Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cold Weather Issues with Nooks

mjl

At a recent match had a problem with Nooks losing power very quickly in the cold weather. Fully charged Nooks went from 100% to less than 20% while sitting at the registration desk for about 20 minutes. Temperature was in the low 30's. We were able to run the match using the master iPad, iPhones, and a charged up Nook we kept warm.

To address the problem for the next match, we are using a small piece of styrofoam, with a small depression hollowed out on one side in which we place a hand warmer. The styrofoam piece is then "attached" to the nook with a rubber band with the hand warmer sandwiched in between. Initial testing looks like this addresses the issue.

Any other fixes out there?

• 2 weeks later...

Ran into the same problem with a match when it was in the low 20's. Ended up syncing some extra Nooks and changed them out for the ones with low battery. Fortunately we only get 2-3 squads worth of people on these kind of match days so plenty of Nooks to go around. Also asked the scorekeepers to keep the Nook in their coat between shooters. iPads seem to far better than the Nooks in inclement weather.

What do you guys think about the iPad Mini in regards to battery life and daylight visibility?

Battery life on iPad Mini's is pretty good and should do you for a 5-6 stage club match no problem. Last year at Nats we kept ours going all day, but I also gave it a quick charge in my truck at lunch. May be a good idea for all-day matches to have external battery back-ups. My club bought some of those last year with the plug in cords for Nooks as well as iPads.

I agree that its harder to see the iPad screen in direct sunlight. If you tip it upright and use your head to block the sun its not bad. I've seen some clubs make a kydex sun shield, but I usually try to shade myself by standing behind a wall or somebody really big...

The issue with Nooks vs Cold isn't really the Nook its self, but the battery within it. The Lithium Ion batteries have an optimal operating temperature when they are above freezing (32 deg F). If you allow the batteries to get below the freezing point their voltage drops significantly even if they are fully charged because its actually too cold for the chemical reaction to happen to produce the voltage.

Most non-Nook type of tablets run hot enough to keep the battery warm enough to function properly when used. But the Nooks are unique in the fact that they do not get "Hot" or even "Warm" when being used due to the very power efficient eink screen. This means that you need to keep them warm by using artificial means. Using a hand warmer is a good idea as it should provide hours of heat, usually long enough to run a match. We have had good luck with simply telling the RO's to screen saver the nook and keep it INSIDE their jacket when not in use so their body heat can keep the whole Nook warm. Or use a glove that can hold a hand warmer in a pocket in their palm and hold the nook in the palm of their hand to keep it warm while scoring.