Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chic (Hwansik) Kim

hwansikcjswo

Going to miss you in the next few matches, hope you have a great wedding and honeymoon (and trip to Korea). Oh, it's actually called a Rhodesian Wall, to be a Norwegian wall, it would have to be covered in ice and I don't think that would have worked yesterday :surprise: . Again, have a good and safe wedding and trip :cheers:

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to miss you in the next few matches, hope you have a great wedding and honeymoon (and trip to Korea). Oh, it's actually called a Rhodesian Wall, to be a Norwegian wall, it would have to be covered in ice and I don't think that would have worked yesterday :surprise: . Again, have a good and safe wedding and trip :cheers:

I am going to miss you too!!!

I will definitely have fun with all the wedding , nats and Korea!

Congratulations on the pending wedding.

Pending? :surprise:

The wedding is on schedule sir!

Wedding on sunday -> Honeymoon from Monday till Sat -> Nats on Thurs till Sunday -> S. Korea at the end of Aug for 2.5 weeks -> School start.

My mom's here for a month. Not gonna train much...

Wow. this summer is short.

Wait until you hit 40.... life is short! (I hit 40 like, last week and now I'm 45!) Enjoy the ride, and don't die until you hit GM.

Here's my marriage advice. Seriously.

ALWAYS respect your wife. ALWAYS. (that means no name calling no matter how pissed you are. You know, like at work with a coworker... because you kind of are.)

Never hang up the phone without an "I love you." One of these days, it might be your last.

My wife and I are at 20 years with those two rules.

Wait until you hit 40.... life is short! (I hit 40 like, last week and now I'm 45!) Enjoy the ride, and don't die until you hit GM.

Here's my marriage advice. Seriously.

ALWAYS respect your wife. ALWAYS. (that means no name calling no matter how pissed you are. You know, like at work with a coworker... because you kind of are.)

Never hang up the phone without an "I love you." One of these days, it might be your last.

My wife and I are at 20 years with those two rules.

Thank you so much. Especially the "Iloveyou" part. I am one of those guys don't say I love you at the end of a phone call. I recently started to say it before I hang up, cuz I saw my girl being disappointed when I didn't say it. :D

It's really busy now that the wed is right in front of me.

I haven't loaded for the nats yet... haven't been DFing nor working out...

The nats will be interesting since I am not training for it before the match :D

• 2 weeks later...

Back from honeymoon then straight to a local match :D

Even though I didn't touch my gun for like 2 weeks, I shot good except some serious mistakes :roflol:

I was surprised that my speed was there. But!!! I definitely felt CD(consistency, Discipline) was lacking a little.

My first Nationals is in couple days. I am going to work on CD. and shooting partial, especially while entering and exiting.

Also shooting Zebra partial while on the move.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

• 3 weeks later...

Nationals Review.

1. Arriving at the range the day of shooting was a very bad idea.
I need to arrive the range the day before and do walk-thru with counting all the targets.

2. Shoot the popper on the calibration zone.

3. Know what kind of stage you are shooting. (Survival stage can ruin your match)

I had many penalties that were from my inexperience.

Even with 11 penalties, I was able to finish the match with 32nd overall.

I was very exited how my shooting skills came this far. My ACED was improved dramatically. I still need more Consistency.

I feel I am a good shooter now. However, I still don't feel like I understand the game, USPSA. In order to bump my consistency level, I will need more understanding of the game and how I need to plan my strategies,. both shooting stages and training.

Since I am married and we are broke students, I NEED TO COME UP WITH AN IDEA FOR MY TRAINING for the next shooting season. Only this year so far, I have shot around 25k to 30k. It may not happen next year unless I get some sponsorship. I am making a vid to send some companies to sponsor me. Any recommendation who might sponsor me? :)

No matter what, my training for next shooting season begins NOW.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

• 1 month later...

My thumb is getting a bit better now. but shooting is not as good as before.

At the match today, I found I lack preparation on short and simple stages. Last week and today, both on small and simple stages, I made big mistakes. I need to treat every single stages as equally important, no matter how simple and easy they look.

I felt discipline today was the worst out of ACED. I hosed pretty hard.

I need to come up with a good plan to bring all the ACED up again.

I removed timer recently, but I am going to use timer again. However! I am gonna focus on not being rushed by the timer anymore.

The timer cues me to rush a bit.

I shot 44 rounds stage reshoot twice. Very tiring and running outta ammo :D Gladly shooters are so kind enough to just gimme ammo for the rest of the match

Edited by hwansikcjswo

One of the funniest match in my life so far.

I've seen improvements on my shooting definitely.

However, I still got some homework to do.

