Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Casefeeder crud catcher

I've had an XL650 for around a decade now. Since that time it seems my loading bench is always covered with the little cleaning media granules. Because it seems it doesn't matter how well you separate your brass after cleaning, you always end up leaving a few granules of media in the brass. So when you dump the brass into the case feeder, a little media goes along as well.

Dillon must have recognized this, and surmised it would eventually built up to the point of binding things up or otherwise causing issues. So they put a couple of small holes in the bottom of the feeder bowl. That works fine and well, as the last little bit of media works its way to the bottom of the feeder. But then it falls out the little holes and gets all over the bench.

So I finally got smart and decided to do something about it. I was thinking of using some tubing to direct the crud down into a container. But not having any tubing on hand, I went with a simpler approach. I just taped a couple of small plastic cups to the back of the case feeder under the holes. I used the little measuring cups that come with children's medicine (anyone with small kids ends up with dozens of these little things).

When they fill up I can just pull them off and dump them. I'll have to report back once I've had a chance to try them out.

So has anyone come up with a better approach?

C6A5972E-0056-4EB0-9C31-ACB846F0D417_zps

There are threads on here about it somewhere. Some use shotgun shells like you used the cups. Personally I have a small compressor in my loading room that I use a LOT when prepping brass to dump in the case feeder. I put a few scoops in a plastic shoe box and shake vigorously. Then hit it with air. Repeat until I don't see anymore corn. Then spray lube in the shoe box and shake again to spread lube. Then blow one more time. This cut my corn on the bench to nearly nothing.

I agree with an earlier post... I use wet pin cleaning system.... brass looks like new... no more crud.. my entire press stays much cleaner .. & should last a lot longer before having to rebuild it..

• 4 years later...