Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chic (Hwansik) Kim

hwansikcjswo

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good stuff. Lucky the squib was caught!

btw in that last match it looks like sweeping a couple of times again when you reach forward to catch the bullet. if you notice when you rack the slide the bullet is going forward. I know you snatch your hand back but on the vid it looks like it's going in front of the muzzle. I notice at the end you racked the rear of the slide and just let the bullet fall on your hand. It's not a bad idea. There's nothing wrong with flip and catch but you need to make sure if the bullet is going forward of the muzzle just let it go. don't reach forward to catch. if it comes straight up, or up and back, fine catch it. if it's going forward a bit just let it go and watch where it falls.

I bet you still had a great score of the classifier even with 1 c and 1 d. :)

There is certainly an improvement. Take it a step further. Also keep in mind it's really not Forward you are after, but rather Lower. It's the bent knees and hip rotation that get's what you are after and not just leaning "forward." Check out Chris Tilley... he get's low enough for stability. Keep up the good work. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but from my point of view I see you working hard and improving and like to see it.

good stuff. Lucky the squib was caught!

btw in that last match it looks like sweeping a couple of times again when you reach forward to catch the bullet. if you notice when you rack the slide the bullet is going forward. I know you snatch your hand back but on the vid it looks like it's going in front of the muzzle. I notice at the end you racked the rear of the slide and just let the bullet fall on your hand. It's not a bad idea. There's nothing wrong with flip and catch but you need to make sure if the bullet is going forward of the muzzle just let it go. don't reach forward to catch. if it comes straight up, or up and back, fine catch it. if it's going forward a bit just let it go and watch where it falls.

I bet you still had a great score of the classifier even with 1 c and 1 d. :)

Thank you for the tip again!

I automatically used old method to ULSC. However, I thought of you comment in the middle of the match and tried other method.

I am going to put it in my system not to use old method now.

There is certainly an improvement. Take it a step further. Also keep in mind it's really not Forward you are after, but rather Lower. It's the bent knees and hip rotation that get's what you are after and not just leaning "forward." Check out Chris Tilley... he get's low enough for stability. Keep up the good work. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but from my point of view I see you working hard and improving and like to see it.

Thank you that is a great tip, getting lower.

I tried in DF just now. I need to develop more leg muscle now hahahaha.

Thank you for the vid too. Very fast shooting on the move!

I tried shooting on the move in LF. targets at 10 yard, 1 yard far from ea. other.

The result was very good since I changed my stance in moving, lower and forward.

the more I focused on sight tracking, the better result it was.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

Great progress and congrats on your upcoming marriage!

Have you tried syncing your shotmaxx to the app? If not, I'd highly recommend it for tracking progress during training sessions. Then you can compare your training data to actual match to spot places where you're doing well, as well as, places to improve.

Keep up the great work!

Will

Great progress and congrats on your upcoming marriage!

Have you tried syncing your shotmaxx to the app? If not, I'd highly recommend it for tracking progress during training sessions. Then you can compare your training data to actual match to spot places where you're doing well, as well as, places to improve.

Keep up the great work!

Will

Thank you Will!

I just downloaded the app. now I am gonna figure out how to use it!

Such a great tip!

Have a look at some of the Jerry Miculek videos on shooting technique. He says one thing that I now apply and I think it's help my personal progress.

he talked a bit about weaver stance, modified weaver etc. Talked about crouching/getting low, leaning the body etc.

What he says (and I'm paraphrasing a bit here) "I do not do anything that does not directly add to my shooting performance".

You notice he stands very square to the target. His upper body is very straight. Knees only slightly bent. He brings the gun up to his eyes (does not lower his head at all). The only time he does get low is when shooting on the move.

Basically the idea is to make your shooting actions as simple and repeatable as possible. Don't add any extra flourishes or extra movements that are not needed. Break it down to the most basic stuff you need to do to get the job done.

Not every technique works for every person. For example I see most top shooters with arms locked right out stiff and I've seen others with a slight bend in both elbows. So it's worth trying a few different things and see what works. But I found jerry's video very good.

At LF yesterday, I recorded my current one of the top average runs. I think my mistake rates are 40% ish. I am somewhat consistent.

I am going to compare my skill level in June with this video.

http://youtu.be/voEEkvQGu8k

All A runs

@ 7 yrds

1 shot draw : .85 s

Bill drill : 1.85

2 reload 2 : 2.41 with 1.09 reload

1 reload 1 @ 3 yrds :1.68s .74 draw .94 reload

Match report.

The biggest challenge today was leaving all the mistakes and malfunctions behind the previous stages and not bringing any negative thoughts to the next stage.

My CZ started double feeding from last week. I changed to stock cz in between stages today and the trigger reset was way far forward.

