Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 & 147grn.

TANFARM

Hope you guys don't mind me keeping this thread going!!...Red Ryder...I'm currently using a 14 lb. spring (new) in my 34... Would a reduction to 12/13 lbs make a substantial difference with a lighter load??...just trying to get smarterrer............thanks

Hope you guys don't mind me keeping this thread going!!...Red Ryder...I'm currently using a 14 lb. spring (new) in my 34... Would a reduction to 12/13 lbs make a substantial difference with a lighter load??...just trying to get smarterrer............thanks

Worth trying, I like a 12# spring with my load (3.1 N320, 147 GR Bayou).

Yes a 12lb spring can make a difference in whether or not you get failure to eject, which can cause a failure to feed. Keep an eye on how far away your brass ejects from the gun. If the brass is just rolling over your knuckles, you need to reduce the recoil spring and or increase the powder charge for a given OAL. 12 lb is the lowest recoil spring I would go. (With no ammo in the gun) slowly rack the slide and slowly guide it go back into battery. If your Glock slide hangs up and doesn't go into battery, then the recoil spring is too light. (The recoil spring fights against the striker spring for dominance) Move up to a 13lb spring then. If you have no battery problems and you continue to have FTF & FTE increase the powder charge. I do not recommend that you reduce the striker spring at this time in your career. Reducing the striker spring can cause other problems that you may not be ready to deal with, like light strikes (big headaches). Everyone's grip is different. If you have a gorilla grip then no worries. If you have a girly grip like me, then you may have to change bunny loads to kitty cat loads.

After making changes to the gun to shoot light loads, don't shoot any triple +p ammo without returning to the original springs. You want to avoid any frame battering.

Regarding this advice, what does the forum mind say?

Edited by Red Ryder

• 3 months later...

Just stumbled onto this load over the weekend; my Son had loaded these last year, and we finally got a chance to test a few from the bench rest. Started out at 25yds, and due to my poor eye sight, decided to try 20 yds. One of the best groupings I've gotten from a stock G17G4.

MG 147 CMJ

3.6gr N320

OAL: 1.142"

Mixed brass

Fed GM100M primers.

Didn't have the Chrono with me but will do more research as I really like this load!

MG14720yd_zpstpzwnxvt.jpg

CZ SP-01 Shadow

147gr B&BB RN Coated

3.0gr N320

OAL - 1.120

I was getting 134PF at 3.2gr of N320 so I bumped the load down to 3.0. That should put me right on 128-130 PF, but I haven't had a chance to chrono it yet.

Edited by JRM83

Montana Gold 147 CMJ at 1.135 over 3.7 grains of N320 with WSP primers gets me 137 PF out of my G34's.Bayou 147 FP at 1.135 over 3.4 grains of N320 with WSP or Federal SP primers gets me 135 PF out of the same guns, which have #11 ISMI springs in them.

I find the Glocks don't run well with lower PF's (I made a 120 to 125 PF load for calibration challenges that will only cycle out of the same guns half the time).

Load at your own risk, of course.

This load is my "go to" for my G17. Power Factor 131.4.

Red:

What's amazed me more than anything is the fact this is the FIRST 10-shot group fired from the G17 that's not had at least 1 flyer. Most of the time there's 2!

Montana Gold 147 CMJ at 1.135 over 3.7 grains of N320 with WSP primers gets me 137 PF out of my G34's.Bayou 147 FP at 1.135 over 3.4 grains of N320 with WSP or Federal SP primers gets me 135 PF out of the same guns, which have #11 ISMI springs in them.

I find the Glocks don't run well with lower PF's (I made a 120 to 125 PF load for calibration challenges that will only cycle out of the same guns half the time).

Load at your own risk, of course.

I'm also finding that ~135+ PF's are more accurate out of the stock Glock barrels.

Have you compared accuracy of the MG's vs the Bayous?

Sort of an update........I think I've found a respectable balance load...this for my STI Edge 9mm...

147 gun HP Xtreme...3.4 grns. of N320......1.13-1.14....."crimp" .378 ...did pretty well in recoil vs accuracy....knocked out 1000 rounds for long term testing.....thanks to all for you assistance.

