Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chic (Hwansik) Kim

hwansikcjswo

From my first match at Custer, WA in July 2014, I fell in love with the sport I soon began to buy gears and training equipment.

My first ranking was C class in production, a month later I got B class card.

I am still a B class but I was told I have M class skills in field courses.

This is going to be a diary to train me to go all the way up to the top of the game.

I love learning. I am currently a student at a University, I am exited to see progress in the sport.

My schedule right now is minimum of 30 min dry-fire session a day, live fire training on Wednesdays, matches every weekend.

My goal is to get GM card in 2015, and attending Nationals 2016.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's up Kim! Looking forward to watching you put on a show this year!

Kim, I'll second this sentiment, I've been impressed by what I've seen last year and looking forward to watching you improve this year. (I just hope my eyes can track you fast enough :roflol: )

post-56380-0-80452900-1421299523_thumb.j

Edited by Bkreutz

Thank you everyone for your interest!!

I shot a classifier Baseball Standards.

First run was 38 points.

last run ended with 86 points.

Best run was 96 pnts.

I am not consistently firing the 6th shot for week hand string and 3 reload 3.

It seems like 1.6 draw on week hand should be down to 1.5 and shoot .5 splits to make 4.5 seconds limit.

I was consistently drawing at around 1.65 to 1.7. splits were around .6

On 3 reload 3, first shot around 1.35, reloading time around 1.5 and splits around .45.

I definitely need to cut down my reload time.

Free style and strong hand became much easier. I am able to shoot all A's in time.

However, High hit factor is 120 pnts. I need to work one it more.

Note: 1) On week hand draw, I found getting a consistent grip with my strong hand is important to get a good transfer to the left hand.

2) I experienced the grip was better, sight is aligned well, when I transfer my gun closer to my body.

Practice: week hand draw and reloading.

pin pnt : get sight picture sooner ( get good grip )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovrsWas54W4&feature=youtu.be

I got my Accued CZ back from CZ custom.

While I was practicing subsecond reloads, my weekhand middle finger got caught in between the magwell and the mag.

I cut my finger and couldn't practice anymore.

However I went to practice match, shot the first stage with my stronghand.

Second stage I shot had 2 C's and 1 B. rest all A's. It was a good run.

3rd stage, I was fast, but failed to call shots. result was not so good. dropped many points.

I didn't prepare for the 3rd stage. I was talking with ppl.

Stage visualization is more important than I thought.

Now I know stage programming is crucial.

I hope I don't hurt my self from dry firing.

Hate to be not being able to shoot.

I shot Glock challenge at Skagit range.

points were 496/500.

dropped a few points.

I feel I need more visual patience.

I felt good on strong hand only shooting, high grip fast splits.

My stance is very similar to Nils Jonasson now, Center of gravity forward.

Do I need that aggressive forward stance for production as well?

I found my CZ rear sight was broken. I am going into DF mode for awhile.

In DF today, working on transitions using Blake drill, I found my sights align better when my grip is even higher.

I found putting my thumb and index finger on the bore line and simply point those on the target. Interestingly sights align perfectly.

Now I wanna figure out how to do it with index finger on the trigger.

Once sights are aligned, transition was much easier.

I shot STI executive model at Hotshot league at Skagit range.

score was 500/500 with 36 X's. It was the top score.

It felt very good how the gun was coming to the same spot after shot's fired.

I wish I can keep it more. However, selling it for the future.

Today in DF, I felt more consistent when I drew, the sight was more aligned.

One thing changed in my draw was a better index point on the gun, index finger on the bore line.

Even though my index finger was on the trigger, I felt like the index finger was still pointing at the target.

My support hand was also had an index point on my index finger when it meets the trigger guard and strong hand index finger.

My reload was more consistent as well.

I want to work on sight alignment after reload.

My left forearm is very tired from squeezing the gun from DF

Edited by hwansikcjswo

I shot another Hotshot this week. Shot 491/500

I didn't take the time but shot USPSA mode. It was pretty good score even though I shot fast.

This weekend at Custer, Classifier match is waiting for me.

4 stages with 2 trun n draw, surrender draw.

I hurt my shoulder muscle while practicing so hard.

It sucks I can't push hard in practice for awhile.

But I used a patch on my shoulder and DFed today.

50% of the classifier stg I tried in DF was GM scores.

I need to make sure I get a good grip and reload well in classifiers.

Now, Getting a GM card sound so easy if I shoot at a match like a practice.

I am discouraged but super motivated from not being able to attend many major matches that I planned this year.

CUZ IM GETTING MARRIED.

2016, I will go to Area matches, Nationals, etc.

I will be ready for it this year.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

I went to the range and practiced classifiers.

Paper Posppers, Down the middle, and Fluffy's Regenge 2.

I shot many GM level shooting.

My gun stopped cycling after firing a couple hundrd rnds.

