Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chic (Hwansik) Kim

hwansikcjswo

Yesterday, I tried two drills from Ben's drill book, "Accelerator" and "Distance change up".

It was pretty challenging to shoot all alphas. I felt accepting some charlies is better hit factor for me right now. I'd like to get all alpha with the same finishing time.

I felt my stance was too rigid. after watching vid, I realized I need to be aggressive forward and bent knees to make center of gravity forward

Since I want to have consistent runs at Nat'l, I am challenging my fundamentals first.

I'd like to address everything from the scratch.

I'd like to address Stance, Grip, Trigger control, Shot calling and Match pressure this week and next week.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last weekend, I shot two matches. both were very good and tons of learning. I did production overall win as well.

On Sat, I had two goals, first was pray to God. and Second was just relax.

It worked really good, it was great.

My vision was wider, more accurate shots and faster movements.

There was some hardcore stages like week-hand platerack and 30 yrd circle+square plate rack. Very challenging and fun.

On Sun, I had another goal, first do those two things I did on Sat and get better stance.

There was a awkward ballet dancing lean shots with trigger freeze. I need better stance on awkward positions.

I was fast and shot well. I definitely see improvements on reloading.

It was my first time beating a GM. It was good feeling.

In DF today, I worked on transitions.

When I compared me shooting with a GM. I lost a bit of time on transitions.

When I tried Blake drill, I had .28 transitions. I am pretty sure I can save .05 sec on all the transitions I currently do or even more.

My stance is getting so much better and still being relaxed.

My reload is getting more consistent.

I start to realize that programming (or visualization) is super important.

I don't wanna train in "Dumb" mode where I don't think what I am gonna do. I will change my training from "Dumb reps" to "smart practices for match" or so called "Random practice"

Great thread Chic,

It's impressive to see how far you've come in such a short amount of time. I knew you practiced a lot, but I'm learning a lot from you about taking the time to analyze and document your discoveries and use that information to guide your next session. See you at the range!

Jason

Match today was very painful. but lesson learned.

The weather was horrible. Raining, hands get wet, pro-grip became muddy on my hands, mags not falling, cold, etc.

Everybody had rough day today.

Today's highlight was 75 yard 6 reload 6. I mostly shot Deltas (all of em right side) It maybe trigger cntrl or my sight. I don't know.

I now will bring a towel in my range bag. Also I will do a research on resolving my hands sweating problem.

I had a real hard time shooting with my hands wet. My gun felt so floppy.As a result, I threw lots of Ms and NSs.

The first stage, I forgot to be relaxed, result was stiff reload and lots of Cs

Even though it was a pain to shoot today, I learned some valuable lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

Your accuracy/shooting skills are very good. Seems the work you have ahead of you is not in sight or trigger control issues. What I see is many accessory movements and some poorly timed reloads. Try to be more efficient in your movement. There is a drastic lean when reloading and your gun arm drops quite a bit. In order to work on less movement think of the reload from the left hand. Try positioning mag pouches so that you snag the mag and bring up in a quick and comfortable motion. Then put the gun where the mag is. You'll find it's quite a bit higher than it is now reducing extra movements in arms. Practice this dry-fire WITH NO GUN. If you just grab a mag and bring it up, by the time you are quick and comfortable you'll find it's way high, in front of your face. Then add the gun into the scenario and see what happens.

While talking about extra movement that can, and does include the entire reload. You have many mag pouches on your belt. Use them. You should be reloading whenever you need to in order to avoid a standing reload. E.G. Last stage with the port. I think you should have reloaded twice. Once going into the port, and again coming out of the port. This would avoid the severe time loss of coming out of the port - reloading - going back in the port. Anytime you can make a reload concurrent with movement you don't have take reload time out of your shooting time. That's a plus.

I hope I'm helping. You have come quite a ways since your first posts. Keep up the good work!

Today, I went to IDPA classifier match. It was my second match of IDPA. I didn't shoot good. I didn't make Master by 1 second.

