Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone had this 1911 malfunction?

aXXman

I was all ready to do my first IPSC style match at a local gun club here in Oregon, but the people at the indoor range where I practice told me the spring in my used Colt 1991 was way too weak. I am shooting 230 gr hardball, so I just ordered a Wolff 16# spring. I got the spring in the mail along with 4 new 10 rd. Wilson combat mags from Brownells. I got the stuff the day before my match and I decided that I should just pass on the match until I had at least tried out my new setup.

This was a good decision, since at least four times when the slide locked open, the slide release was pushed out about 1/16 of and inch or so, jamming the slide. It was pretty hard to get it back together right without taking the tension off of the recoil spring and reinserting the slide release. It seemed like it was getting better as I shot (only 150 rds). I am hoping that it will work itself out by shooting it. Has anyone else ever run into this?

-Shawn

since you replaced the recoil spring and the problem still occurs, its probably not that.

look at the slide stop pin, it should have a detent for the plunger to go..it may be full of crap, or not cut deep enough from the factory.

also check and see if the plunger for the thumb safety and slide stop pin are clean and working.

there may be debris in the plunger tube causing the plunger to stick back.

the last thing i can think of, and maybe the most critical, take the slide barrel assembly off the gun, insert the slide stop pin, look for any movement..there should be very little.

if there is any movement replace part with a good quality part(sti comes to mind)

gun problems like this seldom shoot themselves away..

the most important thing to winning matches is having a gun that works..

you can then focus on getting better, not better equipment.

I have seen slide stops work themselves out, normally this is a result of a bad plunger spring or pin, a loose plunger tube, dirt/binding the pin/spring in the punger tube, a bad slide stop and even placement of digits on the slide stop while shooting (you a lefty?).

Diagnosing the cause may take some time but repairing the problem is a MUST if you plan to continue using this 1911 for the "Games".

There are MANY well know GS that hit these boards and they may have some additional info/areas for you to begin your quest of repair.

GL

I am a righty, so I know I am not pushing it out when I shoot.

It seemed to get easier to put the thing back in during my session (maybe I just got better at it), and I was doing some shoot 1, reload, shoot 1 drills and it didn't happen as often. I will check out the plunger tube when I get home and clean it up. I don't know how to take that apart, so I guess I need to do some searching.

To get the plunger out, remove the thumb safety. to remove the safety unload, cock, then wiggle the safety out, it is retained by the other end of the plunger. Once the safety is out you can remove the slide lock and push the plunger and spring out the safety end. inspect the slide lock for bent, or inside check to see if rounds are hitting it in the mag. Then look at the detent when plunger hits to see if it is really lining up right. Don't make the detent hole to deep or your slide won't lock back when your empty. Pipe cleaner works good to clean the area.

Depending on the gun you could have a loose plunger tube. See if it wiggles any when you grab it with a pliers. Some have fixed plunger tubes.

I had this problem with a Springfield for years before I finally realized what the problem was. In fact, another guy in my squad at a match was shooting a Springfield and had multiple jams. His brother realized the slide stop was working its way out. When I checked mine later, it was the same thing. I replaced it with a slide stop from an old Colt and the problems went away.

I don't know HOW it was working its way out, but it was. Changing the part fixed it, so it wasn't worth worrying over it anymore.

If it only does it with the new mags it is probley the followers on the new mags not haveing enough recess inside the lip that engages the slide stop & is pushing the stop out. Either take a small amount off the slide stop or dremil the recess in futher,

Also had this problem in my SS before. And it was because of my trigger finger placement on the reload. Feeling the nub (slide stop pin sticking out) on the right side of the frame makes for a wonderful "reminder" that my finger is out of the trigger guard. <_<

Cured the problem by drilling a deeper notch to engage the plunger pin. Btw, the smith fashioned the notch like a teardrop shape (pointing up). That way the mag follwer will have no trouble pushing the slide stop up to lock back the slide. And at the same time, make it harder for the pin to be pushed out from the side. ;)

Shawn,

Man, you should've come to the match (I'm assuming Four Corners)! I usually have my Box O’ Parts and enough tools to keep a 1911 going! If we couldn’t get it figured out (doubtful) then we could’ve shared my gun.

Listen to Benny! He be plenty smart fella. ;)

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after two weeks of avoiding the range and denial, and some advice from Run n Gun about a week ago, I finally took my 1911 (and my file...) out to either fix my mags, ruin my slide stop or something even if it was wrong.

I first two of the four that I had worked without a problem, but the third one was showing the problem somewhat mildly. I did a little filing and that one never had a problem again.

The last was was doing it horribly, and consistently, pushing it out 1/8" and locking the slide over the small notch instead of where it should have on the last shot. I could not just push it back in, and had to take out my recoil spring to get it back together. I noticed that there was a burr on the slide stop (maybe from this jamming), and smoothed it out a bit, and took a bit off the inside edge. Then I filed quite a bit off part of the follower that pushes up the slide stop and it ran fine after that.

I hate the idea of whittling on my gun, since I am not a gunsmith and don't want an "idiot crafted" gun, but the thing works now anyway.

Thanks a lot to everyone who posted, especially Benny Hill for the solution I finally went with, and Run and Gun for showing me how the thing worked, as well as telling me that you pretty much have to do some tuning on stuff like this.

I am going to try the bowling pin shoot tomorrow shoot at Four Corners Rod and Gun Club in Salem, OR. Hopefully, I won't embarrass myself too badly.

-Shawn