Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Zoomy

.40 minor

I did a search and was unable to find anything that fits my situation.

I will be going to SMM 3 gun match this March and plan on using my STI limited .40 S&W. I would like to go to a lower power factor, in the 145-150 range. My gun is a custom 2011 with a 5" Schuman barrel and a 12 pound recoil spring. Here are the bullets and powders that I have.

Bullets:

Montana Gold 165 gn JHP

Zero 200 gn JFP

Powder:

VV N320

WST

Clays

What combo and OAL would get me in the power factor ball park with the softest felt recoil?

Thanks for the info guys. I'll load a few up and get the chrono out before the snow starts. Never loaded .40 minor so ounce I get a good load I'll have to shoot them at a couple of local matches just to make sure it's reliable in my gun before the 3 gun match.

Good guess. I load 180 grain BBIs over 3.7 grains of WST for minor. 1.15 to 1.17 works in our STIs.

I've been using 2.7 or 2.8 grains of either Bullseye or Red Dot with a 200 grain Blue Bullet. Accurate and gentle.

Edited by AJE

Try 3.5 gr working up to 4.0 grains of WST and see where you like it. Load to 1.18 or longer...1.200 if you can. Use the 200 gr bullets for softest recoil. 165's will feel like hot 9mm at that PF, 200's will feel sub minor at that PF.

I loaded some 200 grain Zeros with 4 grains of N320 and they chronoed 710 fps average of 3 shots. They felt soft but seemed to take forever for the cycle to complete. I then loaded Montana Gold 155 grain JHP with 4.9 grains of N320. Three shot average was 918fps.

They both had about the same power factor of 142,000. These felt snappier but hardly any muzzle flip. I liked the faster cycling with the lighter bullet.

I am going to try them at the weekly club match to see if it is reliable.

I have been using 4.8 grains of WST behind a 165 grain Xtreme plated bullet. OAL is 1.135. I get 900 - 910 fps for a PF149. The load is soft shooting and very accurate.

Try k8nd.com/documents/hl40sw.pdf lots of good starting points for minor loads. I have used this site for 9mm, 38 super and .40

Doug

Try k8nd.com/documents/hl40sw.pdf lots of good starting points for minor loads. I have used this site for 9mm, 38 super and .40

Doug

Thanks. Lot of info to digest.