Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is everything training?

stumpyv8

So, quick back story

I'm not a mechanic by trade but appear to have spent the last 15 years working on cars. Started as a semi skilled spanner monkey, managed the company, bought the company out, now employ people to get it done for me. Sounds good. Mainly it is, I get to dictate what work I do & what time I take off. Occasionally the work load dictates that I need to get back on the tools.

None of that is important.

Today, working as hard as I can, doing a job that is pretty repetative I realise something.

My mind is blank. I'm flat out doing a technically skilled job, I'm accurate in my movements, I'm observing things as they happen & reacting to it in the correct way.

I have been as productive as I ever was when I was on the tools full time & made no mistakes (QC thought I was awesome)

Apparently there are similarities between being fluent at your job & shooting.

Now all I have to do is translate that to match day.........

Enough conscious repetition of a task will result in a subconscious action. My biggest improvements happened when I just focused on trying to be more consistent with the basics/fundamentals of shooting. In matches just stick with what you know and just shoot the A's. This is what works for me your mileage may vary.

• 4 weeks later...

So, quick back story

I'm not a mechanic by trade but appear to have spent the last 15 years working on cars. Started as a semi skilled spanner monkey, managed the company, bought the company out, now employ people to get it done for me. Sounds good. Mainly it is, I get to dictate what work I do & what time I take off. Occasionally the work load dictates that I need to get back on the tools.

None of that is important.

Today, working as hard as I can, doing a job that is pretty repetative I realise something.

My mind is blank. I'm flat out doing a technically skilled job, I'm accurate in my movements, I'm observing things as they happen & reacting to it in the correct way.

I have been as productive as I ever was when I was on the tools full time & made no mistakes (QC thought I was awesome)

Apparently there are similarities between being fluent at your job & shooting.

Now all I have to do is translate that to match day.........

Nice realization! Just be fully attentive, without trying to or caring about paying attention.

Back in the early 80's when TGO and I got into motorcycle roadracing - and excelled at the sport fairly quickly. We were talking about that, and said something to the effect of - "We do the same thing on the race track as we do on the range."

A couple key qualities to fully understand and integrate...

You must have enough overall experience (training and competing) to where you have no doubts about every single thing you will do. Which will result in no trying, both gross and subtle, whatsoever.

However natural if feels, you cannot allow your self to rush.

this all sounds like good advise. I trained for over thirteen years with a large swat team and was in a very active canine unit for twenty eight years. there were many days while training, that I had something on my mind that most assuredly took away from that day for one reason or another. family/kids ect. ect. I guess my point is addressing the mental focus in a way that one can separate that or do what's required to free yourself up, to allow yourself a good practice session or match.

Edited by Canine582