Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seeing the light bars

RickyH

I shot open for several years now I'm shooting production with iron sights and I'm having a problem seeing the light bars. So should I go to a black sight being I'm having a problem seeing the light bars with a fiber optic sight or go to a smaller with fiber optic sight to give me more light bars

I'm an older shooter and found a small diameter fiber optic (.040"/1mm) and a narrow (.090") front sight helps. Green fiber optic is my favorite. I use a bluing pen to touch up the edges of the sights and keep them crisp as they wear to bright metal.

I opened up the width of my rear sight notch. This allows the use of a full sized front sight (important for older eyes), and still allows me to see the light bars on both sides. I have been making the rear sight notch width about 0.030" wider than the front sight width.

I opened up the width of my rear sight notch. This allows the use of a full sized front sight (important for older eyes), and still allows me to see the light bars on both sides. I have been making the rear sight notch width about 0.030" wider than the front sight width.

How did you do that? Did you use something freehand like a dremel or something more guided?

How did you do that? Did you use something freehand like a dremel or something more guided?

A small file with a safe edge works. I also have the option of taking it to work and milling it.

By light bars are you referring the the sight gap seen on either side of the front sight post viewed thru rear sight notch?

Yep, the light you see on each side. My thought is more light the better, it has always helped me. A 0.1 optical fiber is fine if there is sufficient width in the rear site. As far as optical fiber goes, my favorite for pistol sights is green. I just seem to pick it up better. I have tried red, pink, orange, yellow, blue and green. Green has always been the fastest to pick up on card board brown.

By light bars are you referring the the sight gap seen on either side of the front sight post viewed thru rear sight notch?

Yep, the light you see on each side. My thought is more light the better, it has always helped me. A 0.1 optical fiber is fine if there is sufficient width in the rear site. As far as optical fiber goes, my favorite for pistol sights is green. I just seem to pick it up better. I have tried red, pink, orange, yellow, blue and green. Green has always been the fastest to pick up on card board brown.

Ah, thanks.

So when you say " a 0.1 optical fiber" you are referring to a .100 wide post with a fiber. The .060 fiber is the original. Brazos uses a .040 fiber for the micro dot and manny sight. I run a .100 front with a .040 fiber. In front of a .110 rear notch. This works well for me and my sight in my aiming eye is pretty effed up from an injury.

After my injury I experimented a bit, I found that too much " light bar " as you refer was not good. Sight alignment, especially with visual acuity problems became difficult at speed. The old drill of seeing where your shots hit with the post far left, right, hi, and low ( with sight picture I mean) gave me the feedback I needed also... For example I know that at 7 yards I can misalign the sights to the extent that the post is all the way left in the notch ( in sight picture) with my current set up and I still clip the A zone. If you put a .070 post in a .140 notch that same scenario would be off the paper. Fast to pick up yes, but requiring more focus to properly align.

Hope this is useful,

Good luck amigo!

A small file with a safe edge works. I also have the option of taking it to work and milling it.

I used a small file with a safe edge. I am trying to keep my dremel urges under control.