dies a lot on the single stage press. For sizing - I've been very happy with the Hornady sizer with the expander removed - then using an expander mandrel to bring it to the final ID. It does mean a few more operations - decapping, size, expander instead of an all in one zapit.

I use RCBS dies not. But been thinking about getting Redding match or competition set dies as they produce fast less run out. Yes, this a semi and yes there are many different things that can effect shot placement because it is a semi. But looking to extract more out of my rifle through dies.

I do load on a Lee press, would there be any benefit in going with a Redding type single stange or RCBS perhaps?

I have no trouble hitting targets with it at competition but these are 1 moa or 2 moa targets at distance.

I don't see anything wrong with a Lee press or dies. I use a very old 3-hole turret press. I don't do anything fancier than powder drop separately with an RCBS. I use once-fired PMC Bronze brass, Fed Match primers and 77 SMKs and get sub-MOA groups from both my 3-gun rifle and my SPR (which I use for DMR matches). I have never checked for run out or weighed cases.

If your ammo is sub-MOA at 100 or 200 yards, your ability to hit further is dependent on having good dope and wind reading.

• 4 months later...

Good choice on the Forster dies. You should be good to go with the Lee press and I would definitely not upgrade to another O-ring type single stage. If you wanted to get more precise the next move up would be to a Forster Co-AX or an arbor press.

Consistency in your brass is going to be huge also. If you are able to police all of your brass Lapua is worth it in my book. If not find some Lake City and weigh them into similar groups. It helps to keep them all on the same number of firings also to keep the neck tension similar between the rounds.

• 3 years later...