Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 XL

I just ordered a 650 plus all the fixings to load 40 S&W. Can't wait till it gets here!! Going from a RCBS single stage to the 650. It's going to be awesome to start punching out large batches of 40, 556, and 45. My table is all ready!! Thanks Brian!!

I just ordered a 650 plus all the fixings to load 40 S&W. Can't wait till it gets here!! Going from a RCBS single stage to the 650. It's going to be awesome to start punching out large batches of 40, 556, and 45. My table is all ready!! Thanks Brian!!

Thank you Tom!

The wait is killing me. Just got 5000 primers in, got cases, bullets, and powder. ready to go. Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know my progress when it gets here. Going to start with 40 for a awhile, then try different calibers. I really want to load 556 too, but it seams there is a lot of steps and issues with reloading 556. Is is better to start with non military brass to avoid all the primer issues??

Thanks,

The wait is killing me. Just got 5000 primers in, got cases, bullets, and powder. ready to go. Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know my progress when it gets here. Going to start with 40 for a awhile, then try different calibers. I really want to load 556 too, but it seams there is a lot of steps and issues with reloading 556. Is is better to start with non military brass to avoid all the primer issues??

Thanks,

Hornady makes a decent manual primer pocket trimmer for cheap. Worth your while unless doing large quantities of brass, then it gets old quick.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/804809/hornady-primer-pocket-reamer-package?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Or you can just buy the tips, like I did, and use a drill on low speed. ;)

I have tried manual, drill and Dillon super swage....it gets old real quick indeed. I don't understand how some folks do it by hand....i guess they enjoy the process :goof:

1050 is a MUST if you are dealing with crimped brass.

Not to derail the subject, but I am curious if this really speeds up the 650 reloading? I find that if I pull the handle any faster then the time it takes for me pick up a bullet, schtuff starts going wrong.. in a hurry.

Not to derail the subject, but I am curious if this really speeds up the 650 reloading? I find that if I pull the handle any faster then the time it takes for me pick up a bullet, schtuff starts going wrong.. in a hurry.

First of all, please make sure you finish the stroke. Bullet feeder any day!

Can people quantify and expound more on their answers? Maybe something like how much faster it is and such?

I guess one liners are rarely helpful.

I can load 100 rounds in 5 minutes going easy with a bullet feeder. Previously likely double.

How long does it take you pull the handle and seat a bullet vs just pulling the handle. Do it 10 times and multiply by the amount you would reload in a session to compare.

Can people quantify and expound more on their answers? Maybe something like how much faster it is and such?

I guess one liners are rarely helpful.

My reply was clear. Make sure to finish the stroke.....I don't matter the speed.

I used to think the same thing... is it really faster than placing bullet with my hand. After loading my first hundred rounds with Mr. Bulletfeeder I can say "It's a game changer". Hard to quantify but it's truly MUCH faster.

The added speed is nice but probably the biggest change is that each bullet is perfectly placed into each case. All bullets go in straight and at the same depth. I'm jumping to the conclusion that the consistency of bullet placement creates more consistent ammo but it's seem like a reasonable assumption.

Here's a video I made shortly after getting my bulletfeeder. I wasn't going particularly fast in this video but you'll get the idea.