Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often should a CZ75 be cleaned?

Lior

Dear shooting folks,

What is the MRBC (mean rounds before cleaning) of your CZ75 pistols?

I ask because I shoot a lot and some knowledgeable people think that my gun is too fouled up and not lubed enough whenever they see it.

So far I have survived by cleaning the striker channel and extractor every 6,000 rounds or so, a field strip clean and lube every 1,000 and gunk solvent and scrubbing everything treatment every 3,000 or so rounds fired, based on 8,000 rounds fired a year.

Obviously the more the merrier and cleaning ones gun is usually a lot of fun, but how often is not enough and how often is too much?

Any inputs on this important subject would be welcome.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i once went a year and a half without cleaning shooting at least 2 matches a week. lubed it only a few times. what got me to finally clean it was the extractor broke around 23k rounds.

i shot titegroup amd zero jhp, which was a very clean combination the closed back bullet makes a big diff in terms of fouling compared to say, a moly or hardcast bullet. totally worth the exrra few bucks for a plated or jacketed bullet.

I clean mine every few thousand or so, mostly to keep an eye on parts that may be getting worn or broken. That being said its been about 3500 or so since I last cleaned it, Ive just squirted some lube on it and went to town!

I only have one hand gun that I shoot on a regular basis, so I clean it every time I shoot it. I guess I kind of enjoy it. I suppose if I were shooting a lot of different guns, the enjoyment of cleaning may get old.

I just recently picked up a CZ 75 Shadow. I do the basic field strip cleaning but have not attempted a detailed strip. The CZ is scary complicated looking compared to the Glocks that I am use to.

Edited by brianr34

I clean my Tactical Sport after every time I take it out to shoot. Quick field strip, bore snake the barrel, clean the feed ramp, quick wipe down with rag, re-oil. I probably have 10 minutes in it. Once a year it gets a complete teardown, cleaned, and new springs.

Acetone is your friend with doing a detailed clean. No need to remove the sear housing just pour acetone and scrub with a brush. Pour more acetone and after it evaporates apply frog lube. David at CGW put me on the acetone for cleaning. Makes it very easy.

I also apply some frog lube to the rails, bushing and locking lugs to my Shadow before I go to the range. I do a wipe down clean once a month or two depending on how dirty it is.

When I first switched from Glock to CZ, I did probably 5000 rounds on a SP01 Shadow w/o touching at all the extractor, no cleaning, no oil. That's about how long totally ignored it took to gunk up behind the extractor enough to make extractor stop working. (Of course removing, cleaning crud out of the caked up channel, good as new now). Now on extractor I use non-clorinated brake cleaner occasionally to flush channel out, and work lube in when cleaning and no issues there.

Cool tip on the Acetone, thanks brisix!

My totally cleaned and lubed Czechmate will start to occasionally misfeed/fail at about 200 rounds if I don't wipe the crud off the barrel feed ramp (9 Major with auto comp and MG RN, CZ Custom followers and springs in mags with extended baseplates). So I just stick my finger in there and wipe ramp off every couple stages. Might be the CZC followers/spring/extension combo, as with stock followers (totally stock mag / no extension) seems to run fine 400 rounds or so until generally gun seems to want more lube. (still getting a handle on everything here)

Edited by trgt

Too much cleaning.....when you start skipping dry-fire sessions because the post-dryfire detail strip & clean eats too much of your free time

Too little cleaning...when the gunk is causing problems

Other than that I think it's a preference thing. I fall on the side of more cleaning, so that I can more easily see issues that might be developing, and because my gun is really close to max weight ;)

I find my feed ramp gets hard to clean when I go more than about 500 rounds. I use automotive brake clean and a tooth brush to clean. Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil for general lube each cleaning and Mobil 1 axle grease on my mainspring a couple times a year to keep my double action smooth.

I see people at almost every match who's gun fails because of the lack of a proper cleaning and lubrication. I don't really like cleaning my guns but it is a good time to inspect them. My guns rarely have a hiccup :)

I clean my CZs once a year whether they need it or not :)

Seriously though, as long as you make sure the firing pin channel is clear and the back of the extractor is clear, they will go a while without any major cleaning. I do lube them generously with a combo of Royal purple 10w30 and ATF.