Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suppressor recomendation wanted

Alaskapopo

Hi I just recently purchased a 16.5 inch Remington 700 that I want to get a suppressor for. I would also like to use the suppressor on my AR10 and my 5.56 rifles as well. Any good recommendations out there. I don't mind some extra weight for good suppression.

Pat

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Pat,

Check out Thunder Beast. They have a can that clicks onto a comp. Get 2-3 of the comps and move the can between them. Also the comp will take most of the superheated gas that the 1st baffle in the can gets, extending the life of the can.

jj

The SilencerCo Saker 762 is a nice one also. You can get their Saker Trifecta Muzzle Brake for all three guns (threaded 1/2X28 for the AR-15 and 5/8X24 for the .308s) which will allow you to move the one can between the three guns. The suppressor comes with one Muzzle Brake included, so you'd only need to buy two more.

Using the 7.62 can on your AR (without changing the front endcap) only causes it to be 2 decibels louder than it would be if it were a dedicated 5.56 can. Changing the endcap gets those 2 dBs under control.

Edited by Braxton1

I have the QD 7.62 YHM Ti Phantom and have been pleased with it so far. Like some of the others, it simply attaches to a flash hider or brake that is available in mutiple thread sizes to work with various caliber barrels.

For the money the SWR Specwar 7.62 is hard to beat and their warranty is 2nd to none. I use mine on 5.56, 300 BO, .308 nd 6.5 creedmoor with the quick connects. Silencershop did a test using the 7.62 specwar on a 5.56 and compared it to their 5.56 specwar..the 7.62 was about 1db quiter here is the link

I also like the specs for the saker. I don't have one yet but it's what I've mentally settled on, for what that's worth.

Mainly because you aren't limited to brake attach because you can change the interface cap. So you can run brakes on the ar's and direct attach on the bolt action. They even even have caps to run their can on aac's 51t brake.

To me it just seems like the can will have more long term flexibility, as I consider a can purchase a forever thing and can't see myself owning more than one for centerfire rifles.

+1 for the Specwar 762. I love mine and it fits the multi purpose description you gave perfectly. If you are going to use the can on an SBR or at very high rates of fire I would stay away from titanium. I love Thunder Beast suppressors for precision work but they really aren't designed to handle the abuse an SBR or many consecutive rapid fire strings put them through.

Hi I just recently purchased a 16.5 inch Remington 700 that I want to get a suppressor for. I would also like to use the suppressor on my AR10 and my 5.56 rifles as well. Any good recommendations out there. I don't mind some extra weight for good suppression.

Pat

you didn't mention what caliber, so i'm assuming it's 308/223, but if it's a magnum of some flavor, please be aware that while the cans above are excellent, the mfgs may have some serious safety warnings about shooting on short barrels. muzzle pressure is way higher on a 16" bbl than a 20 or 26" bbl and well-built, well-regarded cans have asploded on short barrels

Are you wanting a quick detach or thread on can? If you want qd I'm a big fan of my Silencerco Specwar 7.62. Price is good and rated for way more gun than anything in my safe. Heavy and long are the downside. Just got a new email today that Silencerco has a new model, the Omega, that looks like it may be my second can. I have yet to see a can from any company I didn't like, just need to be sure before what you want out of it.

I have dedicated Templar Tactical on my 24" 308 bolt and 20" 223 AR. Both thread on since they are for longer ranges. They are titanium models and very light.

I just tried the 223 can on my 16" and was very impressed with the suppression.

With both cans, the point of impact shift was minimal and 100% repeatable. QD may not produce the same repeatable POI.

Trust is the only way to go in my opinion....not to mention ATF is turning them around in about 4 months now. With a trust you do not have to have the Chief LEO sign off, no photo or finger prints required. I did a SBR (which is online), filled out the forms, uploaded copy of trust and paid with VISA....had approval in 30 days....

I run and AAC on my AR style rifles and really like it. Their brake seems to work pretty nice when not running with the can. This can will also fit on the 223 brake. But if you have both 223 and 308 cans you need to be careful because the 223 will also fit on the 308 brake.

I run a Thunder Beast 30BA on my AE 308 bolt. Very accurate combo. I have never shoot the gun without it so i don't know the impact difference with it on compared to off. With the can and factory match ammo it will shoot one hole groups.

Lots of suggestions. I am sure you will be happy with what ever you buy.

Edited by dstroyed

Get the trust. My biggest reason, my wife is OK if she's the only one in the car/home with the NFA item and has to deal with LEO.

This in my opinion is the real reason to have a trust. The leo/fingerprint/picture as an individual is important some places where local politics make it almost impossible to get a sign off. The ability to have multiple people able to use the item makes it a simple decision.

I have a trust just for the reason that if something happens to me it's not going to be as much of a PIA for my wife to deal with these items. Also, I'm in South Texas and noboby will give you a CLEO sig.

As for cans, I run the AAC 7.62 SDN-6 on fighting rifles. For a precision rifle I would recommend Thunder Beast hands down.

You are in Texas, give the guys at Silensor Shop a call. Dave, owner, takes his time to educate is customers. Plus they have the best prices in Texas. I have bought 6 cans from them over the years. Very happy and easy to deal with.

Also. POI will shift. Anyone that tells you that it doesn't really doesn't understand shooting precision rifles.

It all has to do with harmonics. Long light barrels have the greatest POI change. Heavy short barrels are less likely to change.

Putting a can on your rifle is similar to putting a brick on top of the muzzel. It changes the harmonics and will almost always shoot low from your previous non-suppressed zero.

This is the basic but to really look at why, you have to look at all the variables (barrel length, barrel conture, ammo, length and weight of the can)

POI may or may not shift depending on the can/barrel combination. My 7wsm has no shift between when it's braked and when I screw on my Thunderbeast 30PS, but is around .5mil with the SilencerCo Specwar. I know a few guys that have no POI shift with their SilencerCo Harvesters as well. For the most part though, I'd agree with what you've said.

I have dedicated Templar Tactical on my 24" 308 bolt and 20" 223 AR. Both thread on since they are for longer ranges. They are titanium models and very light.

I just tried the 223 can on my 16" and was very impressed with the suppression.

With both cans, the point of impact shift was minimal and 100% repeatable. QD may not produce the same repeatable POI.

I have two Templars, the short Nemesis30 with the QD setup and a direct thread Archangel, there's no difference in accuracy or POI shift. I have two more of Curtis's cans coming