Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moly Coated Bullet heads are just too dirty for my fiber optic front s

Street Survival

Hey Guys,

I'm shooting these reloaded 200grn, Moly Coated, SWC 45acp rounds loaded with Unique Gunpowder through my M&P 45 and my front sight is covered in smog. Anyone know what's a better choice for bullet heads, I think the Unique is ok but I'm not sure about that either. Any help would be much appreciated. *** Thank you for your time.

You might try plated bullets for less smoke. No coating to burn off.

Unique is a good powder but its on the dirty side, IMO. Getting a different powder might be difficult right now with the shortage but I've had better luck with Solo 1000, N320, WST. E3 is not as good as the others with moly bullets but its better than unique. Its also my choice with plated bullets.

Titegroup with moly is also a bad combo for smoke.

I run a fiber front on an xdm 5.25 9mm and .40

9mm load is 124gr bayou with 3.2g titegroup

.40 major 180gr bayou with 4.6g n320

no issues at all ( no more than plated bullets) and Definatly no issues with front fiber sight.

possibly unique powder.

I've loaded a lot of lead. You need a harder led like Laser Cast and a clean powder like VV N320. It is the lube that smokes but Laser Cast seems to smoke less in my guns. I shoot the SWC's in my 1911 but find them to be a,little clunky in plastic guns because of the different ramp. How are they feeding for you? I usually load 200 gr. RN for guns other then 1911..,

Played bullets won't lead your barrel, won't have smoke issues

Lead bullets are more accurate because the lands and grooves "grab" the bullet better. Also our barrel will last much longer.

For accuracy (meaning Bullseye Level) I shoot lead, all other plated...

It's all a matter of personal choice....good luck

C

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy

You might try plated bullets for less smoke. No coating to burn off.

Unique is a good powder but its on the dirty side, IMO. Getting a different powder might be difficult right now with the shortage but I've had better luck with Solo 1000, N320, WST. E3 is not as good as the others with moly bullets but its better than unique. Its also my choice with plated bullets.

Titegroup with moly is also a bad combo for smoke.

+1...exactly

If I was to use 200grn, SWC bullets from SNS with their High Tek coating, what in your opinion would be a clean gunpowder to utilize?

Do you think I'm better off not using High Tek coated bullets???

I guess what I'm trying to say is, what type of combo bullet and gunpowder do you think is the way to go for a nice clean set up. I'm feed up of having my M&P front fiber optic sight smogged up and having a super dirty gun to clean every time I shoot it. *** Thank you for your assistance.

For me,it would be Montana Gold 200 gr RN with VV 310, 320, 330 or 340 with 310 being first choice.Just depends,on what your gun shoots best...I don't know enough about your brand bullets to comment but FMJ/plated,will beat any coated lead bullet for what you are trying to accomplish. Graf and Sons has been getting VV in on a fairly regular basis if you don't mind waiting a few weeks..C

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy

Edited by Baer45

This may be normal with the M&P 45. I have shot nothing but factory 230 grain FMJ ammo in mine and the front sight fogs almost instantly. I even removed the slide to see if there was a hole under the sight. But no.

Maybe switching to jacketed hollow points or fully plated bullets might help?

I also like Unique, but it can be dirty. Especially using lighter bullets at lower pressure.

Post up your load details for us.

You may actually be better served by moving away from moly over to poly coated or plated bullets.

Then, find a faster powder more suited to your use.

Hi Yeti,

Currently using Bear Creek, 200grn, SWC with 6.3 grains of Unique.

Not a bad load at all, but you may want to try out some different powders to get away from the sticky residue. Bullseye, Tightgroup, 231 (can be dirty too, but works better/cleaner on the higher end), maybe Clays. Depends upon what you have or can get your hands on...still spotty out there. I would look for BE & TG first. Thankfully you have options.

Some of the other guys will likely chime in some good suggestions also.

OR...just shoot up your current load, then try some sample packs of the new coated bullets.

A lot of the guys doing USPSA around me are using Ibejiheads polycoateds. It also helps that they are located in north-central NJ. It was recommended to me more than a few times to try Bullseye with them. I shot 5 yesterday (my first ever reloads) and there was a lot less smoke than from my factory WWB 230g RN rounds.

Edited by Splat

You don't need a harder bullet. Modern coated bullets should have less leading, smoke, and debris than standard lead bullets with hard lube.

Definitely try a different powder. I use Billy Bullets 200gr LSWC and American Select in my 1911 and get virtually no residue outside the barrel. I use Bear Creek 200gr lead round nose hollow base over American Select in my SW 625 and again have little residue in the barrel and no residue outside the barrel or on the front sight.

WST, Solo 1000, N-320, or even Universal will burn much cleaner than Unique and all will have less muzzle flash. Some folks even use N-310 under 200gr SWCs. Vihtavouri powders are expensive but burn very clean and meter accurately.

Chris