I will not get drunk the day before a match now. Also, I didn't bring caffeine to the match. I need to take care of chemicals in my body.

I shot my back up gun which is much heavier trigger. I had a BAD trigger jerk with a week hand shooting string.

I need to work on week hand transition.

This week, I will be working on partials with one hand shooting and different positions.

School is starting. I am going to work out lots this quarter.

I am so exited to take JJ's class at Boise, ID.

The classifier result came out. I actually made Master for both SSP and ESP by 1 second (88.5 sec).

I was so exited to see that. I must have calculated wrong after the match.

I am heading to range soon to work on partials. I will try free style, one handed shooting and barricade(port) shooting.

Yesterday, I worked on shooting partials. a half hard cover target was extremely difficult.

I learned trigger control is the key to shoot partials, especially with one handed shooting.

I;d like to try more partials. I will try more no-shoot targets next time.

Today I shot a club indoor match. Many illegal targets and rules happening over there but it is a very good challenge.

I had 7 procedural because I didn't program those weird rules.

My shooting part was good. It didn't feel so fast, but it was so fast. It was very good feeling. Things are getting faster naturally.

However, my reload today was not so fast. Because when I move to the next box that are one or two step close, I tend to look at the floor and look at the magwell. Should I focus on finishing the reload and see where I step?

one struggle was getting a good stance when I entered a barricade. Getting a good stance was a key to shoot well from the barricade.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

DF today, I worked on my relaod.

Keys to speed reload so far was magwell focus, angle of the magwell, and gun close to the body.

I experienced that the better grip I have on the mag, I have better relaod (consistent and fast). I used my pinky and ring finger to grap the bottom part of the mag.

Another key is having good grip on the mag

I came back from JJ Racaza's class.

I learned so much from him, not only shooting but characteristics of world class shooter.

I was very surprised how humble he is and student minded, he is a world class teacher because of these characteristics.

He taught me some game changing shooting skills.

The class really focused on the fundamentals of shooting, trigger control and sight.

I had 2 different style of trigger manipulation, long or short distance. When JJ said "One style of trigger control no matter the distance" something clicked me.

After firing a shot, I reset it quick but I didn't remove the slack of the trigger. One of the drill I shot in the class, I had 1 second transition time to 10" plate. After JJ told me to "prep" the trigger, the transition went down to .83 then .7 area.

There were mental programming parts too, like "Shooting points, not speed shooting."

On second day, JJ talked a lot about efficiency. such as aggressively kicking out when transitioning to the other side of barricade, using core muscle in exit, shuffling in entry etc.

He spent lots of one on one time that helped me so much. Even though I do video analysis, It was a great help from him, especially someone who can see way more than I do.

Every penny I saved up for the tuition was totally worth.

I added 4 things on my shooting note in red.

1. Reset, prep

2. Let sight dictate

3. point shooting, not speed shooting

4. moving-kick out, use core muscle

Edited by hwansikcjswo

I'm very happy for you. I'm glad you saved up and got to experience training from a world class shooter. I just signed up for a Manny Bragg class and can't wait for that also. I've taken some classes from great shooters in the past and it's very motivating. Game changing... good stuff.

I look forward to seeing your game improve after this.

I came back from JJ Racaza's class.

I learned so much from him, not only shooting but characteristics of world class shooter.

I was very surprised how humble he is and student minded, he is a world class teacher because of these characteristics.

He taught me some game changing shooting skills.

The class really focused on the fundamentals of shooting, trigger control and sight.

I had 2 different style of trigger manipulation, long or short distance. When JJ said "One style of trigger control no matter the distance" something clicked me.

After firing a shot, I reset it quick but I didn't remove the slack of the trigger. One of the drill I shot in the class, I had 1 second transition time to 10" plate. After JJ told me to "prep" the trigger, the transition went down to .83 then .7 area.

There were mental programming parts too, like "Shooting points, not speed shooting."

