Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with beretta 1301

Boneyard1977

I just took my new Beretta 24 inch 1301 Comp to the range today to break it in. I'm admit tingly new to shot gunning, wanting to get into 3 gun soon. Well, I cleaned it this past weekend so it was ready to go. When I get it to the range today, I couldn't load more then two rounds into the magazine. When I tried to put a third, the shell would go up to the rim and just stop. Had to shoot with just two in the mag. What's up?

Most shotgun's (including your fine new unit) come with a plug in the magazine to limit capacity, presumably to meet the capacity limits most states have for hunting. Screw the end cap off the mag and you'll see there's still an internal cap. There's a tab in a square hole just down from the end of the tube, push that tab in and pry the cap out. You might get a face full of spring but you can get that darn fun inhibiting stick out of your tube now.

Or something along those lines, it's been a while since I went through this procedure.

Tony,

You are correct....unscrew the plug and remove the retainer.

OP: Purchase a Nordic extended tube depending on the number of rounds you want in your gun for competition. I can load 11 rounds in my 1301.....

Here we go again. Removed the rod which came with the 1301 and reinstalled the spring. Using some high quality dummy rounds that are exactly the same as a regular 2-3/4 inch shell, I am only able to get four rounds in the mag when it's supposed to hold 5. Also, when cycling and dry firing the bloody thing is jamming--many times two rounds coming down the mag and jamming the gate. Disassembled and did find a minor kink in the spring so I'm not sure if that, or the dummy loads are the culprit. I did order a Nordic +5 today which comes with a new spring. Hopefully that will cure the problem. Who knew that shotguns could be so temperamental!

How are you dropping the rounds out of the tube and onto the lifter? The little button on the lifter will drop one, pushing the back of the bolt release will drop two which will cause issues. The only way I can see the tube only holding 4 is if the follower was in upside down or like you said there was a spring binding/kinking issue or the spring isn't seating all the way into the follower. Have you live fired it since taking the plug out? I doubt you'll see any jamming or double feed issues.

Some 2-3/4 shells are longer than others by a little and when you add em up the difference can show, mine fit 5 (before I added extension) of bird shot or of the like, like the Fedral #8 rounds fine but when I'd put double odd bucks or slugs in most cases they were longer by a little and could only fit 4, my guess is this is whats happening to you, your rounds should be about 2.300-2.320 inches long, the other issue I'm not sure but I'd say the same thing as TonytheTiger, once you shoot it with live ammo your problem will disapear, especially since you fired it before without issue

Forgot to mention, I remembered that before I got my extension that the factory spring was excessivly long and when trimmed you should be able to load the longer rounds, can't remember right now how much I cut off but I'm sure you'll figure it out

Edited by MONAJI

Mine would only hold 4 rounds of Federal bulk pack. The 5th round lacked about 1/4" making it. I got a +7 tube and it holds 12 rounds just fine without trimming the spring.

I thumbed through a gun magazine at the store that had an article comparing the different semi-autos. It listed the 1301 comp as 4+1 capacity...........it also said it weighs 8 lbs and that a Versa Max weighs 8 lbs..........I think there is a little error in some of their specs.

• 5 years later...

I am in the same boat. I finally got my 1301 tactical. Pulled out the plug, but I can still only get 4 in the tube and one in the chamber. The 5th goes almost all the way, but stops short of going in fully. When I ordered it I was told it holds 6 rounds. If it's advertised as 6 round, there should be no need to trim the spring or put and extension on it. Haven't fired it yet, but kinda dissapointed I can only get 5 total in it when I was told it was 6. 

Edited by APuno

On 8/14/2020 at 6:59 PM, APuno said:

I am in the same boat. I finally got my 1301 tactical. Pulled out the plug, but I can still only get 4 in the tube and one in the chamber. The 5th goes almost all the way, but stops short of going in fully. When I ordered it I was told it holds 6 rounds. If it's advertised as 6 round, there should be no need to trim the spring or put and extension on it. Haven't fired it yet, but kinda dissapointed I can only get 5 total in it when I was told it was 6. 

Remember this is an Italian gun.  When an Italian says 8 inches, he really means 5.75 inches.

• 2 years later...

Throw a +8 on it to get you comfortably to 12 in the tube. Should give you a little cushion also. This way you can load 4 on the buzzer if there is movement before 1st shooting position... (start with 8+1 most of time outside of Open Div.)