On a humorous note....last year got a plastic bottle of Brians Slide Glide.......this should last me the rest of my life...I found a little goes a LONG way.......thanks Brian...lol.

• 1 month later...

Finally got a chance to run these MG's over the chrono. Think I'm going to stick with this load for matches:

MG 147 CMJ

3.6gr N320

OAL: 1.142"

Win brass

Fed GM100M primers.

(2)10 Shot Strings:

Low: 894 // 900

High: 908 //917

Avg: 900 // 908

ES: 14 // 14

SD: 5 // 5

PF: 132.30 // 133.48

MG14720ydV2_zps5au6u9sz.png

MG14720ydV3_zpsseb6whlb.png

Will definitely stick with the Bayou 135's for practice/backup as performance is very similar. The MG's offer a bit less "push" and are giving consistent results in the G17G4 which has been a huge challenge in finding the right load with the stock barrel.

Appreciate all the feedback!!

With Blue Bullets 147 RN, I get an average PF of 128 out of both my CZ-75 and VP9. The Blue Bullets are sized .356, though, so if the Bayou's are .357, you'll probably get a little more velocity for the powder.

The deviation in loads with the N320 and 147's is pretty interesting.....3.1 - 3.7 Grns.......I'm a bit suprised , all things considered , that the spread is that wide to archive minor power factor......interesting .......

Thanks you all for your input.......I think I'll pass on the 3.7 Grns.....lol

I think this thread is a good example of why there is such a "wide spread" when using N320 or any fast burning powder.

Pistol/barrel, lead vs fmj/cmj, barrel length, bullet weight, etc; all have specific requirements for desired level of PF and/or accuracy!

3.7g of N320 driving a 135 lead bullet @ 900 fps is a very soft load; especially out of a G17!

;)

I'm a bit suprised , all things considered , that the spread is that wide to achieve minor power

Many want to get higher than just minor. While some chase the power factor floor of 125, most set a minimum PF they feel "safe" to make minor in all conditions and within their extreme spread. I think 130-133 is most common. BUT some people also simply prefer higher PF. I want a PF of 133ish with 124/125 grain bullets, but for 147 grain bullets, I prefer a PF of 136-137.

• 4 months later...

Well keeping the N320 ball going.......I broke down and purchased my own chronograph.....yikes.

I'm attempting to shoot 9 mm Limited MInor.

Last month I tried my " ladder load" with the chronograph. Using Xtreme 147 HP over N320 , I loaded 3.3,3.4,3.5 and 3.6 I'm my attempt. Got some interesting results.

The 3.5 by far was the best load.....consistently 900 FPS ...lm under the impression that this will give me ample room to ensure making Power factor. The 3.4 was very inconsistent and the 3.6 was running 925 FPS pretty consistently .

So I've settled on sticking with the 3.5 load for my STI Edge........now the question...my highs and low averages were acceptable with this load ??, but I was showing a Deviation of 25 ......what is acceptable to make sure I make Minor and how can I reduce this fluxuation........I'm pretty OCD with my reloading process......

Perhaps I should have started another topic.....hope this makes sense to you really smart guys....thanks for all your help.......

Well keeping the N320 ball going.......I broke down and purchased my own chronograph.....yikes.

I'm attempting to shoot 9 mm Limited MInor.

Last month I tried my " ladder load" with the chronograph. Using Xtreme 147 HP over N320 , I loaded 3.3,3.4,3.5 and 3.6 I'm my attempt. Got some interesting results.

The 3.5 by far was the best load.....consistently 900 FPS ...lm under the impression that this will give me ample room to ensure making Power factor. The 3.4 was very inconsistent and the 3.6 was running 925 FPS pretty consistently .

So I've settled on sticking with the 3.5 load for my STI Edge........now the question...my highs and low averages were acceptable with this load ??, but I was showing a Deviation of 25 ......what is acceptable to make sure I make Minor and how can I reduce this fluxuation........I'm pretty OCD with my reloading process......

Perhaps I should have started another topic.....hope this makes sense to you really smart guys....thanks for all your help.......

Interesting with coated bullets , meet pf around 3.2-3.3 n320, no not interesting, quit normal, coated bullets build pressure less powder, than jacketed