Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not for Competition Division?

Rob Tompkins

Talk about a catch 22. IDPA is completely missing the boat and covering it up with BS. Their excuse for for forming the Concealed Carry Div was that the shorter guns can't compete with other legal guns. Then why would you carry them for God's sake? I guess you enjoy the possibility of defending yourself with an inferior weapon.

It was a cheap excuse not to allow an optics division.. What did they say...not many people shot optics in NFC. Why do they think anyone would be interested in shooting in NFC? They would not. People want to compete and when they try NFC they really are not. When combined scores show some NFC shooter beating everybody you get all the complaining you see on this thread.

IDPA is stuck in the dark ages because the people with power to influence to organization are stuck in the dark ages. "None of this new crap for me! I defend myself with a cap and ball pistol like the real men pirates did. I'm to darn set in my ways to learn anything! It could cost people $1000 to put a red dot on their gun!" Well la-de-da, nobody was forcing you to do that. Now some guy comes along and actually shoots NFC and beats your pants off and you don't like that either.

CCD is nothing but a cop out division for people who can't or don't want to compete. You're trying to tell me that you deliberately carry a weapon that IDPA has data to prove is inferior in time and accuracy and usually holds fewer rounds? Nonsense.

It's a shame that we failed to attract some very competitive USPSA shooters by adopting an optics division. The excuses are nonsense and leave us behind. If the rules are really frozen for 2 years there won't be a very large need for rule books by 2017.

NFC as a place to put a few shooters with non IDPA compliant guns, OK. Shoot a few matches and get a legal division gun. I wouldn't want to see our local matches drag out another hour or two to accommodate people who have no intention of ever competing within IDPA rules. NFC is not competing. Mark

I believe Bill's intent was for carry optics, like an RMR on a G19 for example. I don't think he was trying to attrack Open Division USPSA shooters. I would much rather have IDPA allow appendix carry holsters, you know, like in the real world, and original issue hicap mags, but only one on your belt.....

So if I read those rules correctly, there is no magazine capacity limit in this division.

I can see how it is "not fair" to put the score in with other divisions. If it's going to be allowed, the MD needs to do the additional paperwork. We show our scores to family members, friends, even sponsors. We shouldn't have to tell all of them at the same time that the guy who beat you "didn't count." That's lame.

So if I read those rules correctly, there is no magazine capacity limit in this division.

I can see how it is "not fair" to put the score in with other divisions. If it's going to be allowed, the MD needs to do the additional paperwork. We show our scores to family members, friends, even sponsors. We shouldn't have to tell all of them at the same time that the guy who beat you "didn't count." That's lame.

8.2.7.5. Clubs are not required to implement this provision, and Match Directors are allowed discretion with implementation so that match quality remains high.

The smart MD will limit mag capacity to 10 rounds so the only difference is the gun & mags.

I believe Bill's intent was for carry optics, like an RMR on a G19 for example. I don't think he was trying to attrack Open Division USPSA shooters. I would much rather have IDPA allow appendix carry holsters, you know, like in the real world, and original issue hicap mags, but only one on your belt.....

I get the impression that the meaning was that USPSA Open Shooters would buy that G19 (or 34) with the RMR built into the slide. I know I would.

-ld

I get the impression that the meaning was that USPSA Open Shooters would buy that G19 (or 34) with the RMR built into the slide. I know I would.

-ld

Well, I'm leaning towards putting a dot on my S&W 640, call it Open Bug Major Division, 180 grain 357 Rem Magnums going 1,000 fps.

• 7 years later...

At my club (won't mention it here) we have a new IDPA match director the last one held a classifier every month this one holds no classifiers. I think he held one once so far this year so NFC is my only option, for a tier 3 match coming up. Now you may not need one every month but every other month you should have one, not newbie friendly at all, is this happening anywhere else? Does this seem to be an ongoing problem or just at my club?

NFC is not a division anymore. The match director may include a specialty division (SPD) and may call it NFC, but that's up to the MD and is not required. I doubt the tier 3 match will have any SPD divisions, since they're not official.

Ask the MD if he, or another club contact, will classify you before the tier 3 match. If not, complain to the Area Coordinator.

On 9/25/2022 at 10:40 AM, Wildbilltactical said:

At my club (won't mention it here) we have a new IDPA match director the last one held a classifier every month this one holds no classifiers. I think he held one once so far this year so NFC is my only option, for a tier 3 match coming up. Now you may not need one every month but every other month you should have one, not newbie friendly at all, is this happening anywhere else? Does this seem to be an ongoing problem or just at my club?

Many clubs are willing to run the 5x5 classifier after the main match.

I'd ask the MD if this was possible.

Making it clear to him that you will be helping with setup and takedown would be a point or two in your favor.

My local club is also in the camp of never does classifiers. If you want one you just need to find someone who can stay after the match and run you. 

16 hours ago, iboomer said:

NFC is not a division anymore. The match director may include a specialty division (SPD) and may call it NFC, but that's up to the MD and is not required. I doubt the tier 3 match will have any SPD divisions, since they're not official.

Ask the MD if he, or another club contact, will classify you before the tier 3 match. If not, complain to the Area Coordinator.

Last time I was at my local club they did a SPD they called NFC and you got 500 seconds added to your score if you shot that division. They don't want people HOA with illegal equipment.