I had the scoring sheet most of the time. I had one stage that I had to score a shooter and I came to the line not being ready.

The first stage I ran like I was warmed up. I had so many mistakes such as making up Charlies, unnecessary reload.

One stage with bunch of hearts, I should've shot the first double action at a easier target.

I need to focus on the sight more not the targets.

The last stage i decided to take all the time to shoot alphas. It worked great, dropped only 3 C's.

I felt like I shot 80% of my capability, but it turned out to be the best stage I shot the day.

I really want a gun that works. CZ has been troublesome. I'd like to buy a new platform. Stock2 sounds good but I can't find one.

I am considering changing the division or may not. I will stick with whatever div. untill 2016 Nats.

The CZ can and should be reliable. Believe me, I have 2 CZ shadows and a tanfoglio stock II. If anything I'd suggest the CZ has a slight edge in reliability. Mainly due to the firing pin block. Shadow doesn't have one, stock II does and if something goes wrong with it it can cause a little drag on the firing pin just enough to give a light strike. The CZ is also easier to work on. Much easier to change hammer spring (2 min job on the shadow, 20 min job on the stock II).

There's also much better parts support for the CZ and parts are generally cheaper too.

The stock II goes have a bigger grip size (though if you like the CZ with small grips you may find the stock II too big). Have you ever tried the factory rubber grips on your shadow? personally I found the alloy grips too small. the factory rubber worked much better in my hands.

It's 'easier' to get a really nice trigger out of a shadow, though with some work a stock II can get pretty close. The stock II does have one disadvantage always which is the short hammer strut/hammer spring.

I'm not sure what spec your current shadows are but for good reliability and nice feel I'd suggest you consider the following mods (you may not like/need them all).

old style 85C (or 97B) trigger (it's less curved and thicker - no sharp edge)

comp hammer (either the CZC or CZ UB)

short reset disconector (CGW)

adjustable billet sear (CGW)

floating trigger pin (CGW)

reduced power trigger return spring (CGW)

light hammer spring (11.5lb or 13lb. both should reliabily light off most primers if you run a lighter firing pin spring)

extended firing pin and light firing pin spring (CGW)

play with some different recoil springs (from 10lb to 13lb, just depends on your load and how you like the gun to return after the shot)

try the stock rubber grips with some grip tape on the front and back strap of the grip.

get the sights set the way you like them (there are so many sight options, personally I like the reliability of fixed sights and adjust as needed with different height front sights)

mags. I'm not sure which mags you are using but double feeds could well be a mag related problem.

BTW, .those draws and reloads are spicy!! 1.09 reload in the 2 reload 2 drill is really good.

The match vid just looked like you were having an off day. Few mistakes with reloads etc.

Thank you for the great info. BeerBaron !

I have two of rubber factory grips and my hands sweat lots. I found DAA grips with grip tape is better for my hands. I have big hands, I am 6'3" tall. If Stock 2 is not so reliable, I would hate it unless I have a identical back up gun hahaha.

Most of the parts in my CZ are CGW parts.

I changed my extractor today, I hope it will fix my problem.

Today, in DF, LF, and yesterday's match, I got frustrated by sucky reload.

In DF, I figured from 2 reload 2 drill that the sight focus is the key to everything.

Sight discipline will completely change my shooting because I've got all the movements.

Elprez vid. my time was 5.46 with 3 C's

Tech Note 2.

Sight focus in 2 R 2 drill.

Target focus & beep -> get Sight focus -> magwell focus -> sight focus

Edited by hwansikcjswo

ahh. ok. Have you tried using fast grip/pro grip/liquid grip? all of them will get your hands nice and dry and work well on all types of grips. If you're using the DAA thick grips then they are the thickest of all the alloy grips for the shadow. They were my second favourite option too behind factory rubber.

I wasn't trying to say the tanfoglio is un-reliable. far from it. I guess my point was if someone asked me which is the more reliable gun, the shadow or the stock II my first answer would be both are very reliable. second answer would be if I had to depend on one to save my life I'd probably take the shadow over the stock II. But they are both very similar guns.

The biggest differences are:

short hammer strut and hammer spring on stock II (partly causes the DA stacking so many talk about), because of that, to change hammer springs you must remove sear cage and hammer, big hassle over a shadow.

Firing pin block on the stock II (none on the shadow). This 'can' cause the odd light strike problem if it's not fitted and working 100%.

Wobbly trigger on stock II (they have a loose fit between trigger pin and trigger causing a wobbly trigger, it sucks). henning trigger pin can fix it but I'm not sure if USPSA legal for production (it probably is for USPSA but I know it's not in IPSC)

The trigger bar upwards pressure on a stock II is provided by a plunger head with a coil spring under it pushing up on the trigger bar, it's another friction point that the CZ doesn't have. in the CZ you have that spring that doubles as the mag release spring providing upwards pressure on the trigger bar directly.