I think it's not broken in yet from getting it accued

I felt good on calling my shots today.

It felt very different hearing beep sound outdoor. I should do rxn time drill outdoor next time.

I missed my reload many times. Should I pull the gun in toward my body more?

I happened to meet somebody chronoing, and he let me use it.

Bayou(BBI) 147gr HP38 3.30gr 1.135 135pf All A's @ 30yrds Classic target

This is the load I am using.

I bought 3500 rnds of 125gr BBI. Cuz cheaper. I need wisdom on saving money but shoot more.

The answer is? Dryfire, get sponsorship, make money, etc.

I have a classifier match tmr. I am currently B class. I don't know what classification I will get after tmr. but to be honest, I don't care what my class is.

I just want to learn how to shoot at my current level of skill. Not over trying, but trusting.

Practice vid :

This stuff is so much Fun! I love seeing progress.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

I just came back from Classifier match.

I shot 100% on Fluffy's Regenge 2.

Other classifiers, I had mistakes.

I learned I need to be relaxed in order to make the reload and good transitions.

I was exited to shoot 100% classifier for the first time.

It has been only 7 months since I shot the first USPSA match.

Dryfiring improved my shooting skill a lot.

On Down the middle, I felt my support hand was no proper. I shot a mike, very tight one though, on 3rd target. I felt good on the first shot.

On Paper Posppers, I was really tense, shot two C's on right target and reload was bad. Also, I suspect the mag not falling of with me not letting the mag go out of the well before I twist it toward the mag pouch.

I will work on being relaxed and letting the mag coming out of the well.

I will experiment the most efficient way to take the mag out.

Maybe one of those tactical flip right left to throuw the mag out?

The match vid.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

Kim, Looks like you are working hard toward your goals. Good luck. My suggestion would be to take the camera off your head and stick it on a tripod. I think you'll get a lot more value, and possibly a lot more advice watching your whole body during your shooting. This allows analysis of all aspects of your movements instead of just what we see of your arms.

great shooting and great improvement. One small tip. Watch your left hand when you are doing ULASC and re-holstering. You swept your hand at least once in the vids I watched on youtube and a couple of other times it looks like a sweep too or very close. It was close as you reach to rack the slide (why not just rack it with the back? you are not on the clock in ULASC, no need to hurry) and also close as you were bringing the gun back towards the holster. nothing to do with your shooting but it would suck to get DQ for sweeping during ULASC or even worse hurt yourself.

Kim, Looks like you are working hard toward your goals. Good luck. My suggestion would be to take the camera off your head and stick it on a tripod. I think you'll get a lot more value, and possibly a lot more advice watching your whole body during your shooting. This allows analysis of all aspects of your movements instead of just what we see of your arms.

Thank you! I will try them on my next practice.

great shooting and great improvement. One small tip. Watch your left hand when you are doing ULASC and re-holstering. You swept your hand at least once in the vids I watched on youtube and a couple of other times it looks like a sweep too or very close. It was close as you reach to rack the slide (why not just rack it with the back? you are not on the clock in ULASC, no need to hurry) and also close as you were bringing the gun back towards the holster. nothing to do with your shooting but it would suck to get DQ for sweeping during ULASC or even worse hurt yourself.

Thank you for the point out! I now notice what you are talking about.

I don't know much rules. But good to know DQ materials I have.

I will try Eric Grauffel ULASC method hahaha.

LF today about an hour.

I found 124gr and 147gr doesn't really have difference in terms of split times. Interesting results.

I did 2 @ 25 drill, it I could easily shoot under 2 sec.

I figured my 2nd shot at 25 yrds was occasionally hitting low C. I think It was a matter of visual patience. It was fixed by shooting .05 second slower. hahaha another interesting result. so my splits at 25 yrd went .4 from .45 ish with both A's.

Can I shoot .4 splits at 25 if I improve my grip? grip to prevent nosedive?

In DF today, I practiced unloaded & holstered draw. I felt the key is nailing the load and support hand.

With regular hands at side draw practice, I felt so good to discover new feeling on my support had. Which is using my support hand index finger to accelerate the draw. I found some tip pnts watching Eric & Rob's draw process.

Match at Puyallup went very interesting.

I've got a squib at a match for the first time. It was a stg I am really good at, basically 25 yrds El prez. On the second shot, squib resulted me to have 5 points total score. I was very sad that the stg ended that way, but I was happy that the first and only shot was an A.

The Classifier was Fluffy's revenge 2 again. I shot it in 3.34 sec with 1 C and 1 D. Faster than the last time but not all A's.

I had hard time calling my shots. I was very tired from helping my fiance moving and lack of sleep with caffeine abuse.

Because I sucked at the match, as a result, I received a 500 Rainier ballistic gift certificate.

It was worth 2.5 hrs of driving.

I need to work on shooting Steel targets.