On second day, JJ talked a lot about efficiency. such as aggressively kicking out when transitioning to the other side of barricade, using core muscle in exit, shuffling in entry etc.

He spent lots of one on one time that helped me so much. Even though I do video analysis, It was a great help from him, especially someone who can see way more than I do.

Every penny I saved up for the tuition was totally worth.

I added 4 things on my shooting note in red.

1. Reset, prep

2. Let sight dictate

3. point shooting, not speed shooting

4. moving-kick out, use core muscle

Excellent! Thank you for sharing what you learned!!

Today at the range, I worked on efficiency (preping the trigger, moving to the other box) with 25 yard partial targets..

From vid analysis, I found that I shuffle my step twice before entering the shooting box.

I'd like to try shuffling once.

I found I shoot too close to A's with partial that leads to penalties especially at 25yrd.

When I took more time to aim, I had consistency in result.

When I shot 12 second area, I had many penalties. However, when I shot 14 sec area, I had much less penalties.

Overall average hit factor of 14 sec was higher.

I am starting to know more of how fast I can shoot and I much I should speed up or down.

My CZ broke on me again... It goes to half cock after I slam a reload. Now I have to spend more money to fix it....

I am getting tired of having issues with my gun. Do I need a new gun? stock 2? or buy another shadow to have a back up gun?

I am spending too much time fixing my gun..

At the last match, I realized I need to focus on relaxing again. When I focus on movements, I tend to forget about shooting.

I need to work movements in practice, and not think about it much at the match.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

Match last weekend was pretty humbling. I learned a lot.

First, chemical in my body, caffeine for the most part, affected me so much. I need to have good sleep.

Second, relax.

Third, walk through. I didn't walk through some details. I forgot to bring my shooting note.

4th, calling shots for close hosing targets.

Keep practicing on movements. I still need to work on relaxing.

I found that pumping my arm when running is faster

I am noticing that I don't take too much time slowing down from sprinting now. I feel more aggressive in movements.

I'd like to work on more partial targets.

My CZ broke on me again... It goes to half cock after I slam a reload. Now I have to spend more money to fix it....

I am getting tired of having issues with my gun. Do I need a new gun? stock 2? or buy another shadow to have a back up gun?

I am spending too much time fixing my gun..

At the last match, I realized I need to focus on relaxing again. When I focus on movements, I tend to forget about shooting.

I need to work movements in practice, and not think about it much at the match.

A second gun is a must for the number of competitions you are participating in. If you enter even more competitions, you may find a 3rd gun is required.

All guns have some issues, therefore I would recommend sticking with the CZ. You can always change platforms, but it's one more variable to manage as you are working toward your goal.

Great work so far and keep moving forward!

Edited by wmetzler01

Man you are coming along so fast. Super chic!

With the amount of dry fire and live fire you're doing I agree you need a backup. Preferably identical to your main gun.

The tanfo is a heavier gun with larger grip. Operation wise they are the same but in some areas the cz is actually better.

In your case regardless of platform you're going to need lots of spares for maintenance.

Tanfoglio has little support in the us. Cz has lots. I think cz may be the better choice.

You need to start recording the '"life" of following parts:

Trigger return spring

Slide stop

Hammer

Sear

Main spring

Recoil spring

Mag springs

Then devise a replacement schedule. Luckily most of those parts are cheap.

Thank you! BeerBaron. I ordered new sear and hammer. I will be running my cz this weekend, not being fixed yet...

I will suck it up and shoot at the match :D

My back is bothering me again. Chiropractor is fixing it hard but I don't know when I will be like I was 5 years ago :(

I've been keep loading and shooting. Now I am running outta ammo again and my elbow started hurtting from all the crazy reloading.

I need some solution.... I will try to work out to have more strength on my arm to pull down the press more.

Body chemical experiment is going pretty well. No caffeine but Powerade is working fine. I just started to sleep early as well, at 10pm or 11.

I now know where to aim for (most) partial targets. now it's time to do more long dist with'em