Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 Brownells Rockcastle Pro Am 3 Gun Chamiopship - Official

I'm working on the flasher visibility problem. I bought severay different colors of paint to try next week. I've used white with dark backer at our home range with limited success. When the light varies sometimes they are highly visible and sometimes wash out. It depends on the light/shade. Orange works fine for some but not others so a better option is prefered. I'll keep you posted. Anybody have any thoughts?

Try bright yellow with a dark background.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I missing something? Aren't we all shooting optics at this match? Are we just worrying about the 8% of shooters that are color blind?

If so id recommend the same crappy target presentations as the other matches so the colorly challenged shooters get more practice. ?

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I've never ran across a optic that cured my color blindness. That would be awesome though. If your not colorblind you can see the target distinctively no matter what color it is, but for someone who is colorblind it completely blends it in with the background depending on the colors making it camouflaged. It's like trying to find a trained sniper in a ghillie suit out at 1000 yrds in the forest. I just can't see the target.

I have found a light blue works well . Red/green color blind usually see the light blue well and to the non-color blind, the blue shade stands out in the green/brown of the out doors. The Krylon sea foam has been a good shade. Haven't tried it for long range, but it may help.

Paul : -)#

I've never ran across a optic that cured my color blindness. That would be awesome though. If your not colorblind you can see the target distinctively no matter what color it is, but for someone who is colorblind it completely blends it in with the background depending on the colors making it camouflaged. It's like trying to find a trained sniper in a ghillie suit out at 1000 yrds in the forest. I just can't see the target.

Time for a Thermal sight.

If they made a Thermal sight that worked like the Predator movie (switching between modes) maybe...

The colorblind issue is a big one, and unfortunately the problem is that even with a really high dollar scope, colorblind is colorblind, and to quote an old adage, you cannot hit what you cannot see. Since I am not colorblind, I never thought of this problem, but I recently found out a good friend is, so now it is "on my Radar."

Since the targets are going to become the same lead gray anyway, what about using a large yellow backer and gray or black target paint? Yellow and light blue seem to be the two colors that the internet thinks are the most visible...

Edited by barrysuperhawk

The MO State 3 gun steel had some of the best target presentation I have seen. Yellow backers, black/eventually grey steel. Not just for flashers, auto poppers and speed steel as well. A light/dark contrast.

The MO State 3 gun steel had some of the best target presentation I have seen. Yellow backers, black/eventually grey steel. Not just for flashers, auto poppers and speed steel as well. A light/dark contrast.

I have to agree.......that's been the best target presentation I've seen to date.

What did they use for yellow backers?

Well if nothing else, most any convenience store would be more than happy to give you their left over or old plastic nudo board advertisement signs, and then a little bit of the Krylon Fusion for plastic paint

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Stupid phone..

What I was trying to post was that if you are looking to pick up a lot of that stuff (the plastic cardboard), most every convenience store advertisement sign (soda, cigs, etc) is printed on that, and many stores swap out their signs weekly. I have not found a C-Store yet that wouldn't happily give me the old signs, especially if I was johnny on the spot to pick them up when they were doing their change out.

Back when I was running 3 gun matches, I had about 20 full size targets cut out of the stuff and painted white for use as waterproof no-shoots.

Edited by barrysuperhawk

Gary, find a business that makes signs for realtors...then ask them about the old signs. I got about 2 dozen large (corregated plastic/cardboard) signs for about $10...some free, then cut and painted them for use.

Any chance of getting the individual stage round counts ?

I'll post the stages here this wieek.

OK...so where are they Gary...how we gonna dream about them if we can't see them.