Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New member, New Springfield

JeffCSR

Hello, I just joined but have visited here quite a few times.

I have a Springfield Hi-Cap and want to start simple. I'd like to get the best performing magazines for my gun. I have Mec-Gar 13rdrs but am interested about the 'STI for Para' mags. What advantages do they have over the Para/Mec-Gar mags?

Eventually I'll need an ambi but it looks like Kings is the only answer, there is no groove on the right side frame for a normal ambi-safety.

Since you have Mec-Gar 13rds, it sounds like you have the .45 and not the .40, right?

The advantage of the STI for Para mags is that they are "pointier" and may be more amenable to faster reloads because of that. They're also probably show better QA/QC than Para's own stuff.

The downside is that you give up too many rounds over the Para tubes. In .45, a standard 140mm STI mag will only hold 14 rounds. I've heard of 15 and maybe sixteen, but that's the limit. Using a Para-Ordnance tubes and a Gram basepad kit, you get 18 in the tube without any trouble.

So if I were you, I'd go with Para-Ordnance mags for your SA wide body.

Like Rhino said, the STI for Para is narrower at the top, and mimics the STI stacking pattern instead of the Para - fewer rounds at the top.

The benefit of these mags is sturdier construction, better quality, and better reliability for Para in 40cal and 38super. At the cost of a few rounds.

Your 45cal needs all the rounds you can squeeze in a mag. For Limited you MUST have a bare minimum of 16 or you're not playing the same game. 17 or 18 give you some make-up shots.

Welcome to the Forums!

If you look around, you might find some .45 STI para tubes "new old stock" or used ones, some vendors maybe have some old ones left over?

Or, there used to be several different extended base pads for stock Para tubes (Grams being one) that will get you to 18 rounds of .45, more than enough.

http://www.gramsengineering.com/

Or shoot Limited-10, and use the mags you have with 10 rounds, save money! :P

Well, it's a better time to do it now than it was from 1994 until last year!

;)

Also ... when you get a magwell, I recommend the S&A full magwell. You have to have the frame shortened a bit by a gunsmith, but once it's installed and blended, it leaves plenty of room for just about any brand of basepad.

I should be getting my package from Brownells in the next day or so, I ordered one each of the CPMI +1 base pads and an Arrendondo Hi-Cap kit. As soon as I get them and try them out I'll let you all know how they fit my Mec-Gar Para mags.

The Arrendondo kit seems promising, it should give me a 15 or 16 round capacity.

I got my basepads and the +1 CPMI fits fine and I can load 14 rounds into my 13 round MecGar, though it's a struggle. Without this mag pad it is next to impossible to get 13 in the mag.

The Arrendondo kit fits the mag but won't let it slide in far enough to lock the mag catch plus I can't seem to load more than 12 rounds into it :huh:

Any trick to making the Arrendondo kit work?

Guest Larry Cazes

Please let us know how the MecGar mags work out. After spending way too long working with Para mags, I gave up on them. The steel is thin and soft and the internal finish is terrible on the newer production runs. Even though you will loose some capacity, if I still had the patience I would go with STI for Para tubes and dawson pads and never look back. STI discontinued them in 2004, but I have seen quite a few available used. My $.02

• 3 months later...

I never got the Arrendondo kit to fit, evidently Mec-Gar mags are just a tad too short to use with these. I have had zero problems with my CPMI +1 mag pad. Instead of getting set up with extra- capacity mags I chose to tune my pistol for better accuracy first....

I'll work on the extra-cap mags after I get the gun where I want it.

To date the stock Mec-Gar mags run great! I highly recommend them for carry.

Hello, I just joined but have visited here quite a few times.

I have a Springfield Hi-Cap and want to start simple. I'd like to get the best performing magazines for my gun. I have Mec-Gar 13rdrs but am interested about the 'STI for Para' mags. What advantages do they have over the Para/Mec-Gar mags?

Eventually I'll need an ambi but it looks like Kings is the only answer, there is no groove on the right side frame for a normal ambi-safety.

Congrats on the New gun and coming to the right place for all you info needs.

I do not have a springer high cap 45 , but I do own para 45 and have been shooting

it for several years.. you stated that you bought the Arrendondo and you could not get

it too work with a magwell ?? what magwell are you shooting with.?

this being asked, I have used the cmpi pads with the arrendondo follower and spring

and have had great results, but the arr/pad will not work with either of my S&A magwell

or my Dawson ice, other note the Stock + pads from para run great in my S&A magwell

but not in the ICE,

Now I can tell you from running my 40 with Dawson ICE and DP pads , that I have had great luck with them. side note to this is that this pads work great in the S&A

magwell too,

So now you have another choice to look at.. and brownells now carries the

Dawson para pads too,

Good luck in your search... BTW I have seen several 45 mags on auction at gunbroker and Auction Arms...

SuperComp9 `;}~

Thanks for the tip (your P.M.) SuperComp9.

Right now I have no Magwell, but I will get one eventually. All the guys at 1911Forum are using the S/A magwell and it looks good... I'll go with that one when I scroung up enough nickels.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the arredondo kits to work in meggar mags, deal is use the arredondo pad and follower with para spring, then to keep the pad in place drill a small set screw through the pad into the mag body ( only a real small screw) :blink: , this will hold 15 rounds and functions good in my springfield 45. Once you get a magwell you'll have to shave along top and down the sides to get to fit most, i've got a dawson and opened up the magwell a bit more and blended into pistol from, dremer tools are the best thing made, you'll have to do the same with a dawson base pad, don't know about grams I'm still waiting on mine, good luck :)