On the plus side the tanfoglio has a larger grip so for guys with big hands it will feel better and it has nice checkering on the front and back strap. It also has a really nicely done hard chrome finish

Stock II has a bull barrel/cone barrel which has polygonal rifling vs the CZ match barrel with traditional rifling. the benefits of one over the other are questionable at best. Both seem to shoot very well.

Much wider parts options and smith options for a CZ (CGW, CZC, AA/Mink, CZ USA, CZ UB and I'm sure many others). Tanfoglio is basically Henning Walgren, J&L, Jim Bodkin, Canyon Creek and parts from EAA or Eric G xtreme parts

The stock II is heavier (especially at the muzzle end). This is good and bad. It does help tame recoil further, but a heavier gun does transition slower. or I should say you have to drive it harder.

At the end of the day I don't think a well tuned shadow gives anything away to a well tuned stock II (except in looks. stock II are dead sexy). In some ways the shadow may even be better. As it's very easy to get a nice consistent 5-6lb DA and a 2.5lb SA trigger with super short SA pre-travel and reset. You can apparently get close in a stock II in SA but I've never personally felt one that had a DA near as good as a tuned shadow. CZ parts also tend to be cheaper on average than tanfoglio parts.

If the shadow fits your hand well then I'd suggest there's no reason to change. if you found the stock II fit you much better then that reason alone might be enough to make the change worthwhile.

Hopefully new extractor (consider perhaps extra power extractor spring) will make you're shadow reliable again. :)

That's a great info. to know! Thank you so much!

My heart is doing IPSC matches in the future.

I think I might try Stock 2 at least once and see if it shoots well in my hands.

Because I have a Accu-shadow, which is not legal for IPSC.

I am pretty sure I can get at least one stock 2 in 2 years hahahahaha. I am praying for it to happen. :)

Edited by hwansikcjswo

I've been working on my reloading tech since I sucked at last week's match.

It improved tremendously since I had a revelation about changing my sight focus to magwell and relaxing my body.

I shot 2 r 2 at 7 yrds with .97 reload. my updated my record.

I had a bad pain on my right shoulders from positioning my arm right next to the pistol when drawing the gun. It stretched my arm and shoulder to a awkward posture.

I changed my hand position for both relaxed sides draw and surrender draw.

I talked to my chiropractor and he said hands are at 30 degree angle from the stomach is when body is relaxed. However my right hand was at 90 degree angle to make it parallel to the gun.

I took the advice and applied it. I now can practice draw without pulling my shoulder muscle

Classifier match last week went pretty well.

I shot a 100% and 95% classifier.

There was a problem with trigger freeze. Other than that, I felt ok.

Reload is definitely getting much better after changing my focus to sharp focus on the magwell.

after the match, I calculated my percentage will be around 90%.

However, since I am a B class, next month I might be A class, not M if they drop my 100% ones.

At indoor practice today, I shot pretty well.

I shot good points and most of all, I felt very calm and trusting, not rushing.

I had a make up shot on Virginia cnt stg.

I had a trigger freeze moment. I need to figure out how to fix them.

I need to program more for V count now.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

your 2 reload 2 drill was awesome. there is a vid somewhere on youtube of a shooter (brazillian I think) who can hit mag release, grab mag, insert mag, and then catch the falling mag! you are not far off. Your new mag is passing the falling mag on its way down!

You are coming along so fast. I think all the dry fire is working for you big time!

I started focusing on skills to improve field stages.

I tried easy & hard exit and targets after a wall.

start aiming before target is even available gave me better transition time. Way more efficient to finish aiming before the target is visible.

Since I realized getting a GM card for me is not the biggest goal, I decided to focus on BEING a gm and furthermore first Korean IPSC champ.

3.6s par time.

focusing on engaging the target as soon as it is visible.

Match today I had goods and bads.

First, I had great strategies

Second, none of them were executed with out a mistakes, a few are serious mistakes.

I had a stove pipe, loosing one mag that I needed, couple bad reloads, passing a spot I was supposed to stop, not hitting a popper at the center and not calling shots.

Third, I've seen improvement on getting the gun up and ready to shoot as the target is visible after a barricade.

Now, I sent my 2015 prod nat'l slot request form. I heard I will get the slot for sure.

My training for national starts from now.

It will be my first year anniversary for shooting USPSA right before nationals. My goal is not being in top 20 this year but I want to have at least consistent match.

My training will be focusing on consistency. I guess making difficult shots, strong hand week hand stuff, shooting visual focus, not movement (cadence maybe) focus and nailing reloads.

I will work on lots of partials and steel targets.

Any comments about training to be consistent will be very appreciated.