I need to practice reloading while going for a wide transition. and reloading from 2nd and 3rd mag pouch.

Another one is racking the slide using front serration again. I've been using rear for awhile, I think front is better.

• 2 months later...

Training has started again for 2016.

I started agreeing what Ben Stoeger said on his podcast "It takes about a full year to see some improvement on a skill for me"

Since I shot 1.5 years, I started feeling some real improvement on 'Shooting' part.

I did some live fire on the range a couple days ago,

I focused on shooting on the move and a bit of one had shooting.

I realized when I do something that I don't routinely practice, I tend to grip weaker such as shooting on move(SOM), awkward position, one hand shooting etc.

I am gonna putting more effort on getting the grip hard on all the skills of shooting.

When I practiced SOM, I was able to cut .5 sec or more (video). First trials (on vid) I shot less points when shot on move.

I was able to fix that by gripping as hard as stationary shooting grip

I used to do the same thing with grip. I've had "firm grip" in my goal list for a long time and been grip training daily at work now. No testing, but arms feel better and I'm able to squeeze 120lb COC trainer 10 times more easily than before. (although still tough) I have to go very slowly due to years of tennis elbow.

The thing that really helped me with grip strength training is 2 part.

1. Get a gripper that you can NOT, or BARELY make 10 reps. Doing 20-30 light weight reps with cheap trainers is NOT strength training.

2. Equalize gripper training with extension training. Get rubber bands from "IronMind" so you can train OPEN grip along with closing grip.

I think it's helping a lot.

I used to do the same thing with grip. I've had "firm grip" in my goal list for a long time and been grip training daily at work now. No testing, but arms feel better and I'm able to squeeze 120lb COC trainer 10 times more easily than before. (although still tough) I have to go very slowly due to years of tennis elbow.

1. Get a gripper that you can NOT, or BARELY make 10 reps. Doing 20-30 light weight reps with cheap trainers is NOT strength training.

2. Equalize gripper training with extension training. Get rubber bands from "IronMind" so you can train OPEN grip along with closing grip.

Thank you for the great tip.

I have a question.

I have tennis elbow on my right arm (from seating primers so hard).

Would gripper make tennis elbow worse?

Thank you for the great tip.

I have a question.

I have tennis elbow on my right arm (from seating primers so hard).

Would gripper make tennis elbow worse?

Yes. Gripping exacerbate Tennis Elbow because the root cause of Tennis Elbow is muscle imbalance in the 2 different muscle groups, the ones used to close & the ones to open your fingers. The cure is to use the rubber band method to strengthen the muscle group in charge of opening your fingers.

Or if you have the dumbbells at home, you can do what this Physical Therapist/shooter suggested:

https://www.absolutept.com/tendinopathy/

MilkMyDuds is correct. Go super easy on the elbow until it doesn't hurt anymore. Then rehab with light strength training and work up to being able to do actual strength training while maintaining the balance. I work harder on the opening than the closing. So for every two sets of opening with rubber bands, I do 1 set of grippers. If something in your elbow hurts STOP. Re-injuring will take years to overcome. No more hammering or digging holes either. That makes elbows hurt like hell.

The best method I found to get healed while resting the elbow is acupuncture.

I got lots of homework from my first production match in months.

I zeroed a classifier stage from not following the instruction. My reload was a bit rusty as well. However, my shooting was good.

I shot a swinger in 1 pass and I knew it was good hits. I couldn't do this last year.

At the match, I did some shooting on the move, I shot many rounds on the move, I think I dropped only one or two. I feel much confident and comfortable. I see the improvement, but I need more.

One of the biggest problem today was with reload. I think I just need more time practicing with my new gun.

I have more problems. I had trigger freeze problems and making up Charlies. It's been awhile not fixing them. I am putting that on my goal list for 2016. I think the solution is relaxing the strong hand grip.I will find out soon.

OK! I learned a harsh truth about procrastination.

I did not fix the trigger freeze problem.

This week I am going to go out to the range and shoot close targets like 3 yards and find out the solution to this mad trigger freeze.

Another problem on the first stage was that I didn't think about how many extra shots I can shoot or a back-up plan.

I need to do more detailed walkthrough.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

Do you think it would have been faster to stuff your pouch with a magazine rather than going back?

It was in the WSB that you couldn't put mags in your pouch (I shot the same match, but I shoot open and didn't have to worry about it).

Edited by Bkreutz

I would say it would be faster.

BUT, for the stage, stage rule stated that the magazines used can not be put onto shooter's belt.

So, I either had to come back to grab the mag or hold it with my hand (or mouth :D)

Do you think it would have been faster to stuff your pouch with a magazine